Chris Goutman directing Y&R?

• Members

What was Providence? I've never heard of or seen the show. I still don't think the John thing is a bad idea.

I agree about Jill being MIA but this might be a contract thing. Suds Report called this the year of Jill so something good must be planned. I agree about the St. Kay thing and then manner in which she has stolen Jill's family. I love Kay and Jill at war. What writer made the mother and daughter? That was the worst story..ever!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Points well said.

Tick, tock...some peoples' heads are on the chopping block!! :lol: It will just be a "matter of time".

I am always amazed at the arrogance of using the Y&R is the #1 daytime soap line because it is the fact that they are #1 why the network and everyone else expects them to be a whole lot better than they are. Many a top companies have folded when they were in the #1 position.

MAB is a terrible CEO who steals other people's ideas and tries to pawn them off as her own. At least if you are going to steal them, blow the ratings out of the water with it. Make them better than they were, make the show better than it was before the previous HW not almost the same an in some cases, worse. I think the people who need to see and know are beginning to find out what's what.

• Members

I would really like to know what are the things she wrote or ordered Hogan to elaborate based on her "ideas". She is lazy as hell, and none of this absolves her (yep, that verb again) of her many crimes against Y&R, laziness is the biggest of them. She created such atmosphere that quickly pervaded the whole show and ate it. No one there gives a damn anymore. About anything. Had she known how to motivate people and her work horse Hogan, things would have been better. How much better, I don't know, but better.

She should have pushed him in the right direction. Instead, she allowed him to do whatever he wanted and he didn'g give a damn, just thumped out pages after page of cr*p to get the job done. She too didn't care what he wrote and...

• Members

ICAM with you and especially with the bolded parts. The only thing that is saving her A$$ at the moment is that she is a part of the Bell family and they want to keep the show in the Bell family which I sort of agree with it. But even that excuse is starting to get chipped at. I am not going to be surprised by any shake-ups with this show because I am expecting it. And if this rumour becomes true, u know, Sony had to agree with CBS on this.

• Members
I'd love to see a situation where Bloom/Wain assemble Moonves/Tassler/Mosko together to tell Bill Bell Jr. he has to fire his wife or his show is canceled.

I'm still amazed that The Talk didn't get Y&R's timeslot.

Well why put up with a lame copycat when you can have the original?

The difference between a showrunner like Brad Bell and a show runner like Maria(who I assume she's patterning herself after with a little bit of Bill Bell mixed in there), is that Brad KNOWS his show. He practically created this incestuous, fast-paced, yet sometimes moving hodgepodge of a show. Maria knows jack sh!t about Y&R and it's so evident in the way she allows Hogan/Hamner/Rauch to drive story.

I think in the beginning, Maria really meant well by her family's business and by Y&R. But I think she got even more full of herself than she was before and refuses to listen to her fans and critics who are all telling her the same thing.

She needs to be Bridget Dobson-ed. They need to hire an experienced hack Head Writer(like McTavish or Passanante) or a hack EP with a huge ego and something to prove(JFP, Wheeler, Goutman) that will ignore her until Sony/CBS can lock her ass out of her office and have her removed from the building.

Y&R still wouldn't be better, but at least Maria would be the f*ck out of there.

• Members

Most people agree that Goutman and Hogan did well with the first two years of ATWT. The show was a mess, like the current Y&R situation, and they as a team got the show neat and organized. Taste is subjective, we all like different things/types of story; however, Goutman and Hogan managed to get World Turns out of a really bad slump with tidy scripts and somewhat of a focus. Personally, I think Goutman is a bad fit for Y&R but wonder if Sony and CBS think that they can copy the sucess of ATWT 2002-05. I'm sure Sony would love to cut costs by removing a few vets--honestly, a number of vets no longer serve any purpose and Bill Bell would have phased them out, too, as he did numerous times during Y&R history. The ratings for Y&R remain stable and are up year to date from last year. Provided MAB can keep costs low, I don't see her getting axed but could see Goutman as her pet monkey. Actually, maybe she could keep him in check in so far as his messy prime time jumps and 30 second storylines. Regardless, no EP or writing regine will be loyal to Y&R history. Most writers 'invent' there own take on the past or simply choose to ignore it hoping fans do not notice. Until this fall, I've defended Y&R as the best soap on TV but, for almost two months, the show has been painfully dull and silly. Patty was great but, the moment Sarah entered the scene, Y&R became a mess. Even Meggie leaves me bored and this story has a lot of potenial.

• Members

I think 2 years is being generous. I would say 6 months or a year at most. With that said, I would probably rather see Goutman/Sheffer at Y&R than Rauch/MAB/Hamner/Sheffer. I hated their material from pretty much the start, thanks to the vile stuff they did to Nikki and the horrible destruction of Adam.

• Members

By saying the first two years I'm talking things about the stories being tight, sets looking good, proper pace/story development/use of the thirty-something cast of fan favs like Lilly (Rose), Carly, Jack, Molly, Emily, Paul as opposed to new characters appearing out of thin air--show was not perfect but had not yet fallen into anything close to the realm of the pathetic or dead from a ratings stand point. Goutman knows how to ptroperly produce a show, he has proved it, but for whatever reason--maybe ego--chose to destroy ATWT. It was clear early that his new production 2/3 model did not work and he let personal issues with Martha Byrne and Eileen Fulton create on set drama. I see why you would like Goutman, Carl, seeing as he kept so many vets on contract for years after their fan base had disapeared. Characters like Bob, Kim, Susan and Emma had virtually no story yet collected a goodly portion of the budget. Except for Lucinda, these actors were dead weight (little air time, bad for demos, limited range of story) and should have been taken off canvus just like on GH and Days.

Adam is Victor 2.0 and, as a consequence of changing (devolving) social mores, had to be more brutal. I still remember Victor, under Bell, feeding someone rat. I actually don't think Adam is any worse than his father but, instead, more hands on. Victor pays or manipulates people to do his dirty deeds while Adam takes a hands on approach and burns a dead fetus in the fire place. I actually thought the element of the story was well done--creepy in an almost fantastical way and very much a punishment for Adam because his character wanted to scare and control but not kill. It was an untimate violation for Ashley, she was cleaned and had no idea of what had occured the night before, and was much a modern take on Bill Bell's psycho-sexual style. The writers mader a huge mistake when they failed to make Ashley the focus of Adam's attraction. Stealing his father's wife, even seducing her during the break up with Victor, would have made for a more complex and layered story. I never thought the writers would break Sharron and Nick for good but something tells me that Sharron is the new Nikki and that she will end up 'redeeming' Adam over and over again.

You and I will always see issues differently--I like darner story and you are more seem to like the more romantic, kinder style of soap. You would date Chance and I'd end up in bed with Billy ;)

• Members

While I agree that their ATWT was better then what we had before, at least for a whole, I disagree that characters like Bob and Kim were dead weight with no fan base and limited range of story. Bob and Kim *were* ATWT which even Gautman and Passante knew, hence their prominance during the last six months of the show. Characters like Bob and Kim dont need a major storyline to bring something to the table, every show needs a patriach and matriach not just a bunch of 30, 20 and teens running around.

Sorry, I know thats not your point but that galls me when people say that, shows why the shows are all so boring and shallow and depressing these days.

Archived