Y&R: Discussion for the Week December 7

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it is a bad sign when a soap inserts multiple flashbacks of what you might have missed over the last week. To me that is an acknowledgement that the crap they are pumping is leading to viewers tuning in once a week and they don't want them to feel lost and tune back out. However, the scenes they are choosing to replay are of the exact story lines that are turning the viewers off.

• Members

If Billy did reek of acohol, shouldn't someone in his family be concerned? Back in the David Tom years I recall that Billy had a drinking problem.

I have to roll my eyes when he goes after Victoria. By the way he's acting you would think she was just as bad Victor when it came to her treatment of Colleen. I wish JT would tell Billy to keep his nose out of his marriage and stop using Colleen to do it.

• Members

It's just awful, awful writing. I can't even be bothered with Billy and his reasons because they're too stupid to get worked up over. That the show is humping Colleen's corpse for this justification is shameful. They keep trying to have it both ways with Billy, keep trying to make us pity him. Don't they see that if they just had Billy say, "I'm screwing with you because I can't stand you," he would probably get more support than using Colleen?

I don't even know if the people at Y&R now think men can have drinking problems. They may just see "real" men as being able to handle their liquor.

• Members

Meh, nothing about this show to discuss.

I honestly can't find anything of interest to speak about when watching this show, and by the looks of it, so do most of you.

Something about this show feels "dead."

Weren't we supposed to see some sort of creative upswing at the end of the year? Guess not. Everything is shoddily executed on this show and the episodes themselves can range for dreadfully boring to dreadfully offensive.

• Members

Yep.

Colleen's "death" like Brad's death before it has been a disastrous flop with very little real impact. It feels like the only reason she died was because they needed yet ANOTHER vehicle to prop their star boy Billy Miller/Billy Abbott. This whole Billy going after Victoria business is laughable and stupid. It's poorly thought out, and we all know if they ever actually chose to write Victoria true to character and had a better actress in that role, Billy would be no match for her.

Not surprised they're forgetting that David Tom's Billy had a drinking problem, they seem to want to distance themselves from who the character was and what Y&R used to be like, a shame really. Nor do I trust this writing team to explore alcoholism very effectively, anyway.

• Members

LOL I was going to watch this epi but I just read the daily recaps and changed my mind. It is funny because I came into this thread thinking at least some highlight of story would be discussed so I can grasp a better idea of how scenes played out but wow @ the responses. It really is that bad isn't it? Hey where is Mark H?

• Members

I don't like Maria Arena Bell or feel she brings anything to the show. She proved this during her horridly boring solo stint, and now with Sheffer and Hamner, she proves what a weak leader she is and how bad she lets everything bad slip through the cracks.

She really should seek out a more competent Co-Head Writer, if we can't get rid of her, preferably one that really gets basic soap elements. It seems like she takes all the credits when things are looking up and none of the blame when things are going bad, like most of this year. Also, getting rid of a few staff writers, tightening that writing team and finding some better replacements would go a long way and making the day to day writing more bearable too. Getting rid of Paul Rauch and begging David Shaughnessy to come back to producing the show would be nice too.

She could make changes if she wants to, but does she care enough, or is she still blissfully arrogant and still believes its the fault of the fans for not liking this sh!t?

Archived