Sports-themed storylines

• Members

Have there ever been any others besides the Alec Loundes story on OLTL and the the Johnny Morrissey boxing stuff on GH in the early 80s? I can't think of any others. Obviously the reason for lack of sports storylines in that they wouldn't appeal to 18-49-year-old women. Do you think that's an accurate assessment? I know a ton of women in this age range who are really gung-ho about sports. Many gay men--another large percentage of the viewing audience that one would think would eschew sports--enjoy sports. I should know...I'm one of them. Do you think the soaps would have success telling a storyline that included some sort of sport? If could be done in the way "The Game" does it, with football as just the background for romantic entanglements, I think it could work. Your thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the rich, powerful owner of a sports team and his wife and kids could be an interesting core family on a show. Maybe a spoiled brat son who had great talent and his dad always wanted him to play but he drank, snorted, and partied away his potential, golden child daughter who picked up the slack and became a star in the WNBA. Jack Kent Cook who owned the Redskins was married five times (twice to the same woman, Marlene, infamous for her DUI arrests and Dorian Lord picture hats:

(from Wiki) Following Cooke's death, it was revealed that his final wife, Marlene Ramallo Chalmers—a former drug runner from Bolivia who was 40 years his junior—had been cut out of his will. Cooke and Chalmers had married in 1990, divorced in 1993 (after she made headlines in May 1992 by accidentally shooting herself in the finger and in September 1993 by driving drunk in Georgetown with a man pounding on the hood of her Jaguar convertible), and remarried in 1995. Chalmers filed suit against Cooke's estate and reportedly received $20 million in a settlement reached about a year after Cooke's death.

Very soapy stuff. I'm sure Jack's two kids by his first wife just *loved* step mommie dearest.

Mix in drama with coaches, cheerleaders, players, yeah, I think sports are a great backdrop for soap drama. I've never watched it, but I'm assuming Footballers Wives had all this going for it.

• Members

Funny you mentioned that, bc Ive wanted AMC to bring Reggie back with a new gf (maybe Danielle) and look to that show for inspiration. Write them like Derwin and Melanie with him being a new rookie to a PA football team which has him relocating to PV to play

• Members

That kid on ATWT boxed too. And wasn't that guy Doc (?) involved with Jessica somehow related to sports? I know the actor, D.J., was a former player IRL. GL had that expensive baseball diamond set for the high schoolers' baseball storyline. Boomer Esiason guested on AMC and didn't Erica in her black and gold get carried nto the field by the Steelers?

• Members

Geez, I forgot about Tom Cudahy, though the sports angle was never really explored. He just happened to be an ex-football player. Now that I think of it, I think Search had a boxing storyline too, with Stephanie Wyatt's son. Does that ring a bell?

Archived