GH: Did James Franco hurt or help?

• Members

Maybe he did bring in viewers but many others were so turned off by how JJ's return and Lucky's story is going, those fans have just tuned out. There are other stories still going on on GH, mainly the LL2 cheating story and the Dante crap. Not one uplifting story is happening. And that Dante/Lulu romance is about as exciting as a dead fish.

The only thing IMO that has helped ratings at all are the 2 events GH did recently. The Carnival they got an uplift and Claudia's death. JJ might have caused a slight blip but I have to think fans were turned off from seeing the JJ/BH version of Lucky and Liz with Liz cheating on Lucky again. Jason and Sam did nothing for ratings either. In fact their much proclaimed reunion drew in probably the lowest audience all summer.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It has to be more. I don't think any of the mob stories are interesting, but the audience usually laps them up. The opinions of two vocal online fanbases that are < .00001 of the audience have no impact on the ratings and do not reflect the opinions of wider audience, imo.

• Members

Jason has been made to be such a major part of the show over this past decade that when his story grinds to a halt I think it does possibly have some impact, especially since they may have already lost some fans by ending the Jiz story.

• Members

And the ratings continue to decline with Jason at the helm. The audience watching may love the mob, but it hasn't stopped their audience from eroding like the audience has for almost every other soap.

Franco just did nothing to stop the continual drop these shows experience.

• Members

Good one, Jane. :lol:

I agree with you on all of that. Not only was the carnival a good event, but it was well produced and looked great. The build up to Claudia's death was good as well. The death, however, and that cover up and Michael's behavior is a huge downfall. I really think they should have taken a different route with Michael after he killed her, like maybe sending him into some traumatic state of shock.

IMO, bringing back JJ was a mistake and if they felt having JJ return to the role he originated and continuing with Liz cheating on him is a huge turn off to the fans they were trying to appease. I think the fans of JJ and BH's Lucky and Liz want them to just ride off into the sunset and be happy, or at least not have Liz sleeping with the fat brother of the love of her life.

Jason and Sam are yawn city.

• Members

I think the people who don't love the mob aren't going to ever want to see these stories, and the people who do love the mob are also going to be bored by this type of story, which is just pseudo-intellectual blather. They get more thrills out of stuff like Michael butchering Claudia.

• Members

But the Franco story and its promotion was all about Jason. The promotion must not have connected with the viewers who usually come back when there are promoted stunt. I simply do not believe that whether members of a minuscule vocal online fanbases watch or not have any impact on the ratings.

This I believe. The guns, shooting, and violence must appeal to the GH audience more than we want to believe. It is why they watch and why Guza writes it.

• Members

The story is about Jason technically, but the structure of the story as such is just "Who is Franco?" which nobody really cares about.

I think the audience GH now caters to wants more blood and violence and misery, done with slight artistic flair, like that sicko stuff with Claudia's death and her body being removed. That even got a lot of hype here, in some quarters.

• Members

The Claudia stuff had to be planned out months in advance as they knew they were writing out Claudia. I think they knew Claudia was going months before SBr got told and had her exit story already mapped out. The Franco stuff is boring but was not really planned out. Perhaps once he starts kidnapping women with Jason rescuing them, the audience might get drawn back in. I don't think Jason is going to kill Franco which will probably be a letdown to the audience since I think they enjoy seeing Jason kill people.

As much as onliners bitch about how heavily the mob is played out and how more the hospital needs to be featured, the offliners have to lap it up. And despite all the claims online, the hospital on GH was never the real popular part of the show. It was the WSB and all the action with Robert and Luke and Anna. And the 90's was all about more socially relevant subjects.

• Members

Sadly they probably do which is why I always wonder how they measure failures and successes on their shows. Pratt for all his pitfalls and terrible stories actually did stabalize AMC's ratings and he's gone. Guza writing a boring Franco story which caused ratings and demos to drop again keeps a job. Go figure.

COuld you have seen Franco on B&B as an OTT Stanley Tucci Devil Wears Prada type in the fashion industry. That could have been fun especially with B&B's OTT campiness.

• Members

I never even bothered to tune in. Once I ascertained the details of what his story was going to be and who it would affect I knew it was pointless. I could be wrong but to me it sounded like yet more propaganda surrounding Jason. I really don't know what would have enticed me but the knowledge that it was a 6 week stunt certainly didn't help matters either. I can watch Milk or Tristan and Isolde in 4 hours when I want to see Franco why would I tune in to GH to do it?

• Members

That's shocking to me. Most of my friends my age (20s) sorta see him as someone who, if he appeared in a movie they were already seeing, they'd think "OH COOL--that guy again". That's not a movie star.

Submitting yourself to the torture of Tristan and Isolde over GH does say something about its quality ;) I'm a big fan--have been since Freaks and Geeks. As Ann on here knows I made it through about 2 weeks to watch him--and that was it. Blame part of it on being busy and distracted in the holidays, but...

Archived