AMC: Susan Lucci & 'Precious' director Lee Daniels

• Members

Lucci could surprise us somewhere down the road, I think. There have been actors and actresses who were just popular with viewers/audiences in their glory days who took an unusual role in their later years and shocked critics. It'd be awesome to see a post-AMC SuLu playing a drugged out trailer park grandma who boozes and abuses her family, leading them all to fucked up lives.

But really, that role has Kim Zimmer's name written all over it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can picture her either being hired to play a parody of herself (like a Soap Dish 2), or a Sophia Loren type role in Grumpier Old Men. Those are the only roles I could even see a studio possibly signing her on to play. Sorry, but nothing Oscar contending. Susan Lucci is not a compelling, gripping, natural actress. Her little bit part on That's So Raven didn't even stray too far from the La Lucci/La Kane mold. She's worked so hard to become synonymous with Erica Kane that it's worked against her.

• Members

You know, I never would have thought Mary Tyler Moore could have done serious work...and then she did Ordinary People and the rest is history.

So you never know, I don't see Lucci as a drug addict or a hooker or anything low rent...but a supporting character role as a publicist, ad executive, socialite or doctor? Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

• Members

I'm not disagreeing with you, Mary Tyler Moore and Grant Tinker were brilliant in business...what I'm saying is that, as a passive viewer, I wouldn't have seen Mary Tyler Moore as a serious actress and yet she certainly was. The same could be true of Lucci. And with Lee Daniels, it isn't as if she'd be working within Hollywood, he's more on the periphary, which is the future of the business in my opinion.

• Members

She'd do well with that. She'd actully be a good host for any sort of style-related show. When they did that first New Beginnings episode, I was impressed with how well Susan (as Erica but it was really Susan) handled those on-the-spot interviews. She was very charming and natural.

Archived