Love Is a Many Splendored Thing

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I didn't realize the Averys had been subwriters under Irna Phillips. In the 1960s, the Averys were mentioned in the Palm Beach social column whenever they were visiting Jane's mother, Helen. Before writing soaps, they had written some books about travel and eating around the world. Later, they transitioned into television and wrote 'The Secret Storm' for several years. Jane had been a model at one point in her life, and I got the sense the Averys lived a very affluent lifestyle and would have been at home with the residents of Woodbridge. While Jane's mother lived in Florida, the Averys lived in Fairfield County with their two daughters. Both girls got married in the late 1960s / early 1970s, and I've found little reference to the Averys after that.

• Members

Thank you so much for sharing this, Carl. Beverlee looks lovely in these photographs, I always preferred her with longer hair. The style she wore on Another World for most of the 70s made her look far older than her years, IMO. She was just exquisite. It is also interesting to read about her life in Oklahoma, which somewhat resembles the family origins of Steven Frame. I suppose this is why she successfully played Emma.

I can never get enough of these old articles, and actually purchasing the magazines now can be prohibitively expensive. Many are selling for over $50. I truly appreciate you taking the time to scan, type, and upload them for us.

• Members

I'm just glad people enjoy reading them. Aside from a few fleeting glimpses at WOST and some old AW snippets from the 70's I didn't have a lot of involvement in older soaps until a few years ago, so it's been amazing to find so many other fans who have so much info, episodes, etc. I always look forward to your material and your comments.

I agree that she did look older than her age on AW - someone I was watching with recently kept saying there was no way she was Mac's daughter.

I've never really seen her look the way she does in these photos - I especially like the one where she's holding her scarf over her head, on the last page.

• Members

That may very well be my new all-time favorite photo of her, she is luminous. Thank you so much for this Carl, saynotoursoap has already said it best.

Is it bad that if I ever met James Earl Jones the first thing I'd ask him about was working with Beverlee McKinsey? She mentions Robert Hooks, that's who she did Dutchman with (which was later made into a film with Shirley Knight and Al Freeman, Jr.).

• Members

There was a You Tube vid for a time that had a LIAMST episode centering on Julie, Ricky, Helen and Tom. Julie had Ricky over for dinner and Helen and Julie went at it over custody. I think Zaslow was in it, along with Judson Laire. It has never re-surfaced but it was a great treat to see that storyline.

• Members

A November 1982 Digest catchup on the cast. For some reason I couldn't get the first page to load but all it was was 1982-era photos of Veleka Gray, Leslie Charleson, Donna Mills, Ed Power. This was put together by Linda Susman.

11982SOD051.jpg

11982SOD052.jpg