OLTL: Discussion for the week March 8

• Members

Viki is leaving town now? I know ES had to leave bc of her real life surgery, but I kinda wish Viki got injured as well bc it makes no sense why she'd leave town now. With Jessica mentally a child, I would think that Viki would stay in town to take care of her. Not to mention Bree, whom Jessica can not raise right now. Mitch is also still a threat and now Vikiis just leaving. The last time Jessica was going through mental issues, Viki left and she blanmed herself for doing so bc her family ended up being a mess. This is the worst time for her to walk out for a few weeks

Marty is now babysitting Hope alone. I dont think Ive EVER seen her with that baby but of course now that she's pregnant, she convenenitly has a child in her hand

OMG, Roxy just saw her and said "So fast?" Werent you just pregnant a minute and a half ago?"

Edited to add: Im glad Viki just mentioned she's taking Bree. I couldnt imagine her leaving that child in that house with Jessica with the way she is

Cole needs to stay away from that girl. I dont trust her. Ford seemed to have screwed her up She seems too attached to Cole already. I think she's going to come onto him, he's goign to reject her and she's going to cry rape

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm with you. I can't see this going on for much longer, I know it's VERY early but I'm already tired of her. I know that sounds terrible. But it's not even an issue of storyline frustration (as she hasn't had a storyline yet), I'm finding her energy, her schtick a little tiring. That's what I can't imagine having to deal with until her contract is up. I said this a few days ago, but I feel like she would have functioned better in a guest spot. My favorite stuff with her so far were the scenes with David (which was a surprise to me, David's last two visits have been quite fun actually). I don't know. I think Gina needs to get more in touch with her Meryl Streep opposed to her Glenn Close. Anyone feel me on that? She's playing Kelly kind of hard and steely, not saying be a wet Kleenex, but softer colors.

• Members

The thing with Gina is she is a very cold actress. She has been ever since she started on OLTL all those years ago. This works if there is built-in conflict, as there was when she played Dinah. Dinah had decades of life-scarring backstory. There was a reason why she was so hard. Gina played that and played Dinah fighting against those demons. Kelly's backstory amounts to her being a big old retcon, a daughter of a woman viewers had not seen in years and would rarely ever see again. And since Kelly has never had a successful romantic pairing, and since Kelly has actively disliked/passive-aggressively tolerated her family for her entire run on the show, there is nothing else for Kelly to fall back on. She is nothing.

What do you do with that? I don't know. I would suggest that you don't put her into scenes which involve her smirking at people and being glib with them. I would suggest that you do not write this character as being superior just because she thinks she is. I would also remember that it was the ACTRESS, not the CHARACTER, who found success (a lot of people were shocked at how good Gina was on GL), and there is no reason to treat Kelly like a big returning hero. And please no fighting with Blair over any men, especially Todd.

If it were me I would put Kelly with a blue-collar man who calls her on her crap. I don't mean the Rex Balsom WHORE WHORE WHORE charm school, I mean someone who will genuinely care about Kelly but will also push her buttons. No one has ever been allowed to do that with GT's Kelly. They genuflect with her, they twist in the wind, and then she either leaves them, or they die.

I would also have Melinda's ghost appear to her, at least a few times, and also appear to Dorian and Addie. There are many brilliant former soap actresses who would kill in a short term role of this kind. What about Maeve Kinkead?

• Members

Great post, I think you've nailed it, especially about the part of character vs. actor. Kelly is in no position to be acting superior, or even confident for that matter. Any hint of arrogance is not going to wear well on her, we know too much about her for that. She has to earn some of that from us, ON SCREEN, before we can accept that personality direction. She left a little too broken and guilt-ridden for this scrappiness, and within days of her return having her sexually snark around with Todd like they're Dinah and Jonathan isn't right. Right now it's what I'd imagine it being like if Robin Strasser went back to AMC as Christina and they wrote for her like she was Dorian. It's funny because this is not unlike the many takes on Melinda over the years, characters who are sort of character in name only.

• Members

Yes. It's also like when they brought Skye and Rae in to OLTL and GH and they were so OTT and they seemed to think people would care just because she was on AMC or just because Jill Farren Phelps loved them. I will readily admit that I have a longstanding dislike for the old school Kelly and I am in no position to fairly judge her. I'm sure she must be popular somewhere. I just don't think her return has amounted to a whole lot so far. There's this iciness and a lot of writing-by-numbers. The sparring with Blair and the grief over Melinda and deigning to put up with Kevin and Todd leering at her, it's just all disconnected from any emotional center. It's like, she's the next big thing, let's ignore all the problems in the show, and hope she can make them better.

I think that's what I miss the most with OLTL these days, is the heart. This has been a problem with the show, with all soaps, for years now, but, aside from some moments over the years, like when Al died, or when Jared died, you don't see it. I knew this was going to happen but I was still disappointed that Melinda's death amounted to, "How sad. I'm horny/where are the men/Dorian's crazy." This could have been a real goldmine of material. One of my friends who only started watching OLTL a few years ago had no idea who Melinda was and I had to give them a long explanation and show them clips and even then it wasn't really worth the effort. It's like bringing back Marco's old secretary Maxine for a day and having her get run over.

• Members

Just got finished watching today's show...

First and foremost: Who the @#&K does Rex think he is? I so wanted Rachel to throw him out of HER apartment on his rear end.

I :wub: Viki and Charlie!!!

It's so creepy watching Cole and Starr together for me, she looks like a little girl next to him.

Someone needs to slap Jessica into this century.

Archived