Y&R Discussion for the week of October 18

• Members

Can you blame us? Jill Foster Abbott was a girl from the "wrong side of the tracks" who, with her mother, sacrificed a lot to put her brothers through school; then, she clawed - and I mean clawed - up to the top of the cosmetics industry w/o any formal education whatsoever. Who doesn't love that kind of history?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And that's true... but don't take that to mean he liked her better as Jill. He meant that recasting such a pivotal role could have been a disaster, and it was the best decision they ever made to choose Jess for the recast. All through the 70's, Jill was the STAR of the show, and even through her 80's run. Carl, the bad blood wasn't permanent... Brenda told me that around 1991 or so, she got together with Bill and kissed and made up, so on a personal level, they forgave each other and ended on good terms. Her biggest beefs were with Ed Scott and Wes Kenney, she still hates them to this day. and Cat, your'e right on the money about Skye. She is alot like 80's Jill... and see how popular she is? Jill's popularity has fallen, and partly because Jess is not playing Jill with that powerful, bitchy fervor the character once had.

• Members

Tell me about it. But Jerry Douglas last week???!! I swear to God, he looked like an Oompa Loompa (sp?)

Another comment on actors appearance, don't you think Sean Kanan looks WAY better with his hair blow-dried? By getting rid of that damn slicked back garbage, and going for the dry, fluffy look... he's gone from looking "slimy" to more of a "sexy-dangerous".

• Members

Jill's popularity has fallen because she has been squandered for years, and because those who now run the show hate women.

Skye is popular but that's as much about other women on the show being so worthless as it is about her own character. She is there to be sacrificed for Adam/Shadam/Newmans, no more or less.

• Members

:blush: Sean Kanan has been a shameful crush of mine for a long, long time. Even at his most coke-bloated, his most uber-tanned, I still want to ride that cowboy hard.

The hair looks very fluffy & clean. Therefore I approve.

• Members

Frankly, it's the writing for Jill that failed her more than anything else. Even LML wrote her with more depth than this.

For years Jill was the quintessential businesswoman on the show, yes she didn't have the educational background to back it up, but she more than made up for it with her instincts and chutzpah. Now she's been stripped of all that, and we're to believe that Jill is a worthless idiot that only got as far as she did because she was once married to John Abbott - not because her own intelligence, perseverance, and fight to survive kept her there.

And WORSE of all, Jill has been downgraded to prop the likes of her worthless son Billy, and Katherine Chancellor, who has done as much harm to Jill as Jill has done to her, though the show seems to want to forget that now, since they want us to think Katherine is some saint.

Y&R simply does not write for confident women anymore, and that's why Jill has suffered. Added to that, the show now thinks the business aspect of the show is irrelevant, when that used to be a trait that separated Y&R from other soaps. Their attempts at doing business intrigue have been horrendously laughable.

• Members

Jess Walton in my opinion looked a lot better today than she has in quite some time, I think its the longer hair. Loved Jill's little snarky comments as she had her own private victory following being bashed once again by Nikki and Lauren.

But of course, Jill as a character has been totally gutted, I doubt she can recover.

• Members

To be fair; Jack Smith killed both Jill and Kay during the end of his run by tying them to the hip and being nothing more than some gossip mouths.

LML dumbed Jill down in regards to Glo but at least gave her a love story and some storyline potential, a slight rejuvenation. MAB started off great with a FIERCE business Jill but ever since that contract dispute and Sheffer's arrival the writing for Jill is at its lowest. It's beyond insulting to viewers and Jess Walton.

It's unbelievable that ten years ago during the Alden years, Jess Walton was getting some of the best material of her career and had constant frotnburner status. Sure a lot has happened since those days...

• Members

Exactly.

And Y&R loves trying to retcon Jill marrying into her career.

Jill worked her ass off (unlike Nikki & Gloria) to EARN her career.

Y&R's treated Diane & Ashley in similarly in terms of their careers recently too.

It's all so sick & misogynistic.

• Members

Sheffer and Rauch are lucky because a lot of people are willing to go along with the idea that women only get into business if they sleep around or are handed jobs. Bill Bell bucked this idea and seemed proud to do so.

The outright hostility and contempt shown towards women by these men is now so commonly accepted and just kind of numbing. More and more fans probably won't know any better of what came before, and probably won't care either. It's easy to see some birdrain as a default heroine. And that's what women on Y&R are now. Default.

Archived