OLTL: Discussion for the week March 8

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I totally loved that, Kevin needs to freaking stay in Llanview.

My poor Viki and Charlie, so much angst. But I did however love to finally hear more about how Viki is feeling, until it got turned around to Todd and Tea. I so want Viki and Charlie to work through this, hopefully Dorian will get through to Viki tomorrow.

I really find myself liking Rachel and Skylar, they were cute, getting all excited about bringing Sierra Rose home.

Gigi and Rex just need to die, or leave town. Doesn't matter which one to me.

• Members

Characters like Sky, Rachel, Kim and Kish (and Layla and Cris, to a lesser extent) are the new breed of this show in terms of bringing in fresh blood to interact with the core families and characters (okay, Rachel's been around but the character's a relatively new return).

SC is carrying this show right now. He is the classic, ultimate tortured soap male. I know we have no choice on one person, but still. Add Kevin onto it and you've got a great show - they obviously want to use him full-time - but Frons doesn't like any of these people apparently except Amanda Setton.

• Members

I love this about Zane being his own special person, which basically means Kelly doesn't give a crap about him or having him show up in Llanview. She's about as worthless a mother as she was a wife and a Cramer and a human being.

I'm happier than ever that they didn't kill Cassie off for a few more minutes of shock. Melinda is one of the long list of female characters over the past few years killed off and then greeted with a shrug within a week.

• Members

As I have said, Sky is carrying this show. He is now Karen Wolek. And Kim is Marco, and Kish, I don't know, Jenny Wolek and Brad? Rachel's somewhere in there. And Rachel is great with Sky, but I fear if ABC'd known what they had in him here they would have tossed her to put him with someone 'bigger' anyway.

I am at a loss as to how old Zane is supposed to be. They say he's starting "secondary school" which in the UK system is ages 11-16, I believe, or they could be using one of several loose US definitions which I think are just regular old elementary school. Then they say he won a boating competition (a youth regatta) with others last year. Then they say the last time Kelly spoke to Melinda, Zane was throwing a (toddler's?) fit. Now watch him show up aged 15.

I wish soaps would have the balls to just age semi-properly and take a risk from time to time. There's such a thing as too many teens, particularly if

Far more unique would be to introduce Zane as a kid aged 6 or 7, an obnoxious, anachronistic British Buchanan - as Kevin said last fall, Zane is allegedly the only Buke with a British accent - and use him in stories with his family. Claire Labine was unafraid to do that kind of stuff, with kids and animals. It brought about a sense of community, which soap production staff in the mid-'90s, afraid of seeming too 'cute' and 'safe' and never being hired to write for say, Nicolas Cage or The X-Files ever again, have been trying to bleed out of the shows ever since. With a few exceptions - like RC, on his good days.

I'll amend the above woolgathering - when Bob Guza became HW at GH I thought he brought an exciting, darker, more adult tone that the show needed. It was possible to get 'too cute.' But without a strong EP guiding him and steering from his excesses he is as bad or worse as any failure out there, and that's what happened when he came back in 2002, as well as his lazy approach to Luke early on which was expedited by Tony Geary's vanity.

Archived