As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Great scenes.

I loved the old school soapy look of Joyce.

Being Greek myself I guess that Lisa knew Nick was Greek because of his last name's poulos ending. 90% of our names (mine included) have this ending. Many people who moved to the US changed their names and removed it.

I love watching different eras of ATWT. I am addicted to the Marland years, but everything I have seen from the late 70s to the early 90s is great soap.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Being Greek as well, that's what I thought too. I guess the line delivery from both actors was just awkward (yes, even Eileen Fulton can falter!) because it almost sounded accusatory, like there would be reasons to hide it but he was standing strong laugh.png The mood and tone was so somber that the humor was probably lost.

• Members

Fabulous 70s ATWT!!

I'm amazed at how darkly lit the show is at this point (in most clips I've seen of this era, and the episode from the DVD set). Just a few years earlier, we have that very brief scene with Kim and Jennifer, and it's lit up like The Price is Right.

Also, the music at the very beginning. That's the orchestral version of the Hughes family theme, isn't it? The organ version is featured in many of the black-and-white eps online.

• Members

The show is so darkly lit, and as I said, cheap looking. Also, as someone up thread said, so somber. Was ATWT always that way? Lisa is not even really flirting with an available man in her age range????I can really see why the show dropped out of number 1 down to I think number 7 before and during the Dobsons first run. GH and AMC, brightly lit and with such energy must have made ATWT really look even creakier. As I said, its too bad that they didnt realize it wasnt Nancy and Chris but everything else about the show.

• Members

Oh I loved those old clips on the previous page! I didn't find that the show looked cheap although the makeup was pretty horrible. I've noticed that was the case until the mid-80s for ATWT. On the DVDs, some of the makeup for the Stewart girls is positively shocking. Almost always its a blonde actress that gets horrible makeup I noticed. I'd love to see more from this era. I know very little about ATWT in the 70s, but everything I've seen looks interesting.

• Members

I never understood that storyline (as I quit watching the show at the time,...the end of Doug Marland's run was not that great and he seemed to get farther and farther away from the Hughes and relying on undiscovered relatives, whose the baby and of course, the hunk in tight jeans with the virgin storylines) Who the freak were those two?

• Members

They were Royce and Neal, Lucinda's half-siblings. I'm not sure she knew of their existence for most of their lives. They began working for her, pretending they didn't know each other. They were planning to con her, I think. Neal fell in love with Scott, Royce with Emily. Neal was murdered, with Scott the prime suspect (he fled town). Royce, who had DID because of his mother's abuse, had killed her. Royce dumped Emily at the altar. Royce and Lucinda made amends and he sort of became close to their other long-lost sibling, Samantha, before he left town.

I'm glad you're on - I'm going to try to put up a 1969 ATWT article later.

• Members

I miss Bob and Kim. Love the look on his face when Allison was dancing..what the hell was that all about? Kim's manhandling and face off with Babs was great. Kim and Hays make such a good dynamic kick ass matriach. Why was Babs acting so over the top and nutty in this? With that scenery chewing and sneering she reminds me of Regina in Once Upon a Time.

Hate Carly and Jack. So boring their endless repetition..they should have just done a Bob and Lisa on them and split them up, had them in each other's lives. The PG soaps under MADD just was an endless loop of Carly/Jack, Lily/Holden, Josh/Reva, Danny/Michele. No wonder ratings dropped..you could tune in 5 years later and see the same thing.

Edited by Mitch

• Members

Allison had just returned, so she was in "lame ass angry teenager" mode. Emily was making waves about telling Alison that she was biologically her daughter (not her sister) around this time, so that might have been the cause.