Chris Goutman directing Y&R?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True. If they had handled 2007 and 2008 better I think they might still be on the air now. I'm not going to say I agreed with a lot of her decisions but episodes like the anniversary episode with the actors playing radio actors, that was a real valentine to GL.

• Members

I will say that as much as I was bothered by what Goutman did at ATWT I don't understand why some say that he canceled AW or should be blamed for AW's cancellation. Nothing could be done to save AW by the time he came in. I don't even know if he was producer for six months.

• Members

How about Y&R employ NEITHER of those incompetent showkillers? I wouldn't trust them to direct a sandwich-making session in my kitchen (so your job is safe, Darius).

Y&R needs new blood so how about hiring directors who have had experience at, say, L&O or the new 90210 or something?

Better yet, how about it give the fantastic Wendy Riche a job or Felicia Minei Behr or Francesca James (the latter two did solid work at AMC)? I could see any of these three taking over from Rauch eventually. Of course I would rather Ed Scott was EP but I know I'm going to get my ass shouted down about that.

How about Owen Renfroe or Scott mckinsey who always do amazing directing at GH? Anybody but those two. I mean, I might even be able to deal with Wheeler given that she did some ok work at GL before it went all Public Access. But Goutman? Mr. "let's have soaps on 3 days a week with no cliffhangers and make them stand-alone episodes" Goutman? Mr. "suck my dick and I'll give you frontburner status" Goutman? It's not like Y&R doesn't have enough *alleged* potential harassment lawsuits with Rauch. The man who refused to put ATWT's interests before his own agenda and din't bring Martha Byrne back for the finale? Yeah, NO THANKS.

• Members

Conboy/Weston were controversial, but they got the ratings up, something Kriezman/Wheeler never did. I'll admit Kriezman improved the writing, but she certainly did not improve upon Conboy's production values. Both had issues managing the budget, but I do agree she probably sustained GL the longest with the hand held camera idea. Still, given the chance I think Conboy could've executed that better. I think anybody could've executed that better. Not all was bad, but the good I would mainly attribute to Kriezman's writing. He did have a few good stories and there were strong actors to carry those stories out. I just fail to see much of her brilliance as a producer.

I agree Hogan burnt out fast and things went downhill by the time of his exit, but I at least found the show consistantly entertaining and there was reason to tune in. Something. Anything. With Passanante, it seems there were big periods of time where either the show may as well have been off the air. Same with this dreadful final year. Hogan may not have been the answer, but he was the last big hope. They never attempted to replace him and try something, anything. She was there, she was cheap and it was easy. Everyone saw the ratings decline and everyone saw the quality slip but Goutman did nothing. He knows how to cast and work that budget, but he's maybe a little too loyal with his friends.

• Members

Totally agree. I HATE some of her choices, (obscuring the Bauers, pushing the Coopers as the only good core family).... but the first part of her tenure, actually the first six months, leading up to and following Phillip's death, were to use the cliche "must see," TV. Also, looking back on You Tube I can see even her handy cam stuff, WHEN Hurst was driving the writing, was pretty good (individual scenes mind you, I do realize it never came together as a whole.)

I will also give her a tip of the hat to bringing Ed back and des2pite his lack of screen time, giving him something substantial and historically accurate to do (Phillips doctor and sounding board) and I never thought I would see another Ed lecturing Alan scene again in my life but I did and it worked. Her BIG problem was putting all her eggs in a couple baskets, (Gush and Jammy and the Coopers) while ignoring others. But at least all of those elements had some merit, not just to be seen 24/7. Which makes me think a lot of GL's problems were due to something, someone else. I would have liked to have seen what she could have done if she replaced Rauch instead of Conboy and had a combination of writers like Taggert, Kreizman (can do good stuff is someone reigns him in) and Hurst.

There I never thought I would defend her!

(

Archived