OLTL: Discussion for the week January 4

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh don't worry they weren't that tight ;)

They have blond ballgags? (are ballgags a gay cliche I don't know about?)

At this point I wouldn't bother recasting him to be honest--Roxie can have her gay children and Nat, Rex and that whole clan (Gigi, Shane) are not characters I really have any worry about seeing again. I'm dreading this custody hearing filling our screens...

• Members

The actors have become unwatchable IMHO, but the writing for them sucks too. Just cutyour losses.

Funny I enjoyed yesterday so much overall, and then today hardly at all. (I like Todd on the show, but not how they justify his actions and I like him with Tea but none of this makes sense--I can'teven tell if Blair ever loved Todd this year, or if she believes what she says, or if we'remeant to believe what she says or what--and I don't really care).

When Dorian looked shocked at who Mitch wanted to be chief of police they cut to Todd and I briefly thought Mitch wanted Todd as Chief. Which would make no sense but be no less weird than some other things on the show..

Oh and who's Carol Swift? :clueless:

Agreed though Gigi isn't really any better--she based her life around SHane so now that he's healthy she's meant to basically ignore him for Sky, etc--it's all such an awful awful story.

• Members

No, Gigi is awful too, she has allowed her son to be warped, and she comes up with the most ridiculous plans she thinks are for Shane's benefit.

Carol Swift was the first woman Todd raped. Nora found out about her during the Marty rape trial in 1994; it's one of the reasons she threw the case.

Aside from a little joke during the KAD killer story, they don't mention her anymore.

• Members

I think one of the things that makes Gigi so tiresome for me is the way FF delivers the bulk of her lines with this sort of "I give up on life" undertone. Like, Gigi's life will never truly get better and all moments of happiness will be fleeting. She seems old and jaded beyond her years, she needs a super fun goof ball boyfriend to lighten her up and let her be a kid, not a snark like Rex or Schuy, not anyone as intense (yet decent) as Brody, not anyone as good and upstanding as a Joey Buchanan, and not a neurotic nerd a la Petey Courtlandt or Spinelli... hell, I don't know if this type I'm talking about even exists on soaps. Just someone to lighten her up and make her LOL until her stomach hurts.

• Members

They never should have been made lead characters. They can't do dramatic material. People used to laugh at how bad Farah Fath was on DAYS, and now they give her the same type of heavy, ridiculous material. And JPL is just not cut out for anything beyond small doses.

If a viewer believes something like this is a big part of OLTL, no wonder ratings have declined.

• Members

i agree 100% with this.

i think they did a fine job of being a supporting couple storyline. they worked in B and C stories with some light hearted tender moments and more comedy. even drama would work for them when kept at a minimum. but then the entire show became a rex/gigi prop, and tied in with the time travel storyline and then the stacey fiasco... oh man.

• Members

OK, maybe it is because I am coming to OLTL after a period away (all the newbies were turning me off there for a while) but I watched yesterday's episode and LOVED it. I mean, Florencia. Girl, you are awe-SOME. I loved the final shot of Todd and Tea kissing being reflected in the mirror. It sort of underscores how complementarily schizo these two are. Even Mitch was tolerable, thanks largely to another fierce diva, Dorian. Damn, remember when Higley used to write Dorian as practically recurring? She was Clint's afterthought back then. Thank god she got her balls back.

Maybe it is because it has been a while that I stuck with the Gigi/Rex scenes. IA with JackPeyton, though, this is a supporting group of people at best. They shouldn't be hogging up so much screentime. JPL looks like he is auditioning for "Elastic Face: The Jim Carrey Story" movie-of-the-week.

• Members

Hush now! I actually liked Ross & Blair! The actor (Michael Lowri?) was a hottie and, shocker, he sparked with her. But then they started doing the whole "Oh, BTW Ross is a psycho" thing which came out of nowhere. And chasing the annoying whiney kids across the globe. That's when i tuned out. Not because I have any particularly loyalty to Ross or anything... it was just that, at that point, I just couldn't get engaged with the show on most anything. Crazy Doctor Looney Running Through the Halls of Llanview Hospital Screaming and Wailing was only funny the first few 100 times I rewatched it.

Archived