Chris Goutman directing Y&R?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

this smells of that former daytime hack of a writter Barbra Bloom v.p of daytime at CBS who cant keep her nose out of the soaps that air on CBS. its one of the reason ATWT got canciled along with the failure Christopher Goutman who's so incompetant that he's not fit to run a McDonalds let along be around a classic soap like Y&R. good job Bloom i know this is your doing and i hope you and that failure Goutman have fun together at the price is right once all CBS Soaps are gone. well done well done Y&R is doomed. GOD i hope this is a rumour and the Bells tell Bloom where to go.

• Members

Child, bye!

Goutman is a known cost-cutter, he kept ATWT looking good despite the horrible budget constraints handed to him by CBS/PGP. Y&R could use a producer like Goutman who isn't into out-of-control spending like Rauch.

ETA: You would think being the "conservative Republican" that she is, Maria "Not A Witch" Arena Bell would be chomping at the bit to get someone in that produces the way she'd like her country to be governed.

• Members

Carl I'm sorry, but you must be smoking something rancid if you think Ellen Wheeler is fit *anywhere* Don't blame the budget, from the moment she arrived she was a failure. When it came to casting, lighting, music, sets, etc. she was a disaster. The reason the new production model failed is due to poor set design and camera work mainly. Those cameras work amazingly well on say....FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS and endless web shows with pennies for budget look better. She just did a terrible job executing it. Even before the new production model her new sets looked a hot mess. That's due to her vision and the people *she* put in place. Let's not go there with that hospital or the Beacon or Cross Creek in Springfield. And she's a pollyanna. Nobody needs that.

Chris Goutman did lots of great things at ATWT and I wonder what would've happened had Jean Passanante not been HW. When Hogan was there and things were going well people loved him. When Passanante's writing started to tank and they moved to Brooklyn thats when things took a downward spiral. Martha Byrne's exit didn't help him either. Now I will say during the writers strike and summer-fall (pre Kriezman) of 2009 when he was rumored to be HW, the show was excellent. IMO the last time it was great. I wouldn't be opposed to having him at Y&R, but he was *just* on a canceled soap and honestly didn't do enough to save it. Their HW situation is a big enough example of that. ATWT was a critical darling and buzzworthy show with Hogan (and yes I know it was heavily flawed), but when things went downhill I never saw a fire in him to get things back on track. ATWT just kinda became forgotten it seemed.

Nelson Branco says this is a temp gig because of a director shortage, but I wasn't born yesterday. This is clearly and audition. We'll see how successful it is.

• Members

That's a pretty lame line if the show is feeding fans that. Y&R has had a stable team of 5 directors for a while now, why would they suddenly hire someone like Goutman, who is based in New York, if they were short on directors? You'd think they'd rather employ someone who is LA-based.

I agree, it's probably a trial to get him more acquainted with the show.

• Members

The problem with the Goutman/Sheffer "buzz" was that it was inherently based on belching in the face of anything ATWT had ever represented or what daytime drama represented. Loathing of anything beyond shock value storytelling and stunt casting for ten minute stories that barely had endings. They managed to make everything from Julia raping Jack to a hospital serial killer to Carly/Rose/Emily aging 40 years to young Will Munson murdering Rose into nothing, because none of this ever had a purpose beyond five minutes of attention-seeking. The hype, based mostly on Hogan giving interviews trashing the soap format and on story moments which, based on his track record elsewhere, probably had little to do with him, faded, and when the hype was gone what was left? A writer who loathes soaps and who can't write and a producer who couldn't do anything beyond pat himself on the back. ATWT was rotgut for years before Sheffer finally cleared out. Mary the crazy nanny. Annie Parrise returning for the tenth time to overact yet again. Sarah Brown wasted as a boring pseudo-psycho. Barbara spending years as a gasping plot device. The crippling Paul recast. Turning Dusty into a mumbling thug. Katie/Simon being thrown into some of the most ridiculous and half-assed storylines ever, draining them of any appeal they ever had. Completely destroying Craig Montgomery. The degrading and misogynist stories inflicted on the black characters until they were finally just ground down to nothing. Casually throwing away any development Molly had gone through. Repeating Carly/Jack stories over and over and over. Miscasting Chris over and over. Pushing the Hughes family into the background. Their attempts to actually write what they thought was a soap story, like Aaron/Lucy/Alison, were laughable, and their stunts got trashier and more quickly abandoned with each year.

As for Ellen Wheeler being a disaster from the start, I disagree. I can't say I was a big fan of that era of GL, especially Jonathan, but that type of storyline did bring GL attention, as well as ratings. Regardless of quality, she also kept the show going for five or six years, which an incompetent producer couldn't have done, not after Conboy broke GL's back. I also think that for her many flaws, even with the stupid idea of GL being like The Hills, she does have a genuine affection for the soap genre, and the end of GL reinforced that for me, whereas Sheffer and Goutman have spent the last decade doing nothing but holding their nose.

• Members

This.

And I don't agree with all of Wheeler's choices, but the show was fun and compelling to watch before she massacred it with the handheld cams and even before then with the Daisy/Foley Brother nonsense. They shouldn't have even bothered trying to recapture Jonathan/Tammy with a new generation clone. But they also shouldn't have banked the show on "Jammy,"(a couple I liked) either.

Archived