Y&R Discussion for the week of October 18

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thing that got me about yesterday's episode was the way Tucker "played by fan favorite Stephen Nichols" belittled not one, not two, but THREE women. If he had stuffed a twenty in Diane's bra-strap, I wouldn't have blinked, because he pretty much treated her like some anonymous stripper who was there to perform a perfunctionary service. Do all women go through this part of the job interview with F*cker McAllOfThem? Did Sophia? :blink:

Then he lied to Ashley's face -- the woman he supposedly feels something for, the woman who is breaking down his barriers. The big, passionate romance in his life. And final insult was the look of disdain he gave Abby as he talked down to her and Ashley chose to believe him over her daughter.

Way to diss your target demo, Y&R.

I'm wondering if this is a sign of progressiveness and feminism receding in the US? I'm watching a lot of early '90s Another World at the moment (before P&G pull them from the web). I can't think of one female character on the show at that time who would let a guy treat her that way. Not one!

Or perhaps it's just the same old Daytime EPs whose brains have calcified after one bitter divorce/casting couch call too many.

• Members

This is what Tucker has done from the time Stephen Nichols took over. Those disgusting scenes where he kicked Jill out and had a young thing in his room with his shirt on. I have always felt like those scenes backfired and are one of many reasons Tucker is not popular.

I'm sure that hatred and contempt towards women all across the media is part of it (it's telling that the only way you can get notice now as a female politician is if you are against most policies which help women), but I really put a lot on the people who run soaps now and their outright loathing for women. Sheffer and Rauch have spread this bile for their entire soap careers. Now they have free reign at Y&R.

• Members

Jill in control of her destiny? don't make me laugh with this. Ever since Kay drove Phillip off the cliff, Jill's entire being has been TRYING to control her destiny, and not really succeeding. She's had victories here and there. But the "struggle" has always been what Jill was about. And how that struggle got her the money she wanted, but at the cost of personal relationships. I'm sorry, but I put some of the problems with Jill at Jess' feet. Brenda ALWAYS played that part as someone who KNEW she was the sh!t, and showed confidence in her abilities with men. Jess is playing the "emotionally wounded bird" angle too strongly... while Brenda's Jill just wouldn't give a crap, cause she KNEW she was worthy of all the good things in life.

• Members

I meant in her sex life, especially after the Tucker debacle. When Jill wanted a man, she made a go for it, she didn't sit around sulking because some man didn't think she was worthy enough. She didn't get constantly crapped on whenever she made a go for a man. Which ALWAYS seems to happen these days. Like in those scenes a few months ago when she asked her lawyer out for a drink after she won half of the Fenmore estate (lame story btw), and he treated her like she was the most disgusting thing he ever saw.

Jill is a character that is constantly belittled in ALL aspects of her life these days. They write her as an idiot that gets crapped on by everyone, and play most of it off as comedic relief. I don't know who this character is, but it's NOT the Jill Foster Abbott I'm accustomed to.

• Members

And pretty soon Goutman, too. Yuck.

Perhaps it is a societal thing. I'm also shocked that a genre which is targeted at women, which has so many female writers and EPs on staff, still churns out this dirge. So many people must have sold out to let that happen.

As for female politicians, I have no words. I heard some idiot yap on about Hillary Clinton. Can she be trusted to be an effective Secretary of State? After all, everybody knows that every 24 days, a woman gets all PMS-y and crazy! :blink:

• Members

Seriously.

There isn't ONE Y&R woman that isn't being screwed by a man (literally or figuratively).

Except Jill (who is treated with disregard & disrespect by EVERYBODY), Katherine (who has become Ann Landers) & Mackenzie (who Maria doesn't care about).

• Members

And frankly, the way they treat Jill's character these days is a huge reason why I stopped watching. Especially when they want us to believe that Katherine fuckin' Chancellor is some sainted heroine, and that Jill is responsible for most, if not all of the trouble in that relationship (which is simply not true).

Added to the way they perceive Jill to be some idiot in all aspects of her life that sulks when men like Tucker fuckin' McCall (who the REAL Jill would eat alive if she had the chance) don't want her, and I'm gone.

• Members

Jill is no longer deemed a sexy, husky-voiced diva. Instead, the fact that she has matured in age means that she has outlived her usefulness, according to Sheffer. Granny Cooper is allowed a new hubby and (I presume) some geriatric hoo-ya time. But as Y&R's national treasure, she's an exception. Jill is the wicked, dried-up witch of Chloe's lame-ass fanatasies.

• Members

Couldn't happen to a more deserving person. Yes, I'm still seething about the witch who ruined John Abbott's life and precipitated his death.

Hmmm. I wonder why nobody wants to screw Jeffrey "cigarette breath" Bardwell and Kevin "chlamydia" Fisher (literally and figuratively) back.

• Members

The key word there is TRYING. The show does not even show her trying now. The show is telling us that it's pointless, that she is a joke, a loser, worthless. Every regime, even LML, respected Jill as a businesswoman until Rauch and Sheffer. They could not wait to humiliate her and repeatedly let us know she has no capacity for business and the only reason she had success was because she married John.

Archived