Love Is a Many Splendored Thing

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you for the article, CarlD. I loved Sasha von Scherler. She was such a wonderful actress and so against soap type. I miss the days when soaps hired excellent theatre actors based on talent rather than looks. I did not know until now that Sasha and Paul's daughter Daisy, a film director, selected her own name. Interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Variety Feb 14th 1968

Conrad Nagel inked for an extended role in the CBS soap "Love Is a Many Splendored Thing"

Nagel was a silent movie star who continued to perform throughout the years. I have never seen his name in cast lists for LIAMST. Did he actually join the show?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
There is not much to tell. Both were minor characters. Betty Miller played the mother of Joe Taylor during the series' final months. Joe was heavily involved in the political intrigue of Spencer Garrison's campaign against Al Preston, which was tied to Mark raping and impregnating his Spence's wife Iris. Joe was being blackmailed by Preston's campaign manager Walter Travis. Years before, Joe had an affair with Travis's wife and was led to believe that he was responsible for her death. Travis blackmailed Joe into bugging Spence's conversations and accidentally recorded a conversation between Mark and Iris that revealed the baby she was carrying was not Spence's but belonged to Mark as a result of the rape. Mrs. Taylor was a very loving and protective mother who wanted only to see her son happy and was supportive of his relationship with Dr. Betsy Chernak. Near the end of the run, Walter Travis was murdered in his hospital room, and Betsy was charged with the crime. Mrs. Taylor was a prime suspect, as she had gone to Travis' room that night and demanded that he free Joe from the blackmail. Karl Light played Dr. Berger, the medical director of the hospital where the all of the show's doctors worked. Dr. Berger was a recurring character and was similar I suppose to Donald Westphall from St. Elsewhere. Berger brought Pete Chernak to the hospital to develop laser surgery research, and was always around to play a part in whatever professional or personal problems the medical characters had. Karl Light just died recently, within the past year. He played Springfield's mayor on Guiding Light in the 1980s.