GH: Did James Franco hurt or help?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh. Dear. I'm not a regular GH watcher, I gave up circa 2003, but from what I've seen in the last few years, the show has really spiraled to the point that, if I hadn't kept up with it somewhat, I'd tell you that it's a totally different show. This story just blew on all levels.

• Members

I think he helped the show. The episodes he was on in any significant capacity were far more entertaining than the episodes he was not. I like his character and didn't mind this story at all. Ok, it wasn't really a deep story, and not even as deep as a story in a comic book, but we got a hero, we got a villain, now we have damsels in distress. It is what is is and doesn't pretend to be anything more. I thought JF was good at playing crazy, I thought the slight homoerotic infatuation he showed toward Jason made the scenes interesting because you had to think always for a moment about just what it was you were actually watching, and he played with with SB and Kirsten Storms. I was sorry there was not more with he and her, to be honest. I just look at it as Steve Burton is Adam West, James Franco is Frank Gorshin, and I guess that makes Kelly Monaco a less pretty and less curvy Yvonne Craig.

I don't see how he could hurt; it's not like the show was just that entertaining and he interrupted what were thrill packed and gripping stories.

• Members

I think it was a non-event. Franco fans who don't watch soaps weren't going to start watching them just because of him and hardcore soap fans weren't going to welcome him with open arms.

I happen to like James Franco and I really like Marsha Thomason so I gave it a shot. Unfortunately was I got treated to was Franco ripping Thomason's shirt open, saying "Let's get this over with" and him staring at pictures of some skeletal blonde bound and gagged on the floor. No thanks.

• Members

Are you serious?! His last air date is next week, but yet his storyline hasn't even done anything yet. All we know is that he's a creeper who is obsessed with Jason, and likes death? And it took GH two months to tell us that...I dont think Franco has any useful scenes yet. His scenes with Maxie are disgusting, and show us that even though they tried to convince us otherwise for years, Maxie is still a cheap whore. And this whole nonsense of "Spinelli please cheat on me!!!' is about as tolerable as watching a catepillar cacoon itself. Yawn.

Franco just randomly appears at the end of episodes eating dinner by himself, and fawning over pictures of Jason...So, what is the point of this? He hasnt even had a storyline yet. They have done nothing to tell us who he is. It's been well over a month and we know absolutely nothing about him. I don't get why GH would bring on this actor and pay him for a two month appearence, and then just not even tell us anything about him until his last week?

I have two theories:

1. GH never really had any plans,but brought Franco on for the (failed) publicity. They will continue to have him just randomly appearing and obsessing over Jason until his last airdate, when he will do something to offend Jason and Jason will shoot him in the head. Then, Jason will wonder why Franco was so obsessed with him, and will continue to discuss it nonstop until finally they go on one of their roadtrips and discover that Franco is in fact a long lost Alcazar, and that he just wanted to creep Jason out to avenege his numerous dead relatives.

2: Absolutely everything we need to know about Franco and his love for Jason will be revealed in his last episode. Jason and Sam will be creeped out and kill him, hide the body, and never mention it again.

Honestly, I hope I am wrong...But I see no point in the Franco storyline. He is creepy...And not in the good intriguing kind of way that draws you to horror films, but in the kind of way that makes you think "Is this over yet?". I just don't get why GH would wait THIS LONG to tell us something about him. Instead they gave him no storyline, but instead we get the lovely videos of him shooting paintballs at a picture of Carly, and then of course there is that ever so nice image of him eating dinner by himself on New Years eve while "My Girl" played in the background. I am disappointed in this storyline, and my bet is that we have to sit through two more weeks of Franco as we know him, and on his last episode he will reveal why he is obsessed with Jason. Then Jason will blow his brains out, bury him, and no one will ever mention Franco again. The end.

• Members

I think the biggest problem with this story(in addition to how much it sucks) is the actual written scenes. I think what Guza attempted was some sort of "indie film"-esque vibe, except it failed miserably. He should have commissioned one of the team members to write the dialogue.

Visually, the story is absolutely appealing. The use of colors in Franco's "painting" montage, the multilevel loft set, almost everything on a visual level in those scenes look great. But unfortunately, that does not constitute a story. And James Franco does this weird lip pouting thing with his head cocked back, reminiscent of a classic Michael Jackson video. It was really bad during his scenes with Laura Wright.

I don't think James Franco is a bad actor. But I don't think he "gets" daytime and I don't think he wants to get it. I think he's having fun playing a cliche, even though that's what Guza was totally not going for.

James Franco may have been way more fun(and would have had more fun) had he simply played a campy, mustache twirling villain. Valentine, the long lost Cassadine or someone seeking revenge against Robert and Anna via Robin/Patrick. I think Guza had this unconventional idea that, on paper, may have sounded good to him so he could impress this film star with this untypical soap story. The problem is, though, that the story(just like everything else mob-centric on GH) is so unconventional that it's continuing to put off their fanbase. The ratings and the criticism reflects it. All I hope is that they get one hell of an explosive Emmy Reel out of this.

I can't wait until "Franco" is gone, so we can focus more on stuff like Michael becoming a drunk, Kristina being abused by her boyfriend, and Patrick being tempted by his slutty, judgmental football watching ex.

• Members

I don't think that it crossed Guza's mind that Franco could have a story outside of Jason. Even if Guza had made Franco a Cassadine, there was no way that Robin and Patrick would be involved, more likely Franco would take revenge on the Spencers. Guza puts characters in boxes and never lets them out. I don't think that Guza even remembers that Robin as a Scorpio should have adventurous stories with a villain to defeat. Instead she is stuck at the hospital with Patrick. Even Sam who is supposed to be danger girl is really Jason's enabler and frequently the damsel in distress in need of rescue.

It is a guarantee that GH will win an Emmy for a Franco episode. No way do the voters pass up a chance to heap praise on Franco and get the genre more publicity.

The Kristina story may peak my interest, but I don't see Micheal becoming a drunk because that would introduce too much AJ and Robin is stuck with Patrick no matter what so there is no point.

• Members

I think that's the problem in a nutshell. For all the accollades about Franco, he's not a populist actor, he's not a star. Sure he was in Spiderman but heck who remembers Franco.It's kind of like Avatar or ET, who remembers the actors in those films unless they are big names and/or had a real standout performane like Heath Ledger did in The Dark Knight. he's a cult actor, has done a lot of respectable work and is really good but this style of story doesn't fit GH or the Soap genre. In attempting to make this story some sort of intellectual war, it's lost the audience that follows this show. Carl already said most who like the mob, enjoy stuff more like Claudia getting murdered with all sorts of blood and gore.

I think you hit the nail on the head. They should have just made him a Manny type who was an OTT villian and gone that route. I'm sure Franco would have enjoyed it and the fans certainly would have enjoyed it more than this psychological war that's going on.

I wonder why Guza went this route? Who's he trying to impress?

As far as Emmy's, GH will get one as will Franco for supporting actor or some nonsense like that.

• Members

Guza obviously resents being in daytime and wants to be seen as above soaps. He's spent a decade trying to turn GH into a Sopranos/24/etc. knockoff. I think he saw this as his big chance to show everyone how much better he is than the usual soap. He may think he can get that big film or primetime career.

• Members

Maybe one day another network will hire him to write a primetime show, and he will leave GH for it. Then the show will fail miserably and he will be out of a job. Meanwhile, GH will have hired new wrtiters and their ratings will have skyrocketed upwards, and therefore they will refuse to re-hire Guza.

I think I shall put that on my 2010 Christmas list.

Archived