Soaps Original or Working Titles

• Members

Would anyone like to contribute to this list of shows that had different titles before their premiere?

Some I recall

Loving was originally called Love Without End

Y&R was The Innocent Years

Secret Storm was The Storm Within

Falcon Crest was The Vintage Years

Are there any working titles you prefer,or think might have worked?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I first read about the original title of 90210 being 20854 on Wikipedia a while back, I couldn't help but wonder if that was just wishful thinking/urban legend created by some rich kids from Potomac trying to claim their Darren Star. :P But it's most likely true. I do remember reading about 90210 in some TV magazine before it came out and it was being called The Class of Beverly Hills, so I guess they decided to go with the zip code thing after all. At any rate, Potomac is *definitely* deserving of the Darren Star treatment, I hope he can come up with a series set in his hometown one of these days. I think CA locales are totally played out.

Speaking of which... Pacific Palisades was originally entitled Brentwood, but a little matter concerning O.J. Simpson (that is the second time I have mentioned him on this board today!) was going down at the time, and Aaron Spelling thought a name change was in order.

• Members

You are truly a youngin' in my book if you didn't read this firsthand in the pages of SOD/SOW, but remember when the working title of The City was LOVNYC? They never intended to call it that, but that's how they referred to the revamp. Bill Bell never intended to stick with this name either, but The Bold and the Beautiful's working title was Rags.

• Members

Didn't NBC want to call Sunset Beach something else because it was too soon after Santa Barbara for another 'SB' and because no soap opera containing the name of the location in the title had ever lasted long term?

• Members

Maybe they backpedaled, because I definitely remember reading in SOD a couple of weeks before they announced it would be called The City that TPTB had never intended for it to be called LOV♥NYC permanently and they were still working on a title. I actually liked the title LOV♥NYC, and with Loving's great ballad openings, I imagined the new show's themesong with a synth/autotune voice repeating "L-O-V-N-Y-C-L-O-V-N-Y-C..." :P But that title definitely had a late '80s/early '90s ring to it, along the lines of Red Shoe Diaries, Silk Stalkings, or that perfume they sold at the drugstore there used to be commercials for, P.S. I love you.

Archived