OLTL: Question about 1991 story

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL! DID PAUL REALLY SAY THAT!!??!?!?!

Great sets???? Y&R had GREAT sets.

The only sets that I will say that I liked was Michael Grande's mansion with that cool staircase. Stonecrest was alright and huge.

Tina's salmon colored apartment was awesome. And Dorian's apartment circa 1986 was pretty damn nice. Llanfair was an atrocity. The Banner looked cheap and dingy. Gabrielle's house was boxy. The sets earlier in his tenure were better than the late 80's.

• Members

All the blood that should have been in the pool was too busy swirling around the edges of the damn screen! :P I don't know where the hell my mind was thinking Janice was about to kiss Rachel in the mouth in 1980. Mitch you dummy, how are you just gonna stand there and let her shiv you in the gut?? :excl:

• Members

That was a strangely sensual moment, also very well produced; too bad Christine Jones has never had another role to showcase her that way. Pamela never really did, and let's not talk about her shameful killing off.

Here Janice and Steve argue about whether Rachel should die since she was never on OLTL...well, not really.

• Members

Back when I was a soap couple fan boy, I wanted to throw Gottlieb into a panic room for not getting Jensen Buchanan back as Sarah when she had the chance. And it took me years to accept Bo and Nora together because I so loved Bo and Sarah as a couple. It's funny, I never noticed the huge age difference between Jensen and Bob Woods, but now it's humerous to see looking back.

• Members

Something I've wondered about with Rauch was his view on the Viki/Dorian feud. As far as I know he is the only producer on OLTL who ever seemed to think they had very little beef with each other and that Dorian was at best a nuisance to Viki. When Princi was in the role she was just written as a sometimes friend/sometimes irritant, and when Strasser was in the role, they were fairly friendly.

I guess it's because he didn't care that much about Dorian but still, I sometimes prefer seeing this to some of the pettiness they've been written with over the past decade.

• Members

My guess is that's because pre-Rauch the show had decided to bury the hatchet between the two for the most part. Well, specifically, they decided to eschew the idea that Dorian was Victor's murderer and her character became more comically neurotic. So she was sort of turned into wicked yet ultimately harmless trophy wife step Mommie Dearest, and her life with Cassie/David/Herb and her various love interests really stretched her beyond the Lord circle. I wonder what fans thought all throughout the '80s about Dorian murdering Victor and never paying for it. Of course RS has said that her portrayal of the character has been strongly rooted to that fact and a lot of Dorian's qualities that made her so entertaining were driven by her pre-retcon heart medication bit.

• Members

Even when the show was not in terrific shape, as it wasn't during the time of their 25th anniversary, there was such a wonderful, theatrical quality to ANOTHER WORLD. That's probably the one contribution from Rauch that makes up for all the crap he's forced on viewers since then.

In the writers' defense, they did make a point of having characters such as Amanda say that Gwen didn't always act so, well, Opal-like, lol. Plus, they did a reasonably good job, I think, explaining and/or justifying Gwen's suddenly (and jarringly) hostile attitude toward the Corys. Still, because Dorothy Lyman was perhaps more well-known from her work on AMC and "Mama's Family," I suspect the writers had difficulty separating those roles from Gwen. Either that, or they must've reasoned that having her act un-Opal/Naomi-like would be disconcerting for those who'd remembered her only in those roles.

As for GR's performance...come on, it's the afterlife, lol! Even GR would argue that his brooding, naturalistic, Method-esque style of acting would not be effective in that particular situation.

• Members

Exactly, Amanda says she understands Gwen wasn't always like that and RKK says, "I wonder what happened to her" hence my response. :P And totally, GR was just working with the chroma key afterlife dialogue he was given, he certainly has a flair for it, the hand gestures are awesome.

• Members

I don't think it was so much "burying the hatchet" as it was recognizing that Dorian and Viki were grown women and not petulant children or one-dimensional cartoon characters. No, Dorian and Viki never were on each other's Christmas card list, but if they happened to arrive at the same place simultaneously, they could be civil toward each other and not hurl insults (or worse) at every moment. Furthermore, before Michael Malone and his crew dredged up all that mess over who killed who's father and who did who a favor b/c Victor Lord was a pathetic monster (starting with the time the two were trapped inside Victor's secret room), the feud had been more-or-less settled when Clint and Viki managed to get Dorian evicted from Llanfair. (Remember the scene when they dumped the plastic snake in Dorian's bed, and Dorian jumped b/c she thought it was real?)

• Members

Right, but even then it was like, "Oh that silly pretentious Dorian! ^_^ " With Lord of the Banner/Dorian Does Death Row, you saw Viki suddenly kick up some really strong feelings of hate towards Dorian which to me seemed, "Aren't we a little late on this Vik? :unsure: " Let me ask as I was in high school and didn't catch it every day... was it all Sloan who turned Viki's head to this idea of Dorian being the murderer, or did they give Viki lines like, "I've awlwiz suspected Dorian's involvement in my fahthuh's death..."

Archived