Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

^  Thank you LTM1997 and YRfan23! What a treasure!

Margaret Mason’s Eve is scary AF!  It’s really refreshing to see Victor so vulnerable. Loved how he was so drained that he couldn’t speak, and he just waved everyone away.

The Jack hospital scenes were fantastic. Is it wrong that I was thinking Terry Lester looks hot in his hospital speedo? 
Loved the glimpses of DA’s Jill. She can do so much with just a look. The fact that she is married to John doesn’t matter – she is insecure as ever.
I didn’t realize that Patty was initially going to shoot herself before Jack talked her out of it, and she shot him instead! What a shame that Lilibet Stern quit right before then. Those scenes would have been even better with her.  The fact that Patty has no memory of the shooting and is being a supportive wife lends a creepy subtext.

Wow, that whole action sequence with the Williams family was so expensive and elaborate! Exploding houses and ranch location shoots. It was all well-done… but to me these mob stories don’t fit the YR brand. Like at the end of the sequence, when the guy (Alex?) was dying, Nadia’s theme was playing… doesn’t feel like these 2 things go together. Were fans clamoring for this type of story? Or was BB chasing trends that were doing well on other soaps?  Anyway… never thought I’d see Mary Williams in the midst of a fight scene, lol! Pretty cool. And Steven Ford is in his element as an action hero. More so I’d say than a romantic lead. 

One crazy side-note of this whole mob story is that Tony DiSalvo got married to Nikki! bc he had a sex tape of her, and she married him to get it back. I think the marriage wasn’t legal? But imagining Nikki in that story at all is pretty funny.

And then BB does an entirely new mob story from ’84-’85 with Tyrone and Jazz… which seems not to be too well-regarded either.

Full credits, how cool. From sometime earlier in ’83…Lilibet Stern is still listed.  And looks like Amy’s mom was on, Loretta Lewis - don’t think she was on much.  Directed by Edward Mallory – that’s Bill Horton from Days. Never knew that.

I remember these Traci pool scenes from the first week I watched YR! Really uncomfortable to have her detailing her weight loss efforts in front of all those people :\  If you couldn’t tell, Lauren was bending the truth that Danny asked her to marry him

Please register in order to view this content

Great to see the clips again of BD’s first day back – they used to be on YT.  Her acting was good here. Jill's dramatic reaction to Dina is more understandable once you realize she’s been drinking. First time seeing the follow-up scenes with Jack – really demonstrated the tension btw these two.

Cool how Victor and Miguel were speaking Spanish to each other. Wonder when/why they dropped that…

I just can’t buy Dorothy Maguire as Eric Braeden’s mom. Didn’t find these scenes moving. Anyone remember the explanation given for Victor having a German accent?

Nice scenes near the end with Ashley and Traci -  haven’t seen many one-on-one scenes with ED and BM. They have good sibling chemistry – affectionate one moment, angry the next.  Love Traci’s elaborate bedroom set, complete with giant Burt Reynolds poster. Back when soaps had budget for sets.

Carol!! Loved her relationship with Jack. Terry Lester, of course – not Peter Bergman, lol. 

First time seeing Rick Daros (other than on the beach trying to kill Victor). He’s appealing. Trivia note: Randy Holland was also a writer for the show.

Nice finish to the video – Steven Ford in a bathing suit

• Members

Andrea Evans wasn't  bad as Patty... but the shooting of Jack, etc.. lost some impact with Lilibeth departing right before the climax.

Interesting change to Jill's character with Deborah Adair leaving and BD returning as Jill.

I had no idea the Williams family were so prominent in the early 80s.. and that Mary Williams could get involved in a fight.

• Members

I previously considered 1983 to be YR's finest year. It does seem to be the year that all of BB's efforts to revamp the show came together. Highlights include the Abbotts and Victor/Nikki, etc. But as evidenced in the above vid, much of the year's plot, I think January through September, was focused on this mob story... which, IMO, is not YR's forte.

Now, I would consider either 1986 or 1991 to be YR's best year. Hard to choose between them.

• Members

I really enjoy seeing Victor's vulnerable side....you would never hear him say things like "maybe I should be dead" nowadays....he was really such a normal character in those days...I LOL'd at Eve shouting "ohhh you CRAZY WOMAN!!" when the nurse grabbed the knife from her!

I knew Terry Lester was good, but man he blew those hospital scenes away!!! Marla Adams was great as well! I didn't even realize those nightmare scenes were just a nightmare.....
DA is very pretty, but she's absolutely stunning here!....her eyes really have this seductive feel to them, when she's just glaring at Dina and John....
What's really a shame is that I think the full episode where Patty shoots Jack use to be on YT a long time ago....wish I watched it when I had the chance! I recall hearing that AE's first day as Patty was that episode, but I can't be certain...

Yeah those types of action scenes normally don't associate with Y&R IMO...but they pulled them off here....It's crazy how they had the budget for all of that...
I still don't quite get how Nikki was shoehorned into the Tony stuff, as it seems like they didn't even really use her  prior connections to Paul for that....and it also seemed like Victor wasn't aware of this either?.....did they have a period where they didn't interact this much before they got back together? or before the Rick Darros stuff?

seeing the 1983 credits was cool!  it's basically the format they use now (the cast in alphabetical order) but it looks much cooler seeing the characters drawings off to the side......it's also kind of weird seeing Robert Colbert's/Stuart's name still being listed....I wonder how often he even appeared until he left town as well...

It's hard to really choose between which are the best years, because most of the past years are! haha but 1991 is probably my favorite year as well! and so is 1993! I would have to see more consecutive 70's/80's stuff to pick a favorite year from there.