February 8-12, 2010

Toups

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you're telling emotionally involving stories with characters you love to love or love to hate, speeding up storylines actually damages that process. Part of the problem with many of the soaps now is the lightning fast pace in which the stories play out. Viewers have no chance to invest in them, or to really care. It's on to the next plot point. Viewers don't have time to FEEL anything, or to CARE. When soaps are at their best, they make us FEEL passionately for the characters and their situations. But head writers these days just throw their characters into one ridiculous story after another, without playing out most of the emotional beats. OLTL, ATWT and GH are the worst offenders. AMC under Pratt was, too, but things are a bit better on that show now that he's gone.

• Members

I see what you mean there. I mean thinking about OLTL, I just think this Mitch storyline has been dragged out for much much too long. I dont think, overall, it has been very popuular anyway, and it's pretty much impossible to emotionally connect with Mitch Laurence, when he is pretty much the devil.

I will agree, that the whole Ross being alive, and Dani findign out Todd was her father, storyline moved WAY too fast. If written slower, and more emotionally, it could have been something we really could connect too.

I think that stories could more easily go longer if they would incorporate side stories. Lately on all these soaps they pick ONE Story and every single episode it's about THAT story only, which then involves a lot of repetition, etc. But if they had like a main storyline that dominated maybe 80% of airtime, and then some side stories that will slowly be introduced to take over when the big story of the moment ends, then I think that it would make people more interested in all the stories.

I agree stories should ggo slow, but I think instead of constantly filling episodes with repetition of what we already KNOW, the writers should come up with interesting side notes that could potentially be big storylines later, as a way of keeping people interested in the transition.

• Members

It is what the public wants and chooses to watch over soaps right now. It is cyclical with game shows. The game show genre dies and is revived with twists. Besides I like Wayne Brady and am glad to see him doing well with LMAD. It isn't like GL which had become pure crap was doing much for diversity. At least, a brother is getting coin hosting a game show and he picks out ethnically diverse competitors out of the audience.

• Members

It's cheaper than GL or ATWT so that means the low ratings are balanced out but the show is just so flat. I love game shows but I don't like game shows which are so obviously done with the minimum of effort. That type of thing is what killed game shows in the first place.

Guest dc cubs

Courtesy of TV by the Numbers

ABC is Daytime's No. 1 Network in Women 18-34 and Women 18-49

Posting its 4th Straight Week of Gains, This Week is ABC Daytime’s Most-Watched Week in More Than 1 Year in Viewers and in Nearly 11 Months in Women 18-49

“The View” Delivers its Largest Total Viewer Audience in Close to 1 Year and Largest Women 18-49 Audience in Almost 4 Months

“All My Children” Hits a 9-Month High in Women 18-34 and Women 18-49 the Week Featuring Greenlee’s Long Anticipated Reveal and the Return of Core Characters

ABC Daytime

* ABC ranked as Daytime’s No. 1 network in Women 18-49 (1.3 rating/877,000 – tie) and Women 18-34 (1.0 rating/327,000 –tie).

* Growing its audience for the 4th consecutive week, this week stood as ABC Daytime’s most-watched week in more than 1 year in Total Viewers (3.23 million) and in nearly 11 months in Women 18-49 (877,000) – since weeks of 1/26/09 and 3/30/09, respectively.

* In a week that included hot topics ranging from post-Super Bowl reactions to press secretary Robert Gates, guest co-host Megan McCain and first time appearances by Jenny Sanford , Jeff Bridges (“Crazy Heart”) and Jeremy Renner (“The Hurt Locker”), this week ranked as “The View’s” most-watched week in almost 1 year in Total Viewers (4.36 million) and in nearly 4 months in Women 18-49 (946,000) – since weeks of 3/2/09 and 11/23/09, respectively.

* “All My Children” posted 9-month weekly highs in Women 18-34 (317,000) and Women 18-49 (802,000) – since week of 5/11/09, the week featuring Greenlee’s long anticipated reveal and the return of core characters.

* For the second straight week, “General Hospital” ranked as the week’s No. 2 program in daytime in both Women 18-34 (No. 2T – 1.0 rating/350,000) and Women 18-49 (No. 2 – 1.5 rating/976,000).

Following are the Daytime Lineup averages, plus Top 5 Programs Ranks –

Week of February 8, 2010:

Daytime Rank: Total Viewers Women 18-49 (Rtg/000s)

No. 1 CBS 3.93 million No. 1 ABC 1.3/877,000

No. 2 NBC 3.33 million No. 1 NBC 1.3/853,000

No. 3 ABC 3.23 million No. 3 CBS 1.2/792,000

Top 5 Daytime Programs in Women 18-49 (rank based on rating)

Program Net Rtg/000s

The Young & the Restless CBS 1.9/1.24 million

General Hospital ABC 1.5/976,000

The View ABC 1.4/946,000

Price is Right 1/2 CBS 1.3/869,000

Days of Our Lives NBC 1.3/853,000

Archived