Predicting OLTL's Demise....why?

• Members

It's sad when Marty is a supporting player in a storyline where SHE is pregnant. She's taking a backseat to John/Natalie. They're wasting SH, I won't be shocked if she bolts when her contract is up. Brody, didn't he and Jessica have potential? They should explore that more.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it wasn't until recently the red-headed stepchild status came back for OLTL. I always got the impression for many years Brian Frons favoured OLTL ahead of AMC... as evidenced by some of the things he implemented there. My guess is word came from the top that AMC was more important to the brand than OLTL is... I think AMC moving to LA had more to do with who Frons reports to than he himself. Frons I think would have loved to cancel AMC.... at least that's how it looked for a long time.

• Members

Another thing, I'm not too fond of a lot of the supporting characters who have been sent off like Oliver, but they are the least of OLTL's storytelling problems. All soaps need these characters. Beyond their B and C stories, they attend weddings, christenings, and parties. If Snoop ever pays another visit, who will be in front of the dayplayers and dance with rhythm to his performances? LOL!

• Members

I really dont care enough about any of those characters to care what happens with them. I loved Todd/Tea but I dont know why they broke up or what the heck is going on there.

John can get killed off.

Rex still has potential if only they'd stop rewriting his backstory to suit their plots.

Marty - as much as I hated them together, she is nothing without Patrick. If they cant get him back, then Marty can leave too.

Starr and Cole - they should get written out this summer as they go away to college together. I dont think they should break up but theres really not much left here for them.

OLTL has ALOT of dead weight. Im stopping myself now bc my plan for a lot of characters involves writing them out. OLTL's biggest problem right now is that it has absolutely no structure and very shaky foundation. There is not a single strong story. Everything is weak at best and either makes no sense or seems as it was thrown together at the last minute.

• Members

She and Brody were great together. That relationship worked very well for her. I was shocked to see them take her back to being addled yet again. They are terrified to ever let this character exist as something beyond mentally ill.

I think Marty as a character died for good when they got backlash over the rapemance. Stuffing her with John and diminishing her altogether is an "out of sight out of mind" excuse.

• Members

they brought her back with no storyline in mind and they had a good 4-5 months since she signed on to think of one. WTF has Kelly done since coming back? Not a damn thing. Now it looks like they are going to insert her in the middle of the never ending Todd/Blair circus so she can once again fight with Blair over a man, one whom she despises. Kelly should have kept her ass in London

• Members

Exactly! And that's why this show is failing so miserably. Its not about who they fired, its about who they didn't and who they seem determined to focus on... the show had something wonderful with Kish and decided to bail....

Kelly was not needed on the canvas.... I mean the last time with Heather Tom they had nothing for her to do as well. Heather sat on the backburner the majority of her time on the show.

• Members

I'm the first person ready to shove OLTL's head under water until the struggling stops but I don't see the recent changes as a sign of imminent doom. If OLTL were truly seconds away from cancellation I don't think they'd be making any changes at all but rather simply letting the clock run itself down. I DO think that this is the last chance, Hail Mary play. I have no doubt the show is the next to be canceled but I don't think cancellation is coming as soon as some think. I know that I have to place some new bets in the OLTL Dead Pool.

• Members

I think its got at least another year, but I doubt its got anymore than 2 years. ABC will drag it out as long as they possibly can... I just think once ATWT is gone and OLTL is at the bottom of the ratings heap it will be a matter of time... and then it will most likely be AMC's turn....

• Members

Kelly should have never returned without Kevin. They could be estranged and unhappy and turning to others for comfort. Is there even a man on the canvas for Kelly? Brody after Jessica going with Chris, maybe?

Starr is the perfect example of everything that is wrong with OLTL. How can she be barely 18 years old with a child and married to her first boyfriend? It is like she is from the backwoods. Who the hell thought that this was a good idea? KA is so horrific that she should have never been given so much story in the first place. She was their only teenage girl for so long and yet she has never been in a real triangle. If they are going to keep her, Starr and Cole have got to break up and be given new stories away from each other for a good long time.

I think that OLTL has two to three years more. However, if those demos collapse badly after ATWT is gone, it will be sooner. ABC is going to have to come up with alternate programming and that won't happen overnight.

Archived