Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think about this all the time thinking about Guiding Light. Everybody stopped working. In the early 90's with both shows, women juggled their career ambitions with their romantic issues, people brought work issues home and home issues to the workplace, and people who wouldn't ordinarily have stories with each other, had stories with each other due to work. All we ended up with were endless breakup and makeup stories and over the top villains. Never understood why they moved away from what worked

• Members

one thing that always bothered me about carley and jack was that they were never connected to the hughes.

so instead of a completely new character, here’s a thought: they could have  michael play lisa’s son, scott eldridge, who then connects with carly, who also connects with andy dixon, which would have connected carly with the hughes family and set up a triangle involving both lisa and kim. 

• Members

I have just learned of the death of actress Teri Keane.   The first time that I ever saw her was when she was playing Meg Blaine on As the World Turns.   Meg was the friend of Jeff's who encouraged him and probably was most responsible for his return to Oakdale and to Penny.   

Can anyone remember the name of the town to where Jeff escaped and where Meg lived?

• Members

I don't think Michael would've been seen as old enough to play Scott either.  Admittedly, recasting with Doug Wert de-soarsed him a little, and Carly interacted with Scott before she left in '95. But I can't picture Michael (as Scott) looking old enough to have been Lucinda's ex-lover.

While I want to believe that Michael would've succeeded in any role he got,  I'm glad he got to flesh out his own character.  Sometimes recasts get bogged down with their previous history.

• Members

he’s only 7 years younger that doug wert, and given how fast and loose soaps play with age, i think it could have worked — fans are flexible that way.

as for looking old enough for lucinda: well, she liked them young and i think he and liz hubbard would have sold it.

and while it’s very nice for michael that he got to flesh out his own character without getting bogged down in a character’s previous history, it would have been SOO much better for the show had they found a way to connect one or both of them to the hughes.

• Members

^I like how they used a festive, joyous occasion to effectively launch a story full of turmoil and drama. People should have guessed that John would not be the stalker because when has he called Kim by the name Kimberly?

Kimberly definitely describes a less intimate relationship, in its formality. I am trying to remember, is that full Christmas Eve episode on YouTube?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Apropos of nothing: I was talking with DRW50 about The Fan, the infamous slasher from the early '80s with Lauren Bacall and a very young Michael Biehn (Aliens, Terminator) earlier. I watched it this week, it's a huge camp classic. But it is not lost on me that this came out about five years before Doug Marland took over ATWT, and its plot focuses on an aging song and dance star who is stalked by a much younger man who writes loving letters, has a psychosexual obsession and is named "Douglas." Maybe coincidence, but I dunno.