March 15-19, 2010

Toups

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm surprised GH didn't have higher ratings because of the Kristina story last week, but I won't be surprised when the story is deemed a failure. Only GH can make viewers feel little sympathy for a teenage abuse victim. This story is not about a socially relevant issue concerning far too many young women. Instead, it's a plot pointt to redeem the character of Ethan, further the idea of Sonny as a concerned father, and give sympathy and backstory to Sam. Kristina is knowingly and repeatedly blaming an innocent man who has been a friend to her. That alone detracts from the abuse storyline in such a way as to make the girl unsympathetic. Lucky & Dante are investigating their own siblings. Sonny is out to kill his friend's son without getting the truth. And now Sam has a history of being abused by many men in the past, when no one ever knew this before.

Like I said, GH is the only soap that can make us hate an abused girl to prop other characters. This show is but a shadow of it's former self. They wasted an opportunity for what could have been a good story for much of the cast. They should be ashamed. Just my opinion, of course- or maybe not just mine.

• Members

I'm not surprised at GH not going up in the ratings. A story about a teenage girl being beaten and being written as a bad person might thrill Guza but a lot of viewers don't care about this type of message.

None of the soaps are doing much of anything to bring new viewers in. Either they are at best dealing with some type of status quo (like AMC) or they are burning themselves up right before our eyes.

• Members

I thought millions of bigots would tune in. They must be waiting for Kish to get killed off by the rabid gerbil. On a serious note, GH has such young viewers. The show does [!@#$%^&*] in households but number 2 in the demos. I am suprised Y&R hasn't picked up a little in the ratings with the Adam reveal but serves them right for messing with MTS.

• Members

It is always a crap shoot with ATWT and OLTL regarding last place. For the last two years, since ATWT crashed, the two shows have been duking it out for 6th and 7th place. I don't think anyone should take predictions personally or even seriously. Anyone who does it maybe spending too much time on SON and not enough time having fun.

• Members

Failed to notice the humor. I know you care about your show and feel bummed to see it doing so poorly up against a cancelled program. Once ATWT is off the air, OLTL should see a boost considering the two shows run against each other in most eastern markets. I'd guess that, come October, OLTL should gain at the least .1 and maintain a steady 2.0 HH rating with a captive audience. Even if the show stays a hot mess OLTL will never fall below a 1.9 again.

• Members

I doubt that ATWT's audience will migrate to OLTL. They will either keep watching Y&R/B&B or stop watching soaps for good. GL still aired against GH in most markets when it was cancelled, and there was no ratings bump for GH after GL went off the air.

• Members

Sadly, the Kristina storyline makes me think of the "rape as redemption" soaps use to write for bad girl characters (not that she was ever a bad girl). I hate to admit this, but I almost wonder if the writers are in part making Kristina wrong in pointing the finger at Ethan to make it ok for them to redeem Kiefer later should they decide to keep him around. It scares me to think that they might believe the audience will think that she's no innocent victim after this Ethan mess. That would be wrong. I hope the writers aren't that out of touch.

• Members

You make a really good point in regards to GL and GH except for the fact that so many CBS staions aired GL at 10 am in the east. I don't know if this was a national thing but even network-owned WCBS NYC bumped the show into a morning slot. I've always wondered if this harmed GL? I'm pretty sure that GH has actually dropped in households since last year. Suprised that fans do not really migrate much. When AW ended I assumed that ATWT and, later, OLTL when they hired Dano, would make slight gains.

Guessing the Nuke fans won't be flipping over to OLTL which might have provided a slight gain. It seems like the program needs a major retooling because it gets a lot of promo and good reviews but often has trouble beating a dead World Turns.

I still don't get OLTLFan's comment about ATWT ratings. The two shows have been neck and neck since late 2007. Even with the cancellation no one should expect much more of a drop 'cause the show bottomed out about one year ago.

• Members

That is defenitely one of the main reasons GL was always at the bottom of the ratings pack. Who would really watch a soap at 9 and 10am? CBS even let stations that they own, put GL in weird timeslots or not air GL at all. I never got why some affiliates wanted to air GL away from the other CBS soaps.

Archived