DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I stumbled upon a private playlist on you tube that has a bunch of early Marlena and Marlena/Don clips and again DH is a really good actress.   Like surprisingly good.  I have grown up with her brand of camp and I love it, but she's really good in these early scenes.  I am not surprised she became super popular but I am surprised she never won an emmy along the way.  And DH has aged obviously, but I think she looks very mature even in the late 70's and that helped her cause along the way because she looked older than she was to begin with lol.

• Members

I think I may have stumbled on the same playlist and I think you are absolutely right. She's even dressed very formal and mature.

It's also interesting how Marlena's style in the late 70s, early 80s has changed by the mid 80s (post Roman of course). She's more glamorous and yet casual at the same time.

• Members

It might just be a 70's thing because Tracey Bregman looks about 30 too and I know she's still a teenager IRL in this lol.  

I loved Marlena's early 90's look where she would drape the matching scarf over her business suit.  I don't know if I am explaining that right, but I always thought it was so chic and glamourous. 

I wish there was more classic days available.  I would love to see more early Roman/Marlena because Don/Marlena aren't that great.  He's not very nice to her and just grumpy in general.   And, too bad she died, but Samantha is annoying AF.   She's always whining about something and Don is an idiot because you can clearly tell the twins apart.  I know Donna was universally disliked, but I actually like her.   I do hate Johnny the random kid Marlena adopts.  It's mean to hate child actors but that kid is grating!

• Members

I feel bad loathing a kid, but he's so obnoxious.   I don't get why he likes Kellam so much and hates Don.  Plus, he gave Kellam the key to Marlena's apartment which led to her rape.  I feel like he's around for awhile too.   I am glad he was basically replaced by Carrie and never spoken of again. 

• Members

When I think of Marlena, or Erica on Days, Felicia on AW, or any leading female character who never gave birth on screen until later in their run, I am always reminded of this famous piece of pop art by Lichtenstein

Please register in order to view this content

Because later they all had long lost kids climbing out of the woodwork.

• Members

Marlena had DJ fairly early in her run and no kids that popped up unless you count the Gemini Twins which weren't really hers.   In the scheme of things her child count is pretty low with only 3 living children, but John and Roman were the ones with kids coming out of the woodwork.   Although I would not be shocked if someday a 1986 Jarlena baby turns up (as long as it's not Ben)

• Members

Deidre Hall is a good actress.  She always had a lot of charisma and warmth, and a sense of fun (especially with Wayne’s Roman).  I thought she was great all the way through the beginning of the Possession.  Things did change for me around then, but I still felt she did the best anyone could with those later Reilly stories (Lady in a Cage, etc).  She also got kind of stuffy around then.  Marlena was no longer any fun at all.  I loved the return of her natural charm and warmth when she was the only one Will was confiding in.

• Members

I never thought of that.  I think Days seems to give it's male leads more rando kids than it's female ones.  John, Roman, Steve, Shane, Bo etc.  Kim, Kayla, Marlena, Hope never had them.

I agree DH is a good actress.  After 96, I think she just has camped it up.  And I think her and Drake tend to just go with the OTT stuff because they think the fans like it.  I did think she was good with John's 'death' and aftermath, but that's about it over the last 25 years.

On a separate topic, I am watching the Possession again for the first time and I still don't like it, but some stuff from the beginning of the story:

1. Mike is hella hitting on Marlena and I am uncomfortable

2. John/Abe speaking about the 'Desecrator' ruining Christmas with the same level of seriousness as if the 'Desecrator' is blowing up the entire town is hilarious

3. Marlena levitating from the bed on Christmas Eve while everyone celebrating Christmas is pretty awesome

4.  I love that little kid that played Brady in the 90's.  He's so cute.

5. Why is Gina/Hope Belle and Brady's nanny?  That's random...