Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yep. That was a very animal-like pose (cue the "wild boy of the jungle" trope).
Even back then I had flagged Luan's meekness as the usual trope about submissive Asian women but I had not remembered until now how icky the way Keemo was introduced was.

• Members

What other storylines of the past do we look back at as racially offensive?

I know TLW had concerns at the time about Drucilla being a stereotype but it turned out to be in the service of a great empowering story so I would have a tendency to let it slide.
I was back in France at the time so some of the context was going above my head in a way that it doesn't now that I am older and American.

• Members

'Kong' the thug that couldn't read and 'Jazz' the Mr T rip off.

Again the actors lead the way I think and allowed Bill Bell to humanize them beyond the stereotypes.

Can't recall but was Sumiko, the cult leader of New World the inscrutable 'spider woman' type of Oriental character?

• Members

@FrenchBug82 @Paul Raven Also Whiteface Tyrone. That would not happen today.

I got the impression Jazz was brought on to cash in on Mr. T's popularity. Tyrone was another Bill Bell educated professional with a troublemaking sibling (see also Casey/Nikki, Olivia/Dru, Neil/Malcolm).

That whole police corruption/mob angle during the H. Wesley Kenney years was way too General Hospital/Days. I wonder how much of that was Bill Bell's own choice and how much of it was pressure from CBS to jump on the action/adventure bandwagon. Notice how all the action/adventure elements pretty much disappeared once Ed Scott took over as EP.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

I was pleasantly surprised they showed some brief old clips on Friday's show.  What month/year is this from? I've seen this scene come up in a number of montages over the years. It can't be Halloween 1981 because Nikki doesn't find out Victor's identity until early November. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

I'm debating with myself whether this is before or after NYE 1981, when Nikki says "you can kiss like that, you've been holding out on me." Since this kiss is so quick, I think this scene must have been November or December 1981. I guess I always thought this scene would be from some kind of masquerade ball and I was always curious the context of it. There's nothing like that in the recaps from that time. I vaguely remember reading something about Victor getting Nikki French lessons, but I can't find that reference now, so I'm thinking he got her to dress as Marie Antoinette to study French? LOL. 

Another scene from 1981 I had always been curious about that pops up in a lot of montages was the one where Nikki finds a ring in an oyster. Always thought it made no sense for it to be an engagement ring since it was clearly too early. Randomly popped across it when going through my 1998 DVDs as Victor remember a long piece of that scene, and it turns out he was just teaching her how oysters are made ("diamond in the rough" analogy?). I uploaded it to 1981 clips and I'll upload these ones once I figure out all the dates. 

• Members

Hey guys, just got this notification from YouTube, which could effect a lot of shared playlists that have been marked as unlisted.  If there are any unlisted videos you watch you should be sure to download them and share them to the vault before July 23rd. Once they are made private, only the owner can view the videos.

I'm a little confused myself because I have a lot of unlisted videos on my channel. It sounds like if I opt out everything will remain as it was?

Hi Bold Restless,

Your Unlisted videos uploaded before January 1, 2017 will be made Private starting July 23, 2021. To see the videos affected by this change, click here from a computer. For information on how this will affect your channel, keep reading or visit the Help Center.

Why the change
In 2017, we rolled out an update to the system that generates new YouTube Unlisted links, which included security enhancements that make the links for your Unlisted videos even harder for someone to discover without you sharing with them. We’re now making changes to older Unlisted videos that were uploaded before this update took place.

What you can do
You have the following options for your legacy videos:

Do nothing. We’ll set any affected videos to Private starting July 23, 2021. Private videos can only be seen by you and the people you choose. Note that once these videos are made Private starting July 23, any link previously used to embed or share them as Unlisted will no longer work.
Opt out of this change. Fill out this form by July 23, 2021 to keep your legacy videos in their current Unlisted state. If you treat your Unlisted videos like Public videos (e.g. they’re embedded on third party sites or shared on social media), we recommend you opt out of this change. If you choose to opt out, your legacy links will continue working as they do today but they won’t get the benefit of this security update.
Make your Unlisted video Public. Alternatively, you can make the video Public to make it publicly accessible. Your video will be visible to anyone using YouTube and will show up in search results, recommended videos and related video lists.
Reupload as a new Unlisted video: If you want to keep your videos Unlisted and benefit from this security update, you’ll need to download them and re-upload them as Unlisted under the new system. However, data associated with the original upload, like views or comments, won’t transfer. Any embedded videos using the old link would also need to be updated to the new video URL. Learn more.

We understand that this change may be challenging, so we’re giving you time to make adjustments to your videos before this change takes effect on July 23, 2021.