Predicting OLTL's Demise....why?

• Members

With all of the backstage chaos and a potential mental breakdown of one of the show's actors (that's you Farah!), why is everyone quick to assume that OLTL is sealing its own fate? Yes, something seems to be amiss with all of the current 'firings' and losses of Amanda Setton and Tiki Sumpter. I'm sure OLTL knows that its budget needs to be slashed for renewal, but what show doesn't?

Not too long ago when DAYS was given its mandate to slash 40% and let go Deidre, Drake, Stephen, and Mary Beth everyone was calling up the funeral director. Did some fans tune out because of the losses of the 'big four'? Of course they did, but DAYS has not only survived so far, they are on a roll ratings wise.

I think it is too quick to presume that OLTL has just sealed its fate. I will definitely miss Amanda, Daphnee, both Scotts, Brett, and Tiki because they could all act! Character wise though, I won't miss them so much. They truly are on the outside (which is the fault of the writing not the actors). I'd rather see some of the fringe be cut than a favorite lead, or two, or four of mine.

Before you all jump down my throat and say that they should get rid of Michael Easton, Trevor St. John, and J.P./Farah first, I will say I don't disagree with you.

Ways OLTL could redeem themselves:

Stop this Jessica mess.

Get rid of Tea and Danielle. (We don't need Kelly, Blair, AND Tea all in Todd's orbit.)

Finish this baby custody fight and get rid of Mitch/Alison...and even Elijah wouldn't be needed after the lawyering stops.

Get rid of Ford, Hannah, and I'd even write out Langston and Markko now.

Put Viki and Charlie back together.

Bring Kevin back (even if recurring.)

Bring Joey back (I'd love for Jeff Branson. Everyone says Gina lacks chemistry with anyone...i disagree. Those two rocked on GL.)

I'd try a Blair/Clint pairing. (Hey, maybe after Kim, Clint realizes he likes the wild ones and Blair could make Dorian mad.)

just my thoughts.....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One thing to clarify Melroser, you stated the budget is being slashed for renewal.... there is no production contract for either 3 of the ABC soaps. The network can can it whenever they see fit.

I think the reason you are seeing everyone jump on the bandwagon of "OLTL is doomed" because people are calling it as they see it. I am no longer an avid watcher of OLTL, but from what I see on here and from when I do tune in... the show is a complete disaster and seems to be coming apart at the seems. The recent events of the past few weeks have certainly made it even more evident. Come Sept. OLTL will most likely be the bottom rated soap on air and if that continues for any length of time I firmly believe that will be ABC's justification to pull the plug.

• Members

People were saying OLTL might be the next soap to go even before any of these firings. I think the problem is the storytelling on the show, the lack of emotion (pulling faces isn't emotion to me), the lack of connections, the poor pacing, the lack of followthrough. I think the Cramer return is a textbook of that -- throughout this story, we got more of these women dealing with their pointless personal issues (Blair especially, running around worrying about teenage girls and never about what was going on with Mitch) while a lunatic was targeting their family. Then Melinda dies, and almost no one cares. Even her daughter Kelly barely remembered her when it was time to start the weird stuff with Todd.

I know that Todd and John have many fans, and I'm sure Rex has some too, but the way they are currently written and acted I don't understand how they can carry a show. And then there's Jessica, who is so devalued as a character, and Gigi, who is just...ugh, and I don't know what else there is. Viki doesn't carry story now. Bo and Nora seem to have been backburnered. Dorian probably needs an overhaul. The teens are just dull.

When I talk about Kelly and lack of chemistry it's based on the character. I agree that Gina had chemistry with Jeff Branson. She also had incredible chemistry with Rob Bogue. She had chemistry with plenty of people. Unfortunately Kelly is not that type of character.

I'm not saying OLTL is in trouble because of the people who are leaving. It's just the people who remain. What I think hurts the most is that the show has stopped making interesting female characters.

• Members

Thanks Adam, I guess I never thought about the ABC soaps not having renewal contracts since they are actually owned by ABC.

I agree that the writing on OL is a mess and agree with what you said CarlD2. Especially, in regards to the Cramer women 'reunion'. That was purely a publicity stunt but was never actually written as a reunion. As much as I loved Ron C. the first year or so, I have to admit that he has worn me down.

I wish a new writer that understands soaps would come on board and turn this show around. I know! I know! "A writer that understands soaps" probably doesn't exist anymore, or at least not one that is willing to put up with such network B.S. these days. :angry:

• Members

Or defy network BS and write slow-building, emotional stories. I think the only way to move forward now would be to defy the network's demands of "BIG RATINGS NOW OR ELSE"!11

I think the only reason Days has improved its ratings as it has is that they no longer have a Daytime department to meddle in their affairs anymore, and as a result, they're sort of left alone a bit more. I'm fairly clueless about these things so I'm not sure, and I know it makes zero sense for a daytime lineup like ABC or CBS which all have numerous shows to oversee, but the hands-off approach is obviously working for Days so...why is no one else keeping their fingers out of the sockets?

• Members

What's also frustrating is OLTL's rollercoaster-like highs and lows of quality. Unlike say AMC which is like a car that'll shift into a lower (crappier) gear and coast there for a while (without sneaking up and dropping the bottom out from under you making you want to throw up). For me it's like that thing they say about your parents being mad at you isn't as bad as when they say they're disappointed in you. I'm just tired of being disappointed when OLTL has proven that they can set up for great s/l potential, they just don't follow through. I realize that it's not always the creative team's fault, but...

• Members

I remember the build up to Rex/Adriana's wedding with Gigi as the possible spoiler and then enter Brody.

I remember back to Dorian walking into the B.E. Shareholders meeting and taking over B.E. (with Nash's death also happening----which i HATED).

Those were great stories that had most people on the edge of their seats. I think Ron could be a great writer at times...but most of the follow throughs are bad. This past Feb. for instance, with everyone on the mountain. That dragged on for no reason sometimes more than it advanced plot.

• Members

There's a lot of truth in this. I know it's not all down to Ron or Frank and Frons has to get some serious blame, but the number of stories which never seem to have any real aftermath become so heavy that they have a longterm negative impact. I think that's what has helped cause a ratings drop. All the stories in 2008 either came to no conclusion or came to a poor one. Mendorra. Tina's return. Shane's paternity. David as the Buchanan heir. Dorian taking over BE. Nash's death and Jessica's mental breakdown. And worst of all the Tarty aftermath.

• Members

NONE of the recent departures are big losses to OLTL. People are acting like these are vets or characters integral to the show's history which will now destroy the show bc they are gone and/or will be gone. Every last character that has recently been dropped was expendable. OLTL's fate wont be dependent on them. When soaps go through budget cuts, people often bitch and complain when they fire the vets when theres about 5 useless newbies they could get rid of instead. Seems like OLTL is doing that in this situation. Would people rather they fire Robin Strassor, Bob Woods, Kassie Depaiva and/or Hillary B Smith, just so the recent departures can stay? That IMO would hurt the show more in the long run

• Members

I don't know if it's just me, but I get the feeling ABC isn't as invested in OLTL as it is AMC and GH. I've seen alot of OLTL fans say they don't give OLTL the promotion they give AMC and GH.

Cast cuts, if they're trying to save money, why are they cutting actors who in the overall scheme of things don't make that much? That's why I think some bigger names will be cut in the near future

• Members

From the moment that I heard that AMC was moving to LA and OLTL was left behind in NY, I believed that unless something drastic (positive) happened OLTL would be the first ABC soap to be cancelled. I think that the firings that have happened since the Emmys reflect a lack of creativity and an unwillingness to take OLTL in a new direction which is what Days did when it decided to whack off the fat from the top to save itself. Days didn't !@#$%^&*] foot around firing Abe and Lexie who are rarely on or other characters on the margin like OLTL. Days took a deep breath and sent Marlena, John, Stephen, Tony, Kayla, and Anna packing. OLTL firing of these supporting characters tell me that it will continue to do the same crap stories and focus on the same tedious characters which has led it to this low point.

• Members
Its nothing new. OLTL has always been the unwanted red headed step child. GH is clearly the network's favorite but Frons loves AMC also. Ive never got that he really cared one way or the other for OLTL

Im not so sure. I think they are getting rid of all these newbies to spare the vets. Individually they dont make much, but when so many of them are dropped at once, thats quite a bit of money thats saved. Just think like every 3-4 newbies is worth 1 of the bigger names. Well they just got rid of about 8 or so newbies and theres several still on the cast that could be trimmed

Archived