OLTL: Question about 1991 story

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's Cord wrestling for his life (I think John Loprieno said this was his least favorite storyline...).

As cheesy as some of this was I think that Rauch and his various writing teams were the only ones who knew how to write for Cord. There was a lot of potential with Cord's PTSD story when he returned from Jaba but it ended relatively quickly and after that he just seemed to stand around and be the boring good guy.

I know that some fans criticize Rauch's OLTL for misogyny and I DO see misogyny in a great deal of his era but considering the horrors of his Y&R tenure and some of what went on at GL it's still surprising to me that Clint and Cord were generally strong-willed men who stood up to women but were usually still respectful and supportive and not cavemen.

• Members

I was watching OLTL at the time and I knew SG from EON. Jon had gone from Dorian to Cassie next, which bothered me more, because I had really liked the character of Cassie when Ava Haddad played her. Holly Gagnier's Cassie was sluttier and the fact that she could even think of seducing her mother's BF pretty much ruined the character for me from that point on. By the time Melinda got him, I didn't care. I did think SG was wasted in the role. I was glad to see her on a soap again but I thought Melinda was too supporting a character for her. I miss her on daytime.

BTW, Carl, thanks for posting the Clint's illness clips. I have some of the same clips saved from that storyline as well.

Sigh....I miss Clint Ritchie. :(

• Members

applcin thanks for sharing your memories! If those clips you have of Clint's story aren't already on Youtube you should post them. Then again I don't know how to post the episodes of soaps I have so who am I to say.

• Members

There was a changeover period on OLTL during that time. Paul Rauch had already left the building and Linda Gottlieb couldn't yet start because she was finishing work on a movie. There were several weeks when OLTL was without an official EP.

• Members

I have some stuff up on youtube (not from this storyline, though). Some stuff I don't bother putting up because the quality either of the original videotape has detoriorated or moreso, when I originally taped it, the broadcast picture sucked--bad antenna position or whatever! Actually, it's funny, talk about videotapes degrading but I have a lot from 20+ years ago that are in great condition still. Also, I tended to not save whole episodes, just edits or scenes here and there. But Clint Ritchie was (is) a favorite of mine so I did focus on his stories more.

Anyway, it's a bit of a time consuming process posting stuff because you have to copy stuff from the tape to a DVD, then use software to convert the scenes on the DVD to another format. With my stuff, sometimes the original is a bit shaky, sometimes the copy ends up looking worse than the original, and sometimes the conversion process ruins it even more. It's been a while since I did it so I don't know if youtube still has the 10 minute maximum. Just as a side note, I did get a couple of videos that had either the sound removed or were blocked because of music copyright issues. I had the final scene of AW up and they eventually hit me on that one because of Bette Midler's song. Same thing with one of my OLTL David & Jenny scenes. It had that old Glenn Medeiros song "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You." LOL, I even indirectly heard from Stephen Nichols through his webmistress that I please take down a scene I had up from an appearance of his on TJ Hooker. I have stuff with him up from DOOL and Win, Lose or Draw so not sure what the hoopla was.

• Members

Speaking of the Gottlieb changeover period, VickRobCal at Youtube has posted some of the BEST clips of Gottlieb's tenure. The return of Sarah at Cassie and Bo's wedding. Damn, what a great few weeks that was. There is still a small amount of Rauch background music but tons of excellent Elizabeth Swados orchestra stuff (mainly Alex's theme). The show was looking awesome, the lighting was changed by then, Llanfair was redecorated after the fire, at least the library, and the show was cooking. Megan was still healthy (Jessica Tuck looked beautiful in the wedding episode), and the show was so solid.

• Members

That copyright stuff is so annoying. The moving tribute to Douglas Marland that ATWT did in 1993 is either muted or has to have a different version of the song put on, thanks to copyright issues. I never understand that, as I would think they might want people to hear their music in a place which brings back fond memories and might make them more likely to pick up a CD or get a song off iTunes.

I know what you mean about only saving certain scenes and not full episodes. I started doing that in the mid/late 90s, if I was watching live. If I wasn't watching live and taped the episode I would usually tape over it unless something fantastic happened. Now I wish I'd kept those, as there isn't a ton of 1993-1995 ATWT or GL online.

I'm glad you went to the effort you did, it's a service for soap fans.

Oh and BTW - they are increasing the limit to 15 minutes apparently.

• Members

There's tons of great stuff in those clips, and it's definitely a transitional period (Jon Russell is dating Luna!). The best parts of that for me are Alex's mad rantings to Cassie, and the scene where Cassie and Dorian make up and Viki lets Dorian sit in her chair, where the mother of the bride should sit. That element of the Viki/Dorian relationship I miss. And a beautiful scene with Dorian and Herb. In a lot of ways I think he was the last man I really loved Dorian with, and the last who truly respected her, even if she could be a nightmare.

The only real weak point in these clips is the Spock Kevin/LeaAnn (or "Lien" as they call her - wrong soap!)/Max stuff. A sleaze and a guy just out of high school, what a triangle.

• Members

Not that this is apropo (sp?) of anything, but isn't it strange how each Cassie recast has looked remarkably different from the last?

Cusi Cram: "Manhattanite" Cassie (meaning, "cool, sophisticated, urbane")

Ava Haddad: "Jenny Gardner/Kim Delaney (AMC)" Cassie

Holly Gagnier: "Laura Branigan" Cassie

LBK: "Olive Garden" Cassie

Anyways...

So do I. Years ago, I "created" a character for her to play on GUIDING LIGHT. Basically, I saw her as Kyle Sampson's wife (the one who supposedly died with him in the plane crash), who turned out to be also India von Halkein's half-sister.

• Members

"Olive Garden" :P Cusi's a playwright now, I've seen her name on a couple of audition notices.

Matter fact...

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/aTAZ-Xldvys&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/aTAZ-Xldvys&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/aTAZ-Xldvys&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

Archived