Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Summary of SOD synopsis Nov 1979 (maybe Sept onscreen?)

Lance tells Lucas he will work for Prentiss and Lucas offers war torn Santa Domingo,where Prentiss Industriees is hurting. Lance accepts.

Lorie is pleased that the brothers are working towards reconciling but when Lucas lets her know where Lance is headed, she turns on him.To himself,Lucas justifies that he just wants his wife ans son without complications.

Lorie tells Leslie where Lance has gone.Les tries to make contact and is horrified that the phone lines are down.Witnessing Leslie's reaction,Lorie is sure that Leslie is in love with Lance.

Brock is mourning Kay when she reveals herself, leaving Brock stunned.Kay explains she wants to test Derek's fidelity and pay back Suzanne.

Suzanne almost seduces Derek,but she begins to hear voices and Derek thinks she is drunk. So Derek visits Jill and professes his love. Jill is tempted but insists to Derek she wants to make a go of her marriage to Stu.

At Lorie's urging,Snapper speaks to Jill about ending her marriage.

Jill asks Stu to use the house for Greg and Nikki's marriage but he refuses as it would be awkward for Liz.But Liz insists that it would be OK as Greg and Nikki deserve the best for the day,leaving Stu full of admiration for Liz's selflessness.

Casey questions Nikki as to whether she and Greg have discussed work, kids etc.Nikki is unable to answer but Greg allays her fears saying they will deal with these issues together when the time comes.

Chris is frustrated by not being pregnant.

Liz and Snapper agree to give flighty Nikki a chance.

Lorie is frantic that Lance has been killed.

Paul visits Nikki to tell her that he wasn't just using her-he loved her. Nikki admits that she loved him too. They share a passionate goodbye kiss, which leaves Nikki uncertain as to whether she's ready to settle down.

Leslie too turns on Lucas.

Stu begs Jill to give up on this marriage.

Brock agrees to help Kay by going to Derek and telling him it's time to move on and find another woman. Kay has realized her marriage to Derek is over but she can help Liz by having Jill end her marriage to Stu.

Lucas defends himself by telling Les that Lance willingly went to Santa Domingo. Leslie isn't totally buying it.Lucas pleads with her to make their marriage work.Les agrees to stay but sleep in the guest room.

Greg and Nikki are married.

Jill tells Derek her marriage to Stu is not filling all her needs.Will Derek marry her immediately? Suzanne overhears and is seething.Before Derek can give Jill an answer, she phones Derek with a fake emergency at the salon. Suzanne then enters and lets Jill know she and Derek are planning to be married.A devastated Jill leaves.

When Derek returns ,Suzanne lies that Jill made a call and hurried out, saying she didn't want Derek to contact her.Derek is confused as to what Jill is up yo.

OK,Jill tells Stu.She will leave the marriage right away with a good cash settlement.Stu agrees as he says he wants Jill and Phillip to be secure. He no longer holds Jill in contempt.Jill explains that as Derek is marrying Suzanne, she needs the money to survive.

Lance arrives home safely and assures Lorie that Lucas did not demand he go,it was his own idea.Lorie realizes both she and Les owe Lucas an apology.

The maestro tells Leslie in a roundabout way that Lucas was in Australia and caught Lance and Leslie together.Will Les reconsider her feelings to Lucas and try to save her marriage?

• Members

Reading these summaries just makes me wonder why Brenda Dickson felt Jill had changed so much since her exit. Is it because at this point Jill was scheming for love, or for Philip's protection, whereas in her second run Jill was out for herself?

• Members

I didn't know police were called either.

I know Jeanne Cooper had a lot to do with it, but given Bergman's newcomer status (2 years) at this time, he was lucky to keep his job.

In today's soap world the "press" would choose sides and demand the actor they dislike get fired.

I wonder what the additional injuries were...

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The funny thing is, watching these old clips lately, it looks to me like Brenda is the only one who changed Jill. I have almost exact scenes with Brenda Dickson and Deborah Adair dealing with Dina's return to town and Deborah plays Jill as a vixen, but she has heart and compassion whereas when Brenda returns her Jill is just pure ice. I think it has to do with who was the better actor and how they read the material.

• Members

It seems that Jill was happy to have Greg and Nikki marry in the Brooks home ,but maybe this was more to do with establishing herself as lady of the manor than any consideration for Nikki.Snapper and Liz are shown as havinh reservations about Nikki but not Jill.Maybe she was too wrapped up in her own problems and that angle wasn't fully explored.

With Lance going to Santa Domingo,it seems that they played it that Lance was more than willing to go and Lucas was a bit more hesitant.I think the underlying theme here was that Lucas was out of his depth running the business whereas Lance was much more confident with dealing with the precarious situation.

In the months to follow the Jill/Derek/Kay/Suzanne story got more convoluted and the motives seemed muddy. Then when Brenda left and the show went to an hour,Jill was out of the equation and the whole intrigue at Chancellor story took hold.

Interesting that Paul/Nikki was still being played, giving Bill another possible angle to explore.

• Members

Thanks for the extra details, Paul Raven. I read it as Lucas wanting him to for nefarious reasons. I'm glad that wasn't the case.

In one of those later Lorie clips, she forlornly calls Lucas her "best friend." And that made me so sad, because no soap today would write a strong friendship between a man and a woman. :(

• Members

Thanks for the 1979 summary and the 1991 article. I remember when that brawl happened and knew that Eric Braeden was probably running his mouth to provoke it.

I wish we could get our hands on some complete episodes from 79, especially Greg & Nikki's wedding. I remember reading a long time ago that Liz gave her mothers wedding ring to Greg to give to Nikki on their wedding day. I wonder how much Nikki interacted with the Brooks sisters other than Chris at this point ? I know later Peggy went undercover in the cult to help Nikki & Paul. It seems like Nikki had more interaction with Leslie & Lorie during her Victor period.

Bill Bell had storyline groupings that kept certain characters isolated from others. Nikki was friends with Brock, but didn't interact with Katherine till she started working at the Bayou and Cash became Kay's boy toy. Casey knew Katherine and Victor before Nikki.

Speaking of Cash, Katherine took Liz down to the Bayou to see him strip, and Liz was embarrased. When Liz told Stu, he was laughing his butt off and told her maybe he needed to get some sexy stuff to entertain her at home, so she wouldn't have to go all the way out to there.

• Members

Yes! And the Brenda that returned was NOTHING like the Brenda that appeared before. Hell, Deborah Adair only matured and perfected what SHE had established. It's painful watching those 83 scenes and seeing how one note she is. I do think she eventually settled in and became the "Welcome To My Home" legend we remember.

• Members

I've been watching the divorce saga with my mother (who watched some of the '70s but not past the early '80 and didn't start again until the late '80s, so to her Brenda's 80's version of Jill was a total stranger), and I hadn't seen a lot of it before. I feel like at some points Brenda genuinely does try to add some fragility, nuance, and subtlety to her roadshow Joan Crawford act, especially when she's with Jeanne Cooper or Terry Lester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZO4Cd24-U4&list=UUMzfXBdkJBnz14rGTDBnVDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rskAlADfO0Y&index=75&list=UUMzfXBdkJBnz14rGTDBnVDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcsL43u_Bk&list=UUMzfXBdkJBnz14rGTDBnVDw&index=73

It seemed like by her last year she'd just retreated totally behind the mask and stopped trying. It's a shame. I wonder if she had stayed, if she could have pulled it back.

I must say it's incredibly hilarious how Jill tells Michael Crawford nothing and he just has to try to blindly pace through this and try not to show her how angry he is/how much he wants her. It's like a parody of the superlawyer that we so often get on soaps.