GH: ACTOR FIRED FROM GH !!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that TC has looked bored for years, but I am very sympathetic towards him for losing his job. One minute he thinks his career may be looking up, next thing he has been fired with an uncertain future. I don't blame him for being resentful, especially since RH was saved and he wasn't offered anything to keep him afloat. TC has a family to support and apparently his house flooded. He has a tough road ahead. I wish him luck.

• Members

I was more surprised that he mention commitment. I never had the impression he was all that committed to GH. He left once and almost left a couple of years ago too.

I'm sympathetic to anyone who loses their job, but at least he has something lined up. And yes, Becky was saved, but she has "worked" for the level of commitment fans show her. I don't like the character or the actress (I don't mean on a personal level, just that she doesn't appeal to me on screen), but she interacts with her fans and has worked to cultivate a relationship with them. People like Ingo (who I do like) have not done the same. So they shouldn't be so shocked when fans don't stand up for them. Politics do come into play in most types of work places.

• Members

Sure, but if your job is to act and you convey boredom, don't be surprised to find yourself without a job. He said he didn't want to sign again, so why be upset when you are shown the door? I think some of these soap actors have yet to figure out that the days of getting star treatment are over.

• Members

TC didn't say that didn't want to sign again. In fact, he hoped that GH could work out something with this other show if his role is expanded. Also, if boredom was the criteria for a soap actor getting fired, MB, SBur, and half of the ABC soap cast would be gone. TC could handle the situation with a tad more dignity and try not to burn too many bridges, but he is resentful that not only did GH fire him outright, according to his fan club president, they wanted him to keep quiet and not let other shows know that he was available until they were done with him. It is incredible that they could ask this when they know that he has a family to support and this other job is uncertain.

• Members

But that is an actor's reality. Having a 18 or 15 or even10 year gig on any other type of show is unheard of. I know soap stars work for their money and they work hard, but they've got security that no other actor in the universe has. To assume that is going to continue regardless is completely ridiculous. As one of you said, the politics of soaps are significant. TC has not really been a "team player" (not that that's the be all and end all) and he talked freely in the press about hedging his bets and hanging on to jobs. You just don't do that.

And I'm always suspicious of the actors who want to "tell all". TPTB never speak about these things, so it's only the actor's interpretations that get press. Given the way so many are against TPTB on principle it's very easy for a disgruntled actor to manipulate the viewers into believing they were hard done by. I doubt that's the case. Arguably if you aren't in the click of SBu/BH/JJ/MB you are not going to get their support. Sucks to be independent minded, but that's the reality of every work place. Over the years TC has earned more money than most of his fans will make in two lifetimes.

John Aniston recently quoted another actor who left a soap as saying "now I have to be a real actor again". Perhaps that's what will happen to TC. He's got the looks, he's got the body, he's got the experience, he's at the right age - now he's got to get the gumption.

• Members

I do think that SOS unintentionally mischaracterized what TC said. I read the SID interview that I am certain that SOS is referring to and he never said that he didn't want to re-sign. SID's summary of that interview is on an earlier page of this thread and it confirms that he wanted to do both shows. I also read another interview with him (cannot remember where now) where he repeated his frustration with GH, but he said that he wanted to work things out. These interviews were months ago so it isn't like he is now saying something different.

Regardless, he isn't wealthy and I'm sympathetic to him for getting fired. I hope something works out for him.

• Members

He may not have wanted to leave but the interviews I read didn't sound like he was too excited about staying. While I feel bad for anyone losing a job, as someone else said most acting gigs are not lifetime jobs. Soaps is the only one that potentially fits that bill and in todays market not so much anymore. And since when does acting talent lend to popularity in any genre. Susan Lucci and Maurice Bernard extremely popular and I would never classify them as great thespians. But the audience loves them and connects to them.

He played the cards I think trying to gain support from readers and TPTB by putting his concerns in print and it either backfired or didn't work. He's not Eric Braeden who did the same and even then Braeden didn't work for weeks while Sony screwed around with him. AS someone said the days of these stars thinking they can hold the shows hostage are gone. THese shows aren't nearly as valuable to the networks as they once were, there are fewer of them so wheres the bargaining power. And while I am not a BH fan, as someone mentioned shes never complained, shes loyal, and she reaches out to her fans. And in the end that helped her gain her job back I would expect.

I never liked him but he can be a decent actor when he puts forth the effort and is one of the few who has had success outside of the show. So perhaps its a blessing in disguise and he'll move on to better things.

Archived