March 15-19, 2010

Toups

• Members

Eric, affiliates wanted to air GL in the AM or not at all because the afternoon time slot could be used for syndicated fare such as Dr. Phil which garner local stations more profit. For me, it is very telling that CBS owned staions made this move because it suggests that the network had little use for Guiding Light. It is no wonder the show is gone considering CBS had so little invested in it's success. CBS has historically had weak morning line ups so it is no wonder the show was scheduled in the AM to die. If PGP had taken the CBS buyout offer back in 2001, GH would have landed a great time slot with almost 100% national clearance. Here in NYC, Let's Make a Deal is show in the morning which leads me to think that ATWT must bring in higher rating in this market. Otherwise, ATWT would have been shifted into the old GL slot.

I'm curious to see what ATWT rates during May sweeps with the return of Frannie, Gwen, Will, and Iris. Moore being on the show should being some buzz for whatever week it is shown and, by the end of the month, almost the entire 2007 cast will be restored. While I don't expect the show to pull a 2.4 (the 2007 rating), I do expect a mini-surge--this being regardless of what the Suds Report reports. I know TeleNext wants out but I give Goutman respect for trying to up ratings so late in the game. If World Turns could hold a 2.0-2.1 from May thru summer it is going to be so hard for CBS to justify cancellation. I know the network wanted Days because they have held off on saying what new show will replace ATWT. I know the network won't change it's mind; however, would love seeing them ax a program pulling a 2.0 in its final months.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Take with a grain of salt:

There is a rumor that CBS is keeping an eye on ATWT numbers thru the end of May. Network is impressed by how World Turns has held a 1.8-1.9 and is up year to date even after cancellation. This may explain why CBS.com main page is promoing Eileen Fulton contest and why no new show has been announced. Rumor follows that TPTB feel that the show has bottomed out at current rating and, with proper leadership, only grow. Also, there has been talk of CBS buying future rights to ATWT.

I doubt this is true BUT friend at a company doing freelance work at Chelsea Studios for CBS thinks there could be a small chance and says word would come by second week of June. Take this with a few hundred grains of salt. The only thing that makes me think all this could be true is the idea that CBS did this in order to presure PGP into selling show. Filming would return to Manhattan at either Chelsea studios or CBS Broadcast Center in Midtown which was GL old space. I work 10 minutes from Chelsea Studios and would love this! I bartend and could maybe make Roger Howarth a martini. :)Considered making a thread on this but consider source under-connected. He, along with many others, have heard rumor. They are not fans but, due to line of work, stay on top of such news so to quickly prepare bids.

Again, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

• Members

As I said, grain of salt. All I know is CBS may be relocating a show into Manhattan and friend's company is looking into bidding process. Who knows, maybe they want to move CSI or Good Wife. The rumor is, however, not about anything HD and/or with big star power. Don't shoot the messenger on this or anything else for that matter.

Archived