Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

there is so much speculation that Pam will return in the season cliffhanger...also anyone catch the view today omg how horrible to watch barbra walters pretend to know about Dallas ..."in 91 jr shot himself now we will finally learn what happend to him" ummm abc there were two dallas reunions where we found out what happend...it was so painful to watch Larry and Linda sit there and pretend to have fun with Barbra who clearly didnt know what she was talking about

• Members

They did them way back--late 90s maybe? (I was still in high school) I believe two back to back in the mornings, I could watch right before running off to school. I made it through maybe three seasons that way and then either they stopped showing them or I lost track.

I admit, the largely good reviews (Metacritic's score surprised me) have convinced me to give this a chance. At least it doesn't seem to be the dismal misfire of the Melrose reboot. Reading the Ent Weekly piece, aside from glossing over so much, and the odd Victoria Principal refusal to talk to them, the only thing that bugged me was Jacobs not being involved even to consult, which he claims he would have happily did for next to no money. (He also made a comment about how they offered him a consulting fee but he would have had to give up all rights to the original show--or something, I couldn't quite understand the wording). Granted, I'm not sure how involved Jacobs was--directly anyway--afterthe start of Dallas, he always seemed much more interested in his first creation, Knotts Landing (as I am), but it would add a classy connection at any rate.

(Oh and Larry Haggman seems like an ass, but I guess that's his persona. Somehow I had never heard how he was *always* "tipsy" when working on the show until his problems in the mid 90s--not that that makes him an ass, just some of the other comments by him).

• Members

TNT did the reruns in the 90s, and CMT aired two marathons last year. One was mostly mini-series episodes with some from the first season, and the other was the little span of episodes from "A House Divided" through "Who Done It?"

TNT On Demand has 10 episodes, and I've been watching them in preparation. That's where my little burst of "House Divided" love came from last week! Just a flawless episode. Even if you weren't watching the show then, basically everything you need to know is set up perfectly for you. Even the production itself, in particular that one music cue that weaves in and out of the episode in various arrangements. Just great television!

• Members

I can't stand Barbara Walters.

Eric, it was TNN (The Nashville/National Network) that aired the Dallas reruns when we were in high school/early college.

Earlier in the decade, TNT aired Dallas along with Knots in their mid-day "Lunch Box Theatre" block of shows, but for whatever reasons, Dallas didn't last long. They pulled Dallas and Knots reran at least two, maybe three, times after that.

• Members

Darn I missed the appearance....I turned it on to the View but it was already in the end credits....and I missed them on CBS Morning Show too. I tell you they have been all over the place promoting the return of the show. I'm not surprised Babs didnt know squat about the show. You would think she would have done her research before the interview. Hmmm...and I am wondering if maybe Victoria will pop up during the last show. That would be a nice treat.

• Members

It's always awkward watching a host talk about a series they obviously know nothing about in this faux endearing "Don't we all remember that? Huh, huh?? biggrin.png " kinda way (this happened ALL the time when soap folk used to be on). They're obviously doing their best with the cards that have been prepared for them, but it would look better if they were just like, "Now look, I never watched this show but apparently there was this infamous moment where you..."

• Members

Yeah, TNN, TNT, TBS. I can't keep that crap straight. But the Dallas reruns were a pretty heavily promoted big deal, I remember quite a bit of newspaper coverage. I think that's when TNN had it's first big revamp.

My mom and I were both home sick one day when we discovered TNT Lunchbox Theatre. I was cracking up hearing the Dallas theme with that '70s "wocka wocka" whammy board sound. Like I said, they pulled it, but Lunchbox Theatre was my real intro to Knots beyond random original run memories. Summer vacations catching Knots every day, good stuff.

Yes, and I was so mad that I finally got SN after they stopped showing Falcon Crest and The Colbys.

Archived