Skins

AllMyDaysatGH

• Members

Did anyone watch the U.S. premiere of this show on Monday? And is there anyone out there who watches/has watched the original UK version? I have never seen it and I've only heard of this show recently and tuned into the U.S version premiere on MTV. The promos that were airing on MTV every 5 seconds really got me interested so I watched. I thought the show was pretty good but after reading reviews I can sense that the U.S. adaptation is almost a complete, verbatim carbon copy of the UK's which is disappointing. I'll continue to watch but it'll always be in the back of my mind that this isn't completely based on original ideas. Anyone who watched or has watched this series, I'd like to read your input on it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This show has gotten some mixed reviews. One thing I have read again and again is MTV took the cowardly way out and won't use actual adult language or show nudity. From what I was reading, part of the UK show's appeal was the kids talked just like real kids do, but of course in America that is not allowed.

• Members

America is only PC when it wants to be. MTV has no problem having men beat up women or having never-ending stereotypes against women and minorities, or generally just showing young people as big whores, but something like Skins, which really did push a lot of buttons in the UK, is too much for what MTV has become. It's much more suited to MTV to just have a show where people are supposed to be funny because they're from New Jersey.

• Members

Apparently they also turned the gay male character of Maxxie into a lesbian (big eye roll to that), and none of the characters on the US version have any charisma compared to their UK counterparts, particularly Tony. I say just wait for the UK Series 5 to come out and ignore this series, cos they completely missed the point at MTV.

• Members

I need to go learn these actors names but I think the guy who plays Tony did the best job out of everyone, he works really well as a "lead" to me. The dialogue for him, & pretty much everyone actually though was very forced & I couldn't imagine a friend of mine talking to me like that ever. LOL.

There was quite a lot of adult language used but whenever someone used the F word it was bleeped out. To me the dialogue was not very realistic, none of it was how I would depict a teenagers talking. It was just to put together & perfect. I also found myself smh when anyone said the word "Skins". I don't recall anyone ever using that word in the U.S., I think there might be another word thats used here because isn't Skins a word pretty much only used in England? I don't know for sure but I found that weird. I wish MTV would have given this show a different name and used more original ideas. It could still of been based of UK Skins though if they wanted, but...

I think the actors on the show are/could be pretty good though but it really felt like, as I was watching them, that they were just reading lines & that was it. I noticed the girl, her real name escapes me right now, who played Bailey on AMC back in 2009 and she showed so much more range on this show than she ever did on AMC!! She's playing the lesbian role I think.

• Members

I forgot to watch it last night, but I'm sure I'll have a billion opportunities to catch it this week.

IIRC, the original UK writers wrote the pilot, and they apparently didn't really have a handle on how American teens talk, so they used a weird mixture of British slang that could pass as American, made up slang that they thought sounded American, and outdated slang that sounded American twenty years ago. All of the Facebook statuses I saw on the show basically said that it looked and sounded weird.

And they even replaced Tony's naked blanket with SPIDERWEBS!? WTF!?

• Members

None of this surprises me. Particularly the disgusting, typically homophobic spoiler. Barf barf barf. I can't imagine this show lasting very long in its current iteration. Most of my peers are already hooked on the UK version here in Canada, and that's just by watching via online postings. The US version is a joke right out the gate and I cannot believe they couldn't manage to team Brittan and Elsley with American dialogue writers. Seems like such an elementary concept but apparently escaped them.

Tony's blanket change is hilariously stupid. If they can't do the nudity/sex/language the way they did on E4, why bother making a new series at all. *sigh*

• Members

Finally got a chance to watch the show.

I liked it! I really liked it. More than I thought I would. I love the original show, and yes some of the changes are stupid. But hey, I guess it had to be done.

One thing disappointing to me is the lack of the nudity/language. Not in a pervy way, but that was SO much a part of the original series.

They should have just put the unedited version online. I mean even at the beginning, you could see the woman's but in the window, but it was blurred. And all the fuckk's were beeped out. They should let it just be unedited online, if they can't on the air.

• Members

Thanks. I'll look forward to your comments after you watch

I'm going to have to get used to Tony's blankets because I really, seriously cannot stand spiders. It wasn't just webs it was actual spiders. Just looking at them freaks me out...lol. Another thing I didn't get was towards the end when Tony was laying in his bed and that other guy (I forget his name, the virgin one) was laying next to him? I just did not get it, what was the point of that? lol

The way last part where the car falls into the ocean was pretty cool & I also loved the scenes at the prep school where Tony was trying out for the choir there.

Archived