Dark Shadows - The Movie

Marco Dane

• Members

I thought Eva Green was the worst part of the film. I HATED campy Angelique, especially since she was involved in the cheesy comedy aspects of the film. I was hoping for a sexier, darker portrayal. A younger Michelle Phieffer would've been good in the role.

Here's an updated box office report: http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/dark-shadows-opens-with-550k-midnights/

Looks a little underwhelming in the US, but if word of mouth is good and it's consistant, I could see this film doing good. With international sales so strong, it'll be interesting to see where the total is at the end of it's theater run. I also find it so strange that it's doing better overseas (where nobody has seen the original) than in the US. I wonder if there was a different marketing approach that didn't show the film as a comedy.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not surprised the movie is doing better overseas - I'm sure that Burton and Depp are very iconic in other countries (doesn't Depp live in France?). The movie was marketed in a way in the US which would not draw most of the people who loved the original and would not bring in new fans either. It's basically just Burton and Depp jerking off. The sad thing is Dark Shadows will get the blame, not these hacks.

• Members

Depp in particular I've read is the top box office draw internationally. American films often sell overseas almost solely due to movie star popularity (which is one reason actors justify their huge fees--stars don't drive box office the same way as they used to in N America).

To be fair, slightly to my surprise, many of the negative critics have squarely placed blame not on the source material but on the Burton/Depp formula's staleness and saturation.

• Members

I was disappointed that they blended Maggie/Victoria into one character and Laura's brief appearance was too dissimilar to her storyline on the original show. I also wished David had mentioned Sarah at least once.

It actually wasn't as bad as I expected. I think when you finally do catch it on TV you'll be surprised. Also, I disagree with your friend about the lack of a plot; it's all about Angelique and Barnabas and actually is quite close to the original series.

• Members

Just got back from seeing Dark Shadows movie I enjoyed the film - lot of people were there and they sounded like they were having a good time - some there knew DS TV show and some had never seen the show. blink.png

• Members

I am torn between waiting for Dark Shadows to hit tv and going to the movies. I hate spending tons of money at the movies. I already spent money on The Avengers (which I might go see again) and there is must sees Batman and Prometheus and likely go and see Spiderman, and The Bourne Legacy, My friend also wants me to with her go and see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel when it hits town. Argh, I might wait for it to be on tv.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I found it entertaining for what it was, but I thought it was very short-sighted. Had they turned it into a dark, gothic horror film they could've gotten an entire franchise out of it. I can't believe Warner Brothers allowed them to turn it into a comedy. I still have hopes the show will return in some way. Either with CW or SyFy rebooting it as a primetime series. If we could trust Prospect Park, I'd say it would be a good idea for them to do a daytime version of either Dark Shadows or Passions.

• Members

Initially I liked it only because they made a movie based on a soap. The novelty wore off fairly quickly and I viewed it as an extension to the Parallel Time story. That said, I will never watch it again. The series IMO wasn't that campy, or at least that wasn't there intention. Just look at the 70s movies.

Archived