Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Thanks, for some reason I can’t imagine someone like Faren fitting in during that more current-ish time on Y&R, so maybe that’s why Andy came back single...I can’t really picture a long term relationship with Andy and Susan’s Diane either...

ahh ok, I guess maybe Joanna lend Lauren the suite after she left in 1989...

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was happy the show remember Andy and Diane were previously together...but i could see why they didnt resume since she was still hing up on Jack when Andy was visiting again...there was a spark, but storywise I could see Andy opting to not go down that road again.

Lauren/Traci had some ceasefire periods...the late 80s was one of those periods especially during the Lisa kidnapping Brad era.  

• Members

Watched the 1989 episode...

I didn't realize Philip lived this far into 1989. They really upped the heartbreak for his death, with Nina knowing he was off the wagon again and agreeing to keep quiet. Thom Bierdz wasn't much of an actor but he played these types of scenes well. And poor Nina - Tricia Cast always added so much honesty and intelligence and sadness to her work. Telling Rex that she has everything she wants, yet we know (and she soon knows) this can't last. Her relationship with Rex - the two outsiders - is touching. Rex as the outsider of the family added such a fresh perspective on the Chancellor dynamics and the Jill and Katherine dynamics. It's a shame he was so casually disposed of. 

I had to laugh at Brittany wearing her smart lady lawyer glasses - it doesn't really work. Those are good scenes though, with the judge and the court seeming genuine and the jail having a real sense of menace (did you notice the maniacal laughter in the background as they cut from one of Paul's scenes?). I also laughed at Mary, Lynne, etc. all trying to talk to Paul in court as the bailiff tells them to stop. 

I'd forgotten there was a Clint before the one we saw most of the time. This guy seems very different - although not bad. I wonder if they decided they needed a more snazzy, slick figure once they moved into the con portion. 

Patty Weaver was also such an intelligent, unique actress. How I took for granted seeing women like Patty and Tricia on daytime,

Chase is so cute in that last scene with Cricket. It's too bad that pairing never went anywhere. Cricket looks like she just got off the Gunsmoke set. 

Her icky sweet "little sister" scenes with Scott earlier in the episode make me a little queasy...

• Members

I always thought Phillip's death was rushed. He hates Nina in Jan 89, still wants to be with Cricket, by April he is married and drinking again and by end of May or start of June he is dead. I think his death might have been last week of May 89. Within a month Nina inherited everything and has moved into an apartment and is trying to hire Esther away from Kay. Almost seems like Bell just needed to get rid of Phillip and resolve everything to push other stories forward. 

• Members

Actually the actor quit due to family issues.  If I recall, his brother killed either their mom or dad...and the actor had to leave the show suddenly...hence why Bill bell killed him off.  It did kick off Nina vs jill/Kay in full force.....and Chase/Nina seemed more end game then the stupid bug.

• Members

Does anyone exactly remember when Joanna talked John into getting an eye-lift? I would love to see that scene again someday.  I think it was sometime in the late '80s. I remember watching the original airing as a teen, and thinking it seemed really strange. It was like a PSA. Joanna was reassuring him, "everyone's doing it these days", and "don't be embarrassed to do it just because you're a man". It felt like "Katherine Chancellor's Facelift, the Sequel"

I'm not sure, but I imagine the point of the scene was because Jerry Douglas decided to have an eye-lift in real life?

• Members

I wouldn't have killed Philip.. I would have done a runaway groom situation where Nina is left at the altar with Jill/Katherine gloating.  I think having Nina inherit all the money kind of hindered her character.. she no longer had drive that she had in the first few years of her stint.

• Members

Yeah I never thought of that, but it is true. Bell redeemed the character of Nina and made her more of a long suffering soap heroine. It took all the edge out of her and she lost her motivation, 86-88 Nina would have never fallen for David or Ryan. Re-watching a lot of the David Kimble story, I am amazed at how stupid Nina had to be to push the story.

• Members

Well, Nina was a character that had never had a cent to her name or much stability, so I could see her being manipulated by a smooth talker.

Weren't there some scenes after she first got the money where she had a bunch of hangers on mooching off her and Cricket (of course) had to set her straight about these fake friends?

• Members

Yeah but the fact Cricket, the person who saved her from Rose and was her best friend told her David threatened her and she didn't believe her, was just a little too much to buy. I could get Nina being insecure and being taken for a ride by David (at least by that point) Nina had changed, but it was frustrating to see Cricket giver her word, a woman who never lied to Nina and helped her in every way she could, be totally ignored and called a liar. That was too much. It seemed even over the top for Nina to totally throw Cricket under a bus for David.

Edited by will81