Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

It did kinda happen that way from what I can tell, only in a condensed period of time.

Carl was first seen in Jan 1980, investigating the Walter Addison death. Then Steve Wiliams was hired as a reporter by Stuart Brooks two weeks later and he was on the case too and mentions his detective father. Ironically Paul was not seen during this time. I believe Doug Davidson was finally getting a contract and was in negotiations. Suddenly he reappears and has beef with Steve, feeling he was the favoured son. Before we know it in March Mary has her menopausal pregnancy and out of nowhere Patty shows up isn't happy about her old mum being pregnant. 

Within a few months Mary loses the baby, April reveals she has a baby with one of the Williams boys (her parents assume Steve), Paul joins a cult, Steve and Peggy investigate the cult and Patty goes upstairs one day and comes back down six months later as blond Lilibet Stern. 

I think the issue is the family was kinda just there and already in the middle of drama without the audience being given the chance to get to know them, I am pretty sure Doug Davidson had been on recurring and was not a major character before the Williams were built around him, which started without him being onscreen. Bell usually took six months to introduce new characters before giving them lead story. Not so with the Williams.

Interesting that anyone tried to make Bell out to be a monster. I could see him being shown as a little cold, as he did seem to have a reserve about him. 

I can imagine all the digging from Irna probably left him with a bit of a complex that created the temprement. It must be hard to take criticism from anyone when someone you admired basically told you that you're a loser. 

It is funny, I went through all the end credits of the episodes we have. James Riley just pops up as a Story Consultant out of nowhere and disappears almost as quick. Nice to know Kay and James got along. I really love the era Sally Sussman was with the show. I know Terry Lester loved her too and when he left claimed she was the sole reason the Abbotts were successful and got story. I think Bell must have been pretty annoyed by that. I wish Terry hadn't burned his bridges and had come back. 

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was never a regular DAYS viewers, but judging from the IMDb credits, it seems like James E. Reilly was lured to CBS by the brink of the 1990s wth a kind of network contract. We have his B&B credits which lasted for a mere 87 episodes (April 24-August 22, 1990) as "consultant" - and I assume Y&R was around the same time - before he got on board at GL where he stayed for the next 2 1/2 years or so.

• Members

At GL he was initially just one of the members of the team but then they made him co-HW with two others, a triumvirate, Nancy Curlee Demorest & Stephen Demorest. They wrote the famous/infamous week of the GL Blackout where among other things Mo Bauer is killed in an accident. JFP was the EP at the time. Nancy & Stephen felt that they were yanking their chains putting them as co-HW, the 3 of them. So, they put their heads together & presented a united front. What Nancy remembers best about Jimmy (they called him Jimmy) was his huge imagination! "

I like to say that 'Mo was a Reardon by birth, a Bauer by marriage, Michele's mother by circumstance, seen by many fans as the inheritor of Bert's matriarchy, a tentpole legacy character and Roger's only real friend, … she was lost to the ages. - Donna L. Bridges about JFP killing Ellen Parker's character, Maureen, on GL

In a Locher Room chat Nancy Curlee stated that she wished she had been able to use an "alternate" ending for Maureen Bauer. We would have seen the car go over the cliff & then the camera would pan back up to the cliffside where we would see 2 people: Roger & Maureen.  Maureen would be wringing her hands & saying she had to get out of here. Roger would take her to a car & then on to a  motel where he would stash her until he could work out a plan.

Edited by Tonksadora
Adding info.

• Members

What a strange scene lol. I know Connie was played by at least three different actresses over the years (1987-2016), but Connie was definitely no Carol that’s for sure. Good to see Salena Wylie here hanging on as well although I believe this was the last story she was used for.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Allen Fawcett would've likely made a lousy Paul, and of course Paul was the ONLY halfway familiar face in the introduction of the family.  

My recollection is that Tammy Taylor first appeared in the Williams house the day Mary announced her "change-of-life-pregnancy" (which is what they kept calling it on the show, lol.)  

Paul and Steve were referring to Tammy Taylor's character as "PIP", which I thought was a bizarre name for a teenage girl.  After several references to "Pip", it finally occurred to me they were abbreviating "Pipsqueak" into "Pip" (which made it so stupid a few years ago when Paul arbitrarily started calling her "Patty Cakes".  Doug Davidson should've put his foot down and said, "Her name's Pip, dammit!")   

I'm interested, too.  

• Members

Tune In Tomorrow by Jon-Michael Reed

February 17, 1980

Cast changes and additions continue on "The Young and the Restless" as the show settles into its new one-hour broadcast format.  

JOHN MCCOOK has announced he's leaving his role as Lance Prentiss after four years.  John recently signed to guest star on nighttime's "CHiPs", but his most promising "star vehicle" will be the role of a tour director in the Operation Prime Time movie-TV series pilot, "Tourist", which begins filming February 21.  John's co-star in "Tourist" will be none other than Laurette Spang, his about-to-be-wife, who costarred on "Battlestar Galactica".  The couple will spend their honeymoon in Paris where portions of the movie will be filmed.  

The unusually-named actress BOND GIDEON has been chosen as Brenda Dickson's replacement in the role of Jill Brooks.  And CINDY FISHER, who has appeared on several soaps in short-term roles, has joined Y&R as Cathy Bruder.  

[Cathy Bruder was the teenage girl who stole a millionaire's Rolls-Royce for a joyride, was arrested, and was assigned Brock Reynolds as her public defender.  I foolishly thought the storyline was going to be about Cathy Bruder's trials and tribulations.  But then we met the owner of the Rolls-Royce (Victor Newman) and his wife (Julia Newman), and it quickly became evident that THEY were the focus of the storyline, rather than Cathy Bruder, who disappeared entirely after a week or two.]  

April 1, 1980

"The Young and the Restless" audiences aren't taking kindly to BOND GIDEON as Brenda Dickson's replacement in the pivotal role of Jill Brooks.  But fans should be reminded it was Dickson's decision to leave the soap and replacements take time to get accustomed to.  Gideon lacks the spark and spunk Dickson brought to the role, but she beats Dickson by a wide, wide margin as far as accomplished acting is concerned.  

July 31, 1980

There has been another switch on "The Young and the Restless", and DEBORAH ADAIR has stepped in to replace BOND GIDEON in the role of Jill Brooks.  HELEN SUNI is the actress who is playing New World leader Sumeko in the show's summer storyline on youth cults.  

• Members

@Broderick Thanks for the article. Some good stuff there.

John McCook left Y&R to try prime time but wasn't very successful. He guest starred on Love Boat, Dynasty, Hotel and was part of the main cast of a short-lived NBC action series Code Name: Foxfire, but eventually returned to daytime w/ B&B.

I didn't know Cindy Fisher had a role on Y&R before the cult storyline, so three short-term characters for her. 

Did that columnist cover EB's casting/Victor's introduction?

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Seems as though John McCook popped back in (briefly) after he filmed the pilot they discussed.  But only for a little while.  And his return engagement -- like most of the storylines from that year -- didn't make much sense.  It was something to do with having a French fiancé named Simone that came out of nowhere, and he squired her around for a few days, and then vanished again.  The next time we saw him, he'd transitioned into Dennis Cole. 

I've not found anything (yet) about Eric Braeden, which makes you wonder if maybe Cindy Fisher's character was truly intended to be the "star" of the Rolls-Royce storyline.  We know Eric Braeden was initially signed to a VERY short-term contract.  So who knows -- maybe after the dust settled, we were gonna be "treated" to a long-term storyline starring Cindy Fisher. lol.  Bill Bell obviously saw from day one that Braeden had something unique (at the time) to offer.