GH: Did James Franco hurt or help?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I´m his fan too, but he is not really on the show. So far his only meaningfull scenes were the first night with Maxie and his meeting with Jason. Besides that, there is just random stuff inserted into episodes where he is not saying anything, is always alone in his atelier, looks mysterious and does weird things while the Mad World plays in background. And because they have so little stuff with him, all characters around are just stuck in endless filler and have to rehash things again and again till Mr. Guza decides it´s time to use another 5 mins. of worthy stuff with him to move the story little far.

Honestly, except the scene with Maxie where he actually had a chance to have some fun with the character I think Franco could be played by anyone and there would be no difference. And we could atleast see Franco interacting with people on daily basis and maybe even get to know more about him. This was just too big of a compromise. Either they should tell Mr. Franco he really has to work more than 3 days and learn some stuff, or they should use him just as some cameo and not build an entire story on him.

• Members

Well I never really understood the need to have to drag this out for 2 months which is basically what they did. If he was only available for 3 days, fine develop a 2 week story he could have been used in or condense this current story into 2 weeks and run it during sweeps if he is allegedly a big draw. But he's not a big draw plus I have no doubt ABC wanted to milk his time and I'm sure they felt they'd get more people tuning in than they have. Dragging it for 2 months I am sure they felt they'd get an uplift that lasted 2 months.

I find it hard to imagine ABC is happy with the result. Hey but I could be wrong. And I still feel his appearence hurt more than it helped.

• Members

Harm? The fact that the mainstream media can now cry that even getting a movie star can't draw in viewers. Whether I believe he's a big star or not, I could see them twisting this to endorse their position that the genre is dying and nothing, not even getting a big name, helps. But that's how I see it. In 6 months it's likely everyone will have forgotten about this whole thing.

• Members

Hmm I did't know that. I thought all the magazine articles, the WSJ interview were all making a huge deal out of his appearence on a soap. I know he kind of poked fun at it on SNL. Maybe at the end of the day, the only ones in this who really look foolish is ABCD. JF got what he wanted which was material for the film they are making along with experience and material for his Columbia degree, and the media got another opportunity to poke fun at soaps.

• Members

Well if he had been on B&B it couldn't have been any worse than the cheezy lines he had to deliver on GH, cringe worthy, then again maybe it was supposed to be campy, if I am supposed to take this Franco crap seriously.... *shudder*

Archived