OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh God, that's awful. Erika is beyond devoted to her children and used to go on and on about them in any interview, the newsletter, you name it. I remember Amanda as young Viki in 2003.

Edited by Vee

• Members

We've had this discussion a few times over the years, but it's becoming more relevant recently for potential availability reasons: Does anyone have a clear fix on exactly when Michael Malone and Josh Griffith began writing in '91, even if their names weren't immediately on the end credits? I know Jason Webb came in in mid-late August working on the Banner loading dock with Kevin, and Jason was a Gottlieb addition; she explicitly hired Mark Brettschneider herself. I've also heard that the new creative team abruptly shifted the trajectory of the Heinrich Kaiser, etc. con man story with Cord and Tina they apparently inherited, creating Cain Rogan for Christopher Cousins via a quick change in the plotline. And Susan Batten we know came on as Luna in September, followed by (I think) Robert Krimmer and Mia Korf as Andrew and Blair in October.

The online data on dates is often unreliable on this stuff, and the available end credits aren't always on top of the changes (ghostwriting, contracts, whatever). I suspect it was in August '91 but I'd like to try and pinpoint the timing for reference soon. Being able to view this period as it happens would be invaluable.

Edited by Vee

• Members

In a May 9th, 1991, newspaper, Linda Gottlieb's start date is listed as being July 15, 1991. It is said she will continue to work on her other projects. Paul Raunch had quit prior to this, but then by mid-May (May 18th), the papers are reporting that Raunch has already vacated the offices. Raunch leaves to assume EP position at "Santa Barbara."

This is most likely why there is no executive producer listed in the August 9, 1991 episode available on YouTube. So, it is likely that mid-June, 1991, until August, 1991, Gottlieb is tinkering with the onscreen material as there is no producer listed. On June 2, the newspapers have announced Gottlieb has hired Robyn Griggs to replace the original actress in the role of Stephanie Hobart.  Griggs claims in a paper from the time her (Griggs') first film date was May 15.  

Michael Malone is announced in the papers on July 28. A lot of the material covered is about a week or two out (lots of references to mid-July events). Another interview states that Malone started watching "One Life to Live" in spring 1991 (probably late spring). He also mentions he was behind the Daughters of Llanview plot so he was there no later than the week of September 13. 

When all this is being announced, the "Loving" turnover is also mentioned a bit. Mary Ryan Munisteri started the second week of August. This would probably be the same time period for Malone. I realize it doesn't pin it down as far as you would probably like. 

• Members

No, that's pretty damn good and about what I thought, thank you. When was the Loon Lake remote chaos with Alex and Cassie? I was under the impression that was the last of Rauch but I'm not sure.

• Members

Raunch is credited as EP at "Santa Barbara" as of June 5, 1991, on the Santa Barbara Le Site Francais page. They have been fairly accurate and it matches up with the timeline I'm reading in the paper. 

Loon Lake seems to be in July, 1991. It's possible that the remote was filmed before Raunch left (circa May, 1991) or it was simply filmed in the between period where Raunch was out the door and Gottlieb was overseeing things from abroad. Best guess, even if he was involved, he probably wasn't credited. 

• Members

Sounds about right.

On a side note: We know that Rauch hired Laura Bonarrigo and launched the Bo/Cassie pairing, but I do wonder what made Gottlieb gravitate towards bringing back Sarah Gordon. The (admittedly apocryphal) online story used to go that Jensen Buchanan came to visit her friends at the show and Gottlieb had no idea who she was, which miffed Buchanan and made a recast necessary; however, this is likely impossible since Jensen started at AW in June or July of '91 IIRC, unless these events all happened very fast BTS. I actually really like what I've seen of Grace Phillips in the role, but there was a personality conflict BTS with Gottlieb and I believe it led to Phillips spending a good portion of '92 offscreen until coming back for a day or two to get killed off. What a quick change.

• Members

Erika was not a Gottlieb fan.

A lot of this comes down I'm sure to personality clashes. Maybe Linda didn't give Erika the respect she thought she deserved. Who knows?

Did other actors talk about various producers? Would be interesting to read different perspectives.

I'm pretty sure Clint Ritchie was also down on Gottlieb.

Maybe other actors loved her...