OLTL: Discussion for the week of April 25

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know. People can say Marty is thrown under the bus for Jolie all they want, but Natalie has tire tracks on her back as well. Unless and until John and Natalie reunite, and I don't see that as certain, seems to me Kelly is the beneficiary of all the trash written for Marty and Natalie. Marty is going after Kelly and making John worry about her (John's aphrodisiac of choice). Natalie was written as the lying liar who lies so John ended things with her and without skipping a beat moved directly into a relationship with Kelly with lightening speed and no regrets. All Kelly's prior transgressions are washed away. So I will maintain that both Natalie and Marty were trashed because Kelly couldn't carry a story opposite two such strong characters and reasonably emerge the victor. JMO. Of course, Kelly still doesn't have a story as far as I can tell other than being John's latest in a long "string" of flings.

• Members

I don't even like the character of Kelly or care really, but Marty was being trashed and thrown under the bus before Kellly had any interaction with John, Natalie, or Marty. In addition, let's also not act like Marty is the first person this has happened to when it comes to Jolie - Evangline and Jared come to mind. We can run a list of characters that have suffered, hell just in the last couple of years, because they came between John and Natalie. If Marty doesn't die then she'd be coming off a bit better than both Evangline and Jared - I guess that's something.

• Members

Did Evangeline suffer through John/Natalie? I thought the show kept her around as a big name until the actress left.

I think John/Kelly was always something Frons wanted. They started sharing scenes soon after Gina's return. Jolie seemed just more like a way for John to have a storyline.

• Members

coming between John and Natalie ruined Evangeline in my eyes. I liked her enough when she first joined, but the minute she got with John, she went downhill fast, trashing her relationship with RJ, with the show trying to demonize him to make John look like the better option. It was all for nothing as Eva never stood a chance against Natalie

• Members

Gina was tested with nearly every male as soon as Kelly returned. First, she was with David then somebody with a bad fake accent she supposedly had an affair with. He was dropped quickly and forgotten. When she needed a "job," they had her flirting with someone she knew was a serial rapist (Todd) and extremely abusive to his "loved ones." But it gave her a reason to have cat fights with her cousin Blair (since RC avoids using the fact that John/Blair used to be married). Kelly had a few scenes with her ex-hubby Kevin whom everyone knows is restricted to brief semi-annual cameos. She had a few scenes with Clint just to make a few GL fans happy. Nothing romantic because they played father/daughter on another network's cancelled soap. :huh: Whenever John had some free time, they tested Kelly with him until a de-aged, dumbed-down Joey recast arrived as did newbie conman Cutter. Kelly was suddenly obsessed with de-aged dumbed-down Joey while Kelly/Cutter were built up and then dropped. Kelly/John are now having "mature fun" (sex and beers) until the inevitable. They each reunite with their long-time partners (my own prediction, not a spoiler). I can't tell who the hell they wanted Kelly with or why they needed her back, especially without Kevin and the young son she forgot about months ago. She's never had an actual story, romantic pairing to invest in or very much interaction with the Cramers or Lords. Other than putting GT on the roster (with almost no promotion since then), there's been no reason for Kelly being in Llanview instead of London. Another waste of an established character and talented actress. :(

• Members

I'm still trying to figure out how Melinda had a child and by whom. (Jon Russell?)

Nope, I think I have it figured out: Melinda was pregnant by Peter Janssen when she was re-institutionalized (in 1981); and between then and 1987, when she returned to Llanview, she also got married and had Paul.

Archived