Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Well, maybe Suzanne might want to head over to DALLAS and play the next New Mrs. Bobby Ewing once Ann becomes a boozer and drives her car into the Ewing family pool, drowning herself and maybe Elena.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nah...I always though Mickey and Bobby had more chemistry sparks.....:)

Speaking of Suzanne..her replacement also stunk up the place on Dallas as Jamie...thats when Dallas didnt give two shits about casting

• Members

This wasn't bad but it didn't really feel like Dallas. First they should have devoted time for full credits. It's important and you need all the bells and whistles to get that Dallas feel. I also am not sure I like the new widescreen/HD/lush look to it all. It looks very nice, but it doesn't look like Dallas. I also think they should have reconstructed some old sets for us old timers to say "I remember that living room!" Where is Jock's portrait? What dining room was that, we never saw it before.

The story however wasn't bad. I like all the complicated double crossing and there seems to be about three or four going on with the Southfork deal, and the larger scam with the newest Mrs Ewing and that guy who may or may not be her brother. I wonder what was on that sex tape Jon Ross filmed that will undoubtedly be used for blackmail purposes down the road. I like the actor who plays John Ross. This John Ross is a bit of a loser, a wannabe who isn't as smart as the people he surrounds himself with. He got blackmailed by the banker, drugged and sextaped by this woman who is masquerading as the land daughter, and his schemes to betray JR were found out in one episode. But the actor is good, sexy, and he makes the role work. Christopher is a less flashy role, but the guy playing him is decent enough. There is nothing to like, nothing to dislike he is just nice and noble Christopher. Ann Ewing is another character you can take or leave. She is non-entity so far.

It is disturbing to see JR with a walker and now he is not quite so charming as he is pathetic. He used to be a vibrant sex hound, and now he is this nasty old man. Young villains have a charm, but older villains tend to come off looking like Mr Potter. Hagman is still good in the role though, I just wish he didn't look so frail. Gray and Duffy are their usual reliable selves. I felt bad Charlene Tilton and Steve Kanaly has such minor roles. It's their Southfork too.

• Members

I think she's on Shop NBC now...I saw her on there earlier this year and was in disbelief at what a mess it was, and how elitist she seemed, as she told a story about how great it was that she'd given the hotel staff her healthy living candy bars and how thrilled they must be. There was also a hilarious moment where the host decided for no apparent reason to point out that the model in the video was using the healthy living crystal machine in the wrong way, and Suzanne just said it was because she was young.

• Members

I guarantee John Ross will end up an alcoholic (yep, just like Sue Ellen), married to some PYT who might come from the proverbial "wrong side of the tracks" but who loves him and has both a heart of gold and the balls to stand up to J.R. and Sue Ellen. And I guarantee as well that Christopher and Elena will end up together, with John Ross struggling between his burning passion for Elena and his growing fondness for his new, Val-esque wife.

• Members

Chiming in rather late with this. So happy to report that I loved it because I was actually kinda worried for this show initially. I feel as if I should apologize to Jesse Metcalfe just a teensy bit because I thought he was pretty effective in this. He actually managed to emote very well during Christopher's scenes with Elena. And what a scheming, bratty mess John Ross is. He and Bobby seemed to be at each other's throats more than he and Christopher. And I'm already getting the feeling that Chris's new wife and her "brother" are not siblings at all. Typical soap twists say to me that Tommy is likely her sleazeball current or ex-lover. I also agree that Bobby and Betsy should show up along the way as well as Lucas Wade. Lucas would likely be another challenge for Chrisopther to have to deal with. Lucas being an actual biological Ewing unlike Christopher, would probably return angry and resentful that Christopher "took his place" in being raised as a Ewing. The "Ann" character seems like she has the potential to be a tougher broad than I envisioned at first. I liked her "Annie get your gun" moment when she grabbed a rifle to scare off a burglar.

• Members

Right now I'm inclined to believe JR was the one who sent Elena that email. I think him saying "I don't email" was simply to throw everyone off. I think he wanted Elena to end up with John Ross because of her educational background and desire to work in the oil industry, plus her being raised at Southfork.

I love that JR recognizes that John Ross is just like him.

I agree with Chit - the walker was for show, to make Bobby believe that he was weak and frail, so he'd be more apt to accept JR's agreement that Southfork be conserved. I loved him tossing it aside to see Sue Ellen, and I LOVED the way they looked at each other. So much chemistry still there, even after all this time.

My only concern is that it seems like it's moving VERY fast. The wedding, the revelation that Rebecca and her brother aren't what they seem, Elena and John Ross breaking up, all of the double-crossing, JR realizing John Ross is scamming him, the blackmail. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed every single minute of it - but I hope they're able to keep up that same level of excellent writing and plot twists throughout the season.

• Members

I share the concern that too much happened last night. My fear is that the remainder of the season will mostly focus on the two young men fighting over that boney ass dog biscuit. Summer sex and no substance scares the hell out of me on a show named Dallas!

It was well established last night that the younger set and BS CANNOT shoulder this show for any stretch.

• Members

I really loved it. Looking forward to another returning actor next week. In terms of the pace, that was my fear with Revenge, but Mike Kelley spoke several times about keeping the pace fast and that is the tone he wanted to set. I think it works for Dallas. I wish we saw the actors in the opening (I loved that as a kid) but I'm just glad it's not a title card like most shows.

Archived