Was another Nixon soap really necessary?

• Members

And ironically the most like 1970s AMC (though you do get glimpses of some classic Marland elements too). There's that terrific episode from 1985 on youtube where nothign major happens, but it's just solid soap.

Agnes remained friends with marland till his end, it seems, so I dunno what happened. It was per his request (some have said that when he left, he didn't really feel he had created it as much since he came to the project after it had largely been sketched out by Nixon and Wakefield). Marland was also pretty busy around this time--his Showtime cable soap New Day in Eden was around the same time I think--and I think he was asked to do ATWT while at LOV, which he prob saw as a better opportunity (also it was a show he was familiar with).

Exactly. Schemering comments on this in his Soap Encyclopedia when it was still a new show (as a soap fan, he of course sees this as a hugely refreshing change, particularly when even AMC was starting to move into the 80s theme for soaps). FOr various reasons too Loving never really got the recognition for dealing so early on with AIDS, their gro8undbreaking incest storyline, etc

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL no surprise to anyone here, but I think she's loively in the interview. The interviewerer (Marlena Delacroix, no less lol) asks some DUMB questions and misses the point with some bits, but I think Agnes is pretty patient. LOL. But maybe I cut her too much slack--it is at least an interesting interview ounlike Bell's which is hard to sit through because of the way he talks.

That said Agnes suffers, as does Susan Lucci (which is why I'll never buy her memoirs) from being too... Nice? Proper? She doesn't want to ruffle feathers. It's obvious from the interview and all we know that she had issue with the creator of Search for Tomorrow (Roy Winsor?)--a show she wrote the first 13 weeks of, for example but she'd rather say nothing than not say anything nice. So there's absolutely no juicy stories there, and we never find out about specifics with Loving, etc. That said, the Lily incest story seems to have been as much her idea as Marland's to pick one example.

• Members

I loved Cooper too--I always forget he kinda went on to be a (sorta known) TV star. Loved Cooper and Steffi (Heinle back when I liked her :P ). Actually I quite liked the young teen/college scene around that time, and like I said I thought Nixon's return as HW in 94 was GREAT (even the bizarro gothic stuff she likes to do--in this case Dante having Curtis his "pet" in a cage lol, and comic stories like the Alden patriarch popping up in disguise as a worker), as well as B/E's stuff of course the next year with the Murders (who'd have thought they'd go on to be one of the least liked HW teams...)(

• Members

If the deal were tempting enough, I think he would have, sure. Of course, it would have been understood that he still kept watch, if you will, over Y&R, even if it meant handing off the daily HW'ing chores to someone like Kay Alden or Jerry Birn. Remember, too, we're talking about before B&B, and at that time, Bell was looking for the opportunity to work more with his family and groom them to continue on with the "family business," so this would have been the chance to do it.

• Members

Well, there again, and I am only engaging friendly banter is another way how LOVING was AMC...Palmer got caught at the chicken shack before Cabot was found flipping omelettes on the short order grill...So yeah, Chicken before the Egg...

Also wasn't there a storyline where the college set...Cooper, Ally, Casey, Hannah, Steffi, Kent and Staige all went to a mansion on the outskirts of Cornith to make it over as a fraternity or something and they held a late night seance with a ouija board and Ally became possessed (not like Marlena on Days, but to some effect)? Also, remember the character of Janie played by I think Alise Neal? She was soooo cool, and then they wrote her off it was like...NOOOO she is actually a good find and looked good with Frankie Hubbard. Also I love how Frankie rapidly aged, then came back to AMC and was still the same age as he was in the 90's. I also hate how they just brought Jesse back from the dead on AMC, but got rid of Jacob his doppelganger from LOVING/THE CITY. I always that was a mistake.

Erik

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Regardless of how you feel about Loving from a qualitative standpoint, ABC kept this show on the air far longer than its ratings merited. I believe that Loving would have been cancelled far earlier if it was created by somebody other than Nixon, just like Passions would have been cancelled far earlier if it was created by somebody other than Reilly. ABC and NBC wanted to show their gratitude to each show's creator (for their past successes), and thus were much more reluctant to pull the plug when it became apparent that neither soap would have the potential to become a major hit (or even be able to rise into the middle tier of the ratings).

• Members

I don't think it was down to loyalty to Agnes. For a while, the ratings were OK. Then the show was on at a time when the ABC network was doing well. When the lineup began faltering, they had bigger problems to focus on (mainly saving GH).

Archived