The Nicki Minaj Thread

Mr. Vixen

• Members

Wow, the album is flopping badly and expected to debut at #2 (behind Taylor Swift whose album has obviously been out longer). Not that 200K+ is a bad first week total, but it's far less than what her previous albums did in their debut week and this is the holiday season when album sales tend to be a little higher.

An A&R guy from Univeral Music Group (which distributes her music) apparently had a tirade on Twitter about the whole situation and under performance of the album thus far.

Alleged Universal Music Group A&R Calls Nicki Minaj's "The Pinkprint" A Flop

I thought her career was somewhat on the mend, but I guess she continues to alienate a lot of the core base that liked her in the first place.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think she's more of a performer than someone who can move albums. She's not alone in that, by any means. Everyone today has to be an icon or sees themselves as an Artist or an Icon, and she just isn't on that level.

Her career at this point seems to be shaking her ass and having albums called Pink. If I were her I'd move more toward getting some TV work - something better than the American Idol fiasco.

• Administrator

I didn't understand the marketing either. Pills n Potion was released on May 21.....7 months ago! The album should've been released in August or September, a few weeks after Anaconda was released - it was Nicki's most buzzed song because of the video.

As for the album, I like it. I like Bed of Lies and Pills N Potion the best.

• Members

With two more singles debuting back to back on the charts this month, Nicki has just surpassed Madonna with the most singles on the Billboard 100, now behind T Swift and Aretha. Bye everyone.

Loving Pinkprint. I think Get On Your Knees may be my fave.

Both this and the last album have had a nice balance of pop & hip hop so I don't get that argument. She didn't alienate anyone, she branched out and ventured into new music avenues while still sticking to her roots. All the songs added to the re up album were rap or were mash ups of both. Again, bye!

• Members

There is no "bye" since the last album was a flop and this one is heading in the same direction. Where have all the fans who bought her first album gone? Record sales are low across the board, but they were also low when she released her first album, too (which had better sales and more consistently successful singles). She alienated plenty of people, which is why a lot of Urban radio stations slowed down her rotation or stopped playing her music altogether. Radio is everything in America, and when stations start dropping or slowing down your rotation, you're in trouble.

Nicki started out as a mixtape artist, her roots are deeply implanted in hip-hop culture. Her more pop oriented songs were maybe to expand her audience past her core base, but they ended up hurting her career and alienating that core hip-hop base who saw potential in her. While she may have gained some new fans, she lost a lot of the people who supported her from the beginning and that's what's been showing in her album sales lately.

Singles debuting on the chart mean very little these days. Due to the way albums and singles are sold these days, any single can chart even it it wasn't officially released, which is why Swift has so many entries and hasn't even been in the industry for 10 years yet. For reference, Madonna has had 56 Hot 100 entries, and 38 of those were top 10 hits, the most for any artist, and it makes her the most success solo artist in the Hot 100's history. It's a different marketplace to compare chart entries today to those from artists who peaked in the 80's and 90's, especially since people like Nicki and Rihanna have collaborated with everyone and their mothers.

• Members
It wasn't shade. Starships, Masquerade, Va Va Voom, Pound the Alarm were auto tune Euro pop. I know she said she always wanted to be a pop artist but it backfired. One of her publicists actually said that Nicki wAsnt a rapper but a pop artist who raps. The only reason she lost the wigs and the Red One productions was because of the backlash. I like Nicki it's just what's happened. Her last CD didn't do well because of it she became polarizing and chasing an audience (teen pop girls) who don't buy albums. Look at how bad Iggy's album sales are. She's doing the same (though she has other factors that Nicki doesn't)

• Members

Anyone see her Watch What Happens Live appearance? I LOVED it! She was great and you could tell Andy loved her. I was LMAO when he was showing her pics of her hair throughout the years and she kept going "Ewww" to every photo.

One thing I was curious about was that she was asked who was the biggest d-ck in the business. She said she wanted to say two names but wouldnt but said that one day she would blow up their spots. Any guesses on whos he was referring to?

• Members

no she said it was men. Plus if she thought it was Mariah, I dont think she'd be hesitant about saying it...lol. I wonder if its Diddy for one of them

btw here was her on teh show

B5G9RMCIUAAFDKk.jpg

I was reading comments and people were coming for her, saying her attitude was stank. F--k them! Also people said she made a bird sound when talking about the dickheads so one may be Birdman

Archived