OLTL: Discussion for the week of April 25

• Members

You know, I really don't care about the big bore being awake and TnT being reunited (zzz), but I am beyond ready for this storyline to get rolling. TSJ is back so this storyline will finally be front burner and not just some afterthought that they squeeze in once a week. I am happy about that.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Marty had NO story and was barely seen for months before Jared died and Natalie and John started interacting. Ron Carlivati specifically stated Natalie was being added to the mix to give Marty some Ooomph. I don't see how moving her from near obscurity to a highly contentious and buzzworthy rivalry with Natalie was damaging to her character. Her story was very sympathetic. She was the wronged party and her subsequent behavior, albeit not entirely sane, was still rootable for some viewers and she had a clear POV. She'd lost everything and her resentment toward Natalie was at the very least understandable. They could have broken up Jarty and given Marty something else entirely, and that is what is more insulting to me than what they're doing now. They could have given Marty another story away from John and Natalie. If they'd wanted to put Kelly and John together somehow, the best way to do that would have been for nosy Kelly to start having feelings for John and be the one who found out about Natalie's lies. I think the best part of the WTD story was the rivalry between Natalie and Marty, precisely because although both characters were doing spiteful and dishonest things, I could understand their motivations. And the chemistry between Susan and Melissa is a thing of beauty. Up to this point nothing Marty has done is irredeemable. Even changing the paternity test isn't something from which she could never recover. Now what comes next? Well I don't see how Natalie is being propped. John's with Kelly now. Kelly's been elevated to the position of Marty's rival. Natalie is basically an afterthought. But I don't see this as much different than what happened to a lot of other characters when they were being written out. Seems RC is limited in creative ways to write characters off unless he has a particular fondness for them (like Kish), they either die, or they go crazy.

I can't even address your presumption that Evangeline went under the bus for anyone or anything at any time. And yes, I too believe Natalie and Jared got that "no wedding" wedding and he was killed off because they were going to reunite Jolie. But that's all on John as far as I'm concerned. He's the culprit who winds up being propped over and over again. Kelly is almost as bad IMHO.

• Members

The thing with John was so blatant because there were deleted scenes of Dorian asking for John's help. Very clumsily, Dorian was moved out of the story, and Kelly took her place. Like Vee said at the time, Frons seemed to be trying to sell this as another Sam/Jason, with their leather jackets.

They have thrown Kelly around again and again but I think John was their main goal. I also think that was the main reason Joey returned - because they believe viewers will see Joey as a pathetic fool who can't compare to brooding, noble, anguished John. This is the same crap OLTL did years ago with Kevin/Kelly/Joey.

• Members

That's because Frons (and Ron and Frank by extension) were more interested in "stealing" Gina from CBS than they were bringing Kelly back, writing for Kelly or giving her anything that made sense. I knew before she came to this show that the return would be a disaster (hell I was there when people told her do not go back to OLTL and while she did listen, I think she had already made up her mind that she was going to stay in NY).

Ahhh well, show's over now, so it doesn't really matter. I'm wondering if she's going to stay until the end. I'm not so sure she will.

Archived