Record Producers

Sylph

• Members

HAHA well then you'd have a huge problem with him LOL. Though he did do some more ornate productions that mixed strings and "real" instruments, obviously his genius was with synths (and by the 80s he was almost 100% synths) and even as an unabashed fan I admit if you don't like synth heavy tracks, you won't like him.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh goodness.... the bitch doesn't sing! LOL All she does is talk off key over the music. And she looks like a tranny as well. Sylph, I like Synth SOMETIMES. I don't get one thing, what is the difference between "Dated", and "Period"? Really it's nothing but a few decades. OF course, when it comes to synth, I only like some things, it's not an across the board by any means. Donna Summer had a European hit at the very start of her career, "Lady Of The Night".. I know it was co-written by Moroder...and I think it was produced by him as well, and although it used Synths, it's a mixed production, and I like it alot, probably one of the only times you'll hear castanets in a Moroder song:

Eric, at the time, "Thief Of Hearts" got airplay around here for sure... but dropped off quickly, it peaked at number 86... but did go to number 18 on the adult contemporary charts. So it made a "small dent" in the charts, but that was about it.

• Members

:lol::lol::lol:

It's not that I don't like synths, I do. I prefer a clever mix of live instruments and synths. But sometimes a song just calls for synths and nothing else. I often wonder how will today's electropop age - will these synths stay, at least some of them, or will all of them be proclaimed awful and dated, too?

• Members

I've wondered that as well, we had an "embrace" of technology, but you DEFINATELY don't hear electronic drums anymore, it seems that perhaps now there's a rebellion against technology. But here's an example of a song that is all done ion synth that is GOOD, this duo is a couple of French Canadians... and this was a big hit in Canada, but only made it to number 92 in the US... it's a great song, though... and the melody line is what makes it, IMO:

• Members

However that electronic drum sound was often real drums--at least with Moroder. Even his groundbreaking I Feel Love all the drumming was done "the old fashioned way" by Keith Forsey, arguably the best drummer of his time (he later became a producer--produced and co wrote a ton of the early Billy Idol stuff like Dancing With Myself and did his own share of Moroder-esque synth scores, for Breakfast Club among others)\

I'm Canadian and I've never heard of that One to One song. It's fun though :P

• Members

i LOVE AManda Lear lol (she actually used Moroder's studio and team often, though for whatever reason never him--Faltermyer did many of the early arrangements). Her best stuff is the stuff co written and produced by Anthony Monn--in fact when she left him sometime in the 80s her albums became basically not worth investigating. The highlights IMHO are the single Blood and Honey (kinda a lesbian vampire saga told with disco drums) and her second, and best album Sweet Revenge which includes on Side One the *amazing* Follow Me Suite (I readsomewhere that nearly every jukebox in Germany STILL has at least one song from the suite in their program). It's so ridiculous and eurodiscotastic--with very Moroder-esque drums ;) Telling of a girl who just barely escapes being led astray by the Devil :P

I love Donna and Moroder but hate her Lady of the Night album--pre disco. It's kinda German Jager (sp?) pop--like early ABBA was (I'm talkign crap like King Kong Song) I just find it tacky. I get why Syklph hates Moroder's production but I honestly find it not cheap or tacky at allbut surprisingly rich--especially his more experimental stuff like the Cat People score. Certainly it's come back into fashion (the production on BEP's Meet Me Halfway just being one example)

• Members

BAM! :lol: And again - I'm spot on as to what Eric's tastes are! :D

Someone who has this

Amanda_Lear_-_Never_Trust_A_Pretty_Face.jpg

as their album cover photo has got to be weird. BTW, she apparently released a new album 2 days ago. :mellow: Apparently, it's meant to get her back on those dance charts.

m_54429c77b6324bae87c602f9b7a9a8a0.jpg

• Members

Yes and an online buddy of mine, Peter Wilson produced some of the tracks on it and has hysterical stories about collaborating wth her... From what I've heard it's nothing groundbreaking (sorry Peter) but it's nice to know she's still pumping them out lol She is stilla big celeb in Italy--talk shows, etc.

And BAM yourself Sylph :P;)

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Not anymore – no more Laurent Boutonnat!

Mylène Farmer jumped on the RedOne bandwagon!

Two songs by RedOne, including that album-announcing single Ou mais… non, the rest is by Moby. I'm sure you already know this. The title is Bleu Noir.

sshot1mu.png

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Sylph, this is a week old, but did you catch it? Unfortunately I don't think the full piece is here, but even though I don't like a lot of Dr Luke's stuff (and will always be angry he helped unleash Ke$ha on us), I admit to liking a lot of what he's done with horrible artists (*coff* Katy Perry), and am always interested in behind the scenes stuff.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/dr-luke-hitmaker-beat-master-music-producer-katy-kesha-britney-spears-12953677

Archived