Victoria Rowell, Darius McCrary, and Kristoff St. John on Radio Show

• Members

The reality if it was that easy EVERY misrepresented/underrepresented minority group would have multiple soaps/shows/networks that DO represent them properly & are equally viable as "mainstream" programming in the current media but they don't.

And those that DO achieve SOME success struggle for years before breaking even (to say nothing of making a profit) and/or making any real progress.

It also gives "mainstream" soaps/shows/networks free passes & doesn't hold them accountable for their continual blatant racist/sexist/homophobic behavior.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Kristoff is playing it safe. The one time Kristoff stepped out of the box and his "Uncle Tom" label, he was punished and "put in his place" by being forced into a pseudo-vacation.

But even here, you can tell that he knows the deal and that he knows he is viewed as being "expendable" by the brass at Y&R, which is why he said what he said, but carefully chose his words.

That's why I was rooting for him to land that Wayans Brother's pilot and for it to get picked up. Five years/over 100 episodes automatically guarantees syndication, which means royalty checks.

I wonder why Bill Bell didn't hire Alan Carter or at least consider it? Do you think it had anything to do with the fact that he was a reporter/journalist prior to being on Y&R?

It's a Catch 22...either work with the sh!t people give you and keep your mouth shut or risk getting fired by speaking out.

It's a sad situation nonetheless. :(

• Members

oh I get that but I really think Y&R is a dead end. If an actress is allowed to spit on her and another wear a wig in a racially motivated joke and get away with it, not to mention coworkers calling her crazy and she's treated like some opinionated and out of line woman who's stepped out of her place, then they really arent worth her. She says this isnt about her angling for a job, but if she were taken back, what would she do? What change would she bring about? The same people are around that were there when she left. Some of the faces may have changed, but by large, she's going to have to deal with the same people who held her down. That environemnt is too hostile, and I see nothnig but fighting if she were to go back bc lets face it, she's said alot of ugly things since she left and really called her costars out and aired their dirty laundry. Untill theres an overhaul with those in charge at Y&R, I really dont see her as being able to affect their status quo and how they operate. At this point, it would be rather foolish of them to even consider bringing her back. Thats why I think going hard on Y&R is really not a viable option for her and she needs to realize that and move on. Unfortunately with the soaps dwindling, her other options are so limited, but I really think it would be best for her to start fresh somewhere else, at least somewhere that would be more receptive to her, where she hasnt burned bridges with

• Members

There never will be.

This is not a discussion that began or will end with Victoria.

Plenty of actors/actresses of color said the same things before her & will say the same things after her.

The question is when is it about holding those that enforce & benefit from the current paradigm accountable for their actions?

It doesn't matter if she goes back or she doesn't because it's easier to blame the victim than deal with the victimizer.

• Members

Yes, that is true, any new daily soap at this point would be impossible, but the idea of being creative is what stood out to me. A primetime soap might work better, a network might be perceptive to that, but even that would be a climb.

• Members

Holy crap!

Did someone say "Darius STFU?"

I worry that Kristoff will move up on the [!@#$%^&*] list for that little bit he did say. How fucked up is it that anyone need worry about that? I know it's a fact of life but it shouldn't be.

Can someone explain the tag thing to me? Please don't confirm my worst suspicions.

• Members

However.... Victoria could have bolstered her argument by bringing up Meg Bennett. Although it was strictly FORBIDDEN for Meg to write for her own character... she DID write and act for the show at the same time. I would have used her as an example, and not La Flannery.

Archived