Love Is a Many Splendored Thing

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

portrayal of Iris Garrison soap-watchers might remember Bibi from her appearances on Guiding Light, The Doctors and Secret Storm. She was also on The Edge Of Night for almost one year in the role of Susan Forbes.

Veleka Gray is the new Laura Elliott. She just moved into a large West Side apartment and is in the process of redecorating.

When we spoke with her all she could do was talk about her acting teacher Warren Robertson. "He's changed my whole life-style," she said. Love is Veleka's first soap stint. Her other credits include two films (which she doesn't care to think about), a part as a stewardess in the Elliot Gould film I Love My Wife, a tour with the play Dylan and an appearance on Mod Squad.

Someone else who's just moved into a new home is Albert Stratton (Tom Donnelly). "It's a brownstone in Brooklyn," he told us, "and it's beautiful. I don't have to do much in the way of repairs. The house is 97 years old, and it's all for myself, my wife and my little girl Ashley." Albert has been quite busy besides appearing on Love. He recently appeared in Timon of Athens in Central Park and was connected with the productions of The Philanthropist and Colette.

Very new to the cast is Don Gantry, and he too lives in a brownstone in New York. Don portrays Al Preston, a politician opposing Spence Garrison (Ed Power) in a campaign. From the sounds of it the storyline will go very strongly into politics, perhaps, in time to keep up with the '72 Presidential election.

Chatting with Don we found out that he is what you might call an actor's actor. For the past several years Don has appeared in almost every regional theatre around the country, from St. Louis to Cincinnati, playing all the great parts...Stanley in A Streetcar Named Desire, Hotspur in Henry IV. He just recently replaced Stacy Keach in the New York production of Long Day's Journey Into Night.

Don is married and has a daughter, Alexis, who is 11 years old. He says he's absolutely crazy about his new role on Love, and looks forward to settling here in Fun City. "I had to travel," he said, "I had to do all those great parts and get them out of my system. I had to expand myself."

Another new character to be added to the show is Gene Lindsey who plays Doug Preston. Gene comes straight from Texas country where he studied, taught and directed. People down Dallas way should be familiar with his name because of his connection with the Dallas Theatre Center.

Gene's been around the New York scene for sometime now and some of his professional credits include a national tour of Cactus Flower and My Daughter, Your Son with Vivian Vance. He was also in the short-lived musical Hot September. Gene has a beautiful legitimate stage voice but he rarely gets a chance to use it anymore.

Many of you may remember his face from a commercial or from brief appearances on As the World Turns and Dark Shadows. He's particularly pleased about being on the show and so are his parents who always wanted hi m to be a doctor, which is the role he plays on the show.

Though by this time most of the viewers are used to James Burge who plays Sam Watson on the show, he too has been added to the cast within the past year.

James is a very handsome guy who a while back "exposed" himself on Broadway in a short-lived comedy called Grin and Bare It. His credits include summer stock work all around the country and two seasons of work in the Hulberry Classic Theatre in Detroit.

A bachelor, James comes from Oklahoma where he also received his degree from the University of Oklahoma. He loves cooking, films and theatre, jumping and horseback riding. He's very pleased about the fact that he has a fan club.

There are many marvelous women who make this daytime show really click. You've met them all through other stories so we decided to find out what was new and wonderful and exciting in their lives.

Andrea Marcovicci (Betsy Chernak) began talking about a new play she is presently appearing in called The Wedding of Iphigenia. She's part of a twelve-woman chorus.

Those of you who had your TV sets tuned in on Christmas Day might have seen Andrea play Joan of Arc on the You Are There series. Andrea is quite an actress for her young years, but she feels she's more interested in music and singing. She hopes to make an album of some of her songs.

Gloria Hoye (Helen Donnelly) told us her husband Leonard Patrick is going full swing as a theatrical producer, in partnership with Alfred Drake.

Suzie Kaye Stone (Angel Chernak) says her husband is out on the West Coast directing a seven package deal. "You might say," she explained, "that he's an up-and-coming director." Suzie is happy to be working on the show but confesses a desire to star in a film, and it would be nice if he were directed by Lawrence Stone.Suzie, like Andrea, is a singer and has appeared in many supper clubs across the country. "I'm also a dancer," she told us. "Usually I'm in musicals. That's why I like doing the soap because it's just acting."

If there is anyone one Suzie wants to praise, it's the technical staff of Love, who make working on the show such a happy experience for her.

Sasha Von Scherler (Sarah Hanley) told us about her three little girls and of her experiences appearing in the off-Broadway productions of Firebugs and Trelawny Of The Wells. She is soon to appear at the Chelsea Center in a play called The Screens. But like the other gals, she too loves Love. The only other thing she could think to tell us is that she lives near Jackie Kennedy's candystore. (Jackie doesn't own it, only buys from it.)

Diana Douglas (Lily Donnelly) said there was not much new except that she came back from a week's vacationing in Bermuda and that she intends to do a lot of skiing this winter. She lives in Connecticut, so she doesn't have too far to go.

Constance Towers (Marian Hiller) making her soap debut with Love, told us her little girl Maureen starred with her this summer in Guy Lombardo's production of The Sound of Music in New York's Jones Beach.

Jane Manning (Jean Garrison) is still happily married to lyricist Cy Young and she has a little boy six years old. The Youngs live in Manhattan and try to keep their lives as private as possible because of some unpleasant mail Jane has received in the past.

On the male side of the picture Ed Power as Spencer Garrison and Vincent Baggetta as Dr. Pete Chernak are still carrying the most popular votes. Both remain single, though Ed was married and has children. Vincent lives alone in a small West Side apartment in Manhattan.

Judson Laire (Will Donnelly) lives in a brownstone in lower Manhattan. Most everybody remembers him as Papa in I Remember Mama with Peggy Wood. Judson said that all was well with him and that he spent a lovely Thanksgiving at his home in Dutchess County with the All My Children producer Doris Quinlan. Christmas was spent at his sister's home in Florida.

Although Judson lives in a duplex apartment he much prefers being in Dutchess County tending his garden. When he's in New York, he tries going to the opera as much as possible.

Stephen Joyce (Dr. Hiller) told us about a new film he just completed called A Change in the Wind which had eight weeks of shooting out on Fire Island. It's about the Irish rebellion and also stars Anne Meara, Bill Devane and Richard Mulligan. Apparently, Stephen is very pleased with the film.

Shawn Campbell completes the Love cast, and though still quite young, he's been acting for quite some time. Shawn, who plays Rick Donnelly, previously appeared on Look Up And Live and The Doctors.

In case you're wondering whatever happened to David Birney, Leslie Charleson, and Donna Mills, they are all out in the Hollywood sunshine. Donna has been appearing on the nighttime show The Good Life and on the silver screen opposite Clint Eastwood in Play Misty For Me. Donna, as most of you remember, was Laura Elliot on Love.

Leslie, popular as Iris Garrison, recently appeared on a Movie Of The Weekend called Revenge opposite Shelley Winters. She's also appeared on Marcus Welby and Adam 12. Leslie will probably not return to soap opera.

David, one of the first Mark Elliots, came back from the West Coast in January. Since leaving the show he has appeared in productions at Lincoln Center and was up for a major role in a film which was later cancelled.

David's most current project is a pilot for a new television series made for Screen Gems. The pilot co-stars Where The Heart Is' Bibi Osterwald and focuses on the plight of a young Jewish boy in love with an Irish girl. Bibi plays his mother.

Others missing from the Love scene include Karl Light, Berkeley Harris, and Beverlee McKinsey.

Other production credits include: Associate Producer - Linda F. Wendell; Settings designed by victor Paganuzzi; Costume Consultant - Julia Sze; Associate Director - Portman Paget (He directs one show every two weeks); Production Supervisor - Thomas de Villiers; Lighting Director - Dean Nelson; Technical Director - James Angerame; Audio - Frank Boila; Set Decorator - John Wendell; Graphic Artist - Leo Guiliano and Music by Eddie Layton.

ED.'S NOTE: Just as TV Dawn to Dusk was going to press, Abigail Kellogg joined the cast of Love in the role of Celia. Born in Buffalo, Abigail moved to Arizona when she was five and grew up in New York City. She is a graduate of the Nightingale-Bamford School and Sarah Lawrence College. Her previous serial roles include the portrayal of Patti on Search For Tomorrow and Robin in The Guiding Light. In the days when much of television was live drama, Abigail was featured in leading roles such as in Studio One productions. She also played the role of Anne Frank on Broadway for three months and then held the part for a year in the national company opposite Joseph Schildkraut.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

March 68,just 6 months after its debut,Variety noted that LIAMST was facing the ax,despite heavy promotion and juiced up storylines.It was below a 30 share and running third behind Newlywed Game and Days of Our Lives.And this was off the back of the #1 soap ATWT.

LIAMST thing was brought on to boost CBS in the ratings as NBC shows hit their stride,Days and DRS had hit the best ever numbers.

That was the time that Nancy Hseuh was dropped.

• Members

From Rona Barrett Daytimers:

Vince Bagetta and Jane Manning, during their LIAMST run as Peter Chernak and Jean Garrison, hated each other. During a rehearsal, they had to kiss, and suddenly Jane pushed herself away from him and told him "stop pawing me!" She walked off angrily. After that they barely spoke to each other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

June 68 Variety reported that Joe Hardy and Don Ettlinger were now on the show as producer and writer and that CBS was planning a promotional push as big as the launch promo.The new team planned to introduce a dozen new characters, including the Garrison family, in a topical storyline.

It said that Ettlinger and Hardy had taken Love of Life to #2 in 1963.

Edited by Paul Raven