Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

I saw an interview on youtube a long time ago with graphic artist Sandy DeVore. He did the Y&R credits along with tons of other shows like The Waltons, The Patridge Family etc...He said he retired from title making in 1988, which would explain Y&R changing from the charcoal/pencil sketches to live action shots that year. They retained his Y&R brush stroke logo that first appeared around 1984. 

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

No, you're not the only one.  I found myself trying to hazard a guess as to whether Cooper and Kayzer were in the midst of their dalliance/relationship at that time.  Cooper played it mostly as an intimacy borne of dependence but there was an intimate quality to their interactions in those scenes.  I guess it doesn't help, knowing all that BTS subtext.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Thanks! it did work this time!

Please register in order to view this content

These are so well done.....the music does enhance the scenes, as if you were watching classic Y&R!

This is a weird request, but Do you think you can do another one of these with the current teen scene? I realized that they are all around Heather Tom's age when she first started Y&R, so I guess I just want to hear/see what classic Y&R music would bring to the current GH teens if that makes sense? 

• Members

I totally get what you mean! When I get a chance, I just might! Though if I do enough of these, you may start to notice that I'll start recycling cues from my library since I only have so many haha, but it seems do-able. Although some cuts might end up being awkward and ironically, in terms of camera work and timing, GH is currently closer to Y&R's pre-2012 camera style than GH currently is. But I'll see what I can come up with haha.

Edit: I totally misread your comment, I thought you wanted me to do Y&R's teen scene but I guess I looked over "GH". Yes, that's do-able too!

I'm glad you like it!

I'm about to get really technical here, so feel free to read the whole thing below when you have time.

I took the full episode of GH and spliced it to include just those scenes using Adobe Premiere Pro as well as inserting the background music. The first thing I do is edit GH's audio in Adobe Audition by minimizing the existing background music and maximizing the vocals through something called Center Channel Extraction (the center channel carries most vocals and the left and right channels carries most background music and noises). It isn't always a perfect solution, as prominent instruments like strings and percussion can't always be minimized (or in the case of extracting background music, maximized), but thankfully most of GH's background music nowadays are artificial non-melodic synths that always seem to have this ominous industrial feeling which I always thought was too cheesy.

Grabbing background music is another task in itself. The first method is me collecting several episodes and splicing parts of music together to re-create as much of the cues as I can. This also isn't easy since decent quality video and audio from older videos are incredibly difficult to come across (also very difficult to find in Stereo sound). I'm sometimes forced to use fuzzy-sounding VHS quality audio as evidenced in some of my cues in the video above. The second method I use is filtering using the Center Channel Extraction method, but this time bringing down the center channel. The fact that Mike Dobson was given a go to start using older background music in the newer episodes has been a godsend, as grabbing cues from them have been much easier. It still isn't perfect, but it at least gives me something to work with.

TL;DR, the audio editing happens on Adobe Audition while the video editing happens on Adobe Premiere Pro. I'm really glad you guys find enjoyment in these, as Y&R's background music has been a huge part of my life growing up (strange thing to say, I know). I'm loving the encouragement and I'll keep doing these whenever I can! As well as potentially sharing some of the episodes and clips I've been talking about down the road.

Edited by ChickenNuggetz92

• Members

I'll be on the GH teen scene soon enough! And I'm so glad you're willing to help! My personal Y&R music sweet spot is Ed Scott's 1999-2001 era. In terms of editing and usage, it offered the right balance between the older and newer cues. It was also very easy to get a good chunk of a cue when the last scene would fade to black and show "senior executive producer, WILLIAM J. BELL", etc. There were a hand full of 1994 episodes posted on here too that had amazing stereo sound so I'm definitely referencing those as well.

Haha I'm glad you're a fan of my work, and I'm glad the psychology of Y&R's music is working on you! Just goes to show how influential Y&R's rich music history really is. If I had the necessary experience and education, I would work by Mike Dobson as Y&R's assistant music director (or something like that) in a heartbeat.

• Members

In fairness, I was always more of a Y&R fan than a GH fan anyway (though I've enjoyed both shows in my time). For me, Y&R's intensity is what really draws me in, and you manage to harness to heighten that quality in  the GH scenes. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.