Y&R Episodes Discussion

• Members

The ratings are near their record lows. I think we are in a holding period, and eventually they will start to fall again.

I don't know if the problem is we don't trust the writers, it's that the writers are lazy, gutless, and have little interest in good storytelling. They just amble along, pushing their agendas. It was actually made worse when they tried to put on airs about how they were writing for fans.

I just wish they would fire Sheffer and Hamner.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

These record lows were set by MAB! The ratings are in the toilet. I don't understand why people keep saying that the ratings haven't fallen...yet. Since MAB joined the show during the writers strike the show has been a ratings disaster. Katherine Chancellor held the show up for a while, but now that Jill and Kay are back to their poorly written selves, the ratings are bad down. To think under 5 million viewers is accceptable for Y&R is sick.

• Members

I like Billy Miller. He was about the only enjoyable thing on AMC for months. But I think the writing of course is poor and he's lost interest as so many of the rest have. The only actors I really see still bringing it on despite the horrible writing is Peter Bergman, Michelle Stafford, Jess Walton(for as little as she's on) and Sharon Case. That's not to say I am enjoying any of their stories but I think these actors to me are total pros and seem to work the material as best as they can.

I also don't see any remarkable chemistry with Billy Miller and anyone. But I also don't see the great appeal of Lane or Chloe either.

But that said not all these actors can be that bad and the chemistry that terrible. Most of it's the writing.

The character who's writing I have detested the most over the past year or so is Phyllis. I love MS and find her incredible. Phyllis should be a schemer and wackjob what's happened to her. I tend to think the writers just don't understand the character. In fact I suspect that's the problem with most.

• Members

Surely someone with clout at this shows knows how poorly thought out these stories are, how badly motivated the characters are, how badly paced the stories are, how crappy the day to day writing is, and how most of the 'A' stories feel like 'C' stories, as well as the plethora of other very noticeable problems. And if they do know, it's very sad there's been no steps to correct them.

This show reeks of mismanagement and it's really sad to see it sink to such disastrous creative lows.

• Members

I don't buy them completely either, but Y&R is one of the most watched shows on the web. I love it that CBS has to admit that on their site. So while while Y&R is not what it should be right now (imo) a lot of people seem to still care enough to watch it either on TV or by watching online.

• Members

Watching Jack admit all to Victor before TEVN left town was sweet, but now they have Jack bragging about what he did to everyone as if he still can't be prosecuted or as if people didn't know, what does this do for the character but add to his cowardice characterization? Jack hates Victor and he's a snake those are two staples Y&R run on but it kind of makes no sense that since Adam's release Jack freely admits to his role in "the diary fiasco" to just about any and everyone now. What changed?

• Members

I will give them as much so Thad Luckinbill has been surprisingly good with this Tucker story. Tucker himself is all kinds of corny.

I still think that most stories could be watchable with better actors driving them. Muhney, Morrow, Heinle, Goddard, Khalil just can't hold their own - it's pathetic. The only one with charisma - allowed to be on center stage these days - is Adrienne Frantz and she's a mere sideplayer in that torrid Daniel story. Better actors in the driver seats of the A stories (which basically are between bland and so-so) would probably even make the B stories watchable.

• Members

Adrienne Frantz may be game -- and you know this is where we agree to disagree, sheilaforever -- but I really cannot stand to hear that baby-doll voice one. More. SECOND. I will give her this -- Amber has made me root for Phyllis again! I can absolutely see what Phyllis sees when she looks at Amber and thinks "It is because of you and your crazy ex-boyfriends and theiving of other people's money that my Daniel is on the fast track to Death Row." I have to agree that Amber tends to bring a lot of this mess on herself.

IMO, MVP from the little I have seen has been Stafford (NEVER thought in a million years I would say that) and, surprisingly, that frat-boy Josh Morrow.

I badly want to shake Amelia Heinle because you can see from Loving what this girl is capable of. Must try harder! Goddard is drowning in schmaltz and seems to love swimming in this kind of badly-written treacle anyway. Khalil is just an appalling and lazy actress who really would rather play herself instead of investing any actual effort in the role. Why should she? Y&R have given her everything she wanted on a plate. She got her role back, she got the frontburner romances, her alleged backstage nemesis left the show in short order, she got puppies and kittens and rainbows and it's all, like, totally the cutest thing EVER.

Muhney is doing the best he can but he never really gelled as Adam, not the way Engen did. I'm sure TIIC didn't help when they told him he had to play a one-note villain.

Everybody is coasting on this show. This must mean that even their overpaid asses know it is in the shitter.

• Members

When Stafford "acts" and does not phone in her lines I love watching her. I can believe she could make it work if she's at work herself. Morrow how-ever fromt the clips I've seen here and there is doing Line Readings in motion, he only looks decent next to Stafford and Case in the respective stories but as I actually watch him directly I totally see the boredom. He's one step above Heinle at this point, barely trying or maybe he finds the material overbearing or overwhelming, what-ever it is it is evident he's not into it.

• Members

Well Muhney also lacks charisma imo. CE had a midwestern sort of naive or innocent charm to him. So even though the viewer saw that he was no good, you're a bit more perplexed by the character & prone to give him more chances. He potrayed Adam's vulnerability whether it was purposefully or CE's personality seeped into his own interpretation of the character that is a big difference to me.

Archived