Chris Goutman directing Y&R?

• Members

For me, airtime is not the issue. An actor could be featured in every single scene of every single episode and still come across as being underplayed and/or undervalued if the writing for his/her character lacks pertinence and depth. That's Y&R's biggest issue right now for every character not named Adam or Billy.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, the majority of Y&R characters lack logical motive. As an example, why would Lauren, who has become kinder over the years, deny Jill her proper birth right? Lauren isn't the type of character who would damn the bastard child to poverty. Jack and Phyllis no longer make sense and Nick sounds even dumber than usual. Also, Kevin's treatment of Jena is a bit over the top all things considered.

Nonetheless, at least the actors are on air and the bad writing doesn't seem to be personal. Y&R isn't hiding Jill in the closet, yet, but have a bad feeling she will end up like Lisa at Fashions should Goutman gain control. Goutman will shed Jill, Gloria, and maybe Nikki ASAP. I see him recasting the role of Heather 4 times and making her lead. BTW, I'm over people hating on Vail Bloom who was great.

• Members

I don't think the poor writing is personal aside from MTS. The writing is weak for pets like Billy and Cane. This Oz back story for Cane is profoundly bad. I don't think the writers have any clue what to do with vets. Bell, for the first decade, had the youngest and most sexy soap on TV and it seems like MAB is trying to pimp that angle while giving vets quickie, plot driven story. The show wants to maintain that huge HH lead while also thriving in demos; however, at some point, someone needs to chose a direction for this show because the best of both rating worlds can not be maintained.

BTW, Kay gets lots of airtime at the hospital! She really no longer needs a set between her own illnesses and those of her wannabe 'family'.

• Members

Goutman hates drama queens. Martha was out of line with her demand for air time and this is why no other show has picked her up on contract. Fulton took her war against Goutman onto talk shows and ended up with three lines on the finale. His ego, urge for revenge, harmed ATWT and there is now way to defend that. With that said, I still think Brenda would was the best Jill. I love Walton but her Jill has a lot of pain ywt no depth. Some of this is the writers fault but, still, Walton always uses just the same three facial expressions.

Archived