Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A great article came out this week

J.R. Ewing Takes Another Shot

As Dallas returns to TV, a look at how the iconic character came to define our city and the way people think of us the world over.

It’s time for Dallas to make its peace with Dallas.

Cities don’t choose their legends. Wandering troubadours and blind prophets and kilted bards show up at the gates of the city and, by their lamentations and chansons, assign the myth, then flee. It’s yours forever, whether you like it or not.

J.R. will always be with us.

I realized this only recently. It hit me about 11 minutes into the first episode of the Dallas series premiering this month on TNT. Or should I say the series continuing this month? Because it’s not a remake, and it’s not a Hollywood-style “reimagining.” It’s the same TV series, as first created in 1978, as though it has simply been on hiatus for the past 20 years. It’s not only the same characters; it’s the same actors playing the same characters. It’s as though the series is Holy Writ. You couldn’t reimagine it any more than you could reimagine the Battle of Fort McHenry and leave out the part about the flag.

http://www.dmagazine...other_Shot.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm not sure that's overly fair, to ding the show for being generic and not true to the Texas setting, as, aside from the first 4-5 years or so, I'm not sure if the original was either.

I have always felt the casting on this is off and I think that is what may drag the show down.

So they didn't bring Joan Van Ark back because Ted Shackleford wouldn't return? Can't she come back on her own? Just how minimal was this cameo if he is fine with doing [!@#$%^&*] all on Y&R and not having a quick blip on Dallas?

• Members

Yall complain too much! Be thankful he isn't ACTING on either show lol. Now THAT would be a true crime against humanity. I'll find a way to cope with him hosting as long as those casting directors don't get any ideas. :P

Archived