Sports-themed storylines

• Members

Didn't GL spend an insane amount of money just so that they could built a baseball diamond set for that storyline?

I did like that even until the end GL remembered Shane being a baseball player and I think he ended up as the little league baseball coach in the final episode.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The irony is that GL's Shayne was a LACROSSE player, and suddenly he became a baseball player, which is was the reason for the diamond. It was also weird because Josh became obsessed over Shayne playing baseball. Billy was the athlete, not Josh. There had been references for years about Billy and Hamp and football. I think Shayne was a coach for the high school at the end as Josh and Reva were not there. Of course, having Bill, Lizzie and Billy at Shayne's game instead of celebrating before Rick and Mindy's wedding was odd too.

• Members

Yeah, didn't it cost John Conboy a million dollars? Why in the hell didn't they just go on location? Are there clips of this online? Sounds like he was flexing. A totally unnecessary complete waste of money. I remember that they hired high school players from up in White Plains, they should have just used their field!

• Members

GL had a few sports related storylines before that ridiculous Shayne storyline, it's funny how Shayne's story will always be remembered just for how horrid it was.

Then there was the fact that Vince William's character, Hamp Speakes was a former football player. Was Hamp's ex-wife (Kat's bio mom) ever brought on?

Ross's younger sister, Lainie Marler was a track star and actively pursued joining the Olympics.

As Carl already mentioned, perhaps daytime's first boxing storyline, was the one with Chuckie White, Meta's son, who died from his boxing injuries.

• Members

E.J. came on Days as a racer and Max returned as one. It was at about that point that I quit caring. Actually, it was when E.J. suddenly became a DiMera.

Granted, I only watched Days, but every single sports reference or attempt at a story just came off as totally unbelievable. There is a scene from about 1994 when Roman and John play a pickup basketball game and start getting overly aggressive. For two individuals who were athletes, it looked awful. Neither one looked like he had touched a basketball since he was 8. I'm far from being a good athlete, but at least I know how to dribble and shoot. I'm sure the direction is partially to blame and it couldn't have been easy acting like an athlete as opposed to an athlete acting, but if this is the best that can be done, just don't do sports scenes.

Archived